Sponsored

A nice little trick. Auto Start-Stop disables automatically in cold temperatures.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I am getting used to the auto start-stop and it has a much better calibration than other vehicles I have driven with it so I don’t mind it.

I have noticed that auto start-stop is automatically disabled by the computer when driving in very cold temperatures. I have not been able to determine the exact temperature but it appears to be at anything below -20C. I have also noticed that at temperatures below freezing, it will automatically disable if the fan speed is on 7.
Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed something similar. I didn't disable auto start/stop and when I was out and about in 20F temps it didn't turn off. Not sure if it was fan speed or temperature but it's something I will pay attention to. I did notice you need a significant amount of brake pressure to get the engine to shut off. I am usually very light on brakes at stop lights and my normal diving style didn't really shut off the engine unless I really got into the brake at a light.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It probably also doesn’t function if it’s really hot out and ac is needed full time. Frankly I don’t mind the auto start stop. This 2.7 in my BL is so quiet I hardly hear it running at all during a stop. Some of you might know that traffic lights here in FL cities can be at least a 10 minute wait, so cutting the motor is ideal. Plus, it restarts instantly and without any fuss. So there’s that. Don’t know why all the hate for auto start/stop

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It probably also doesn’t function if it’s really hot out and ac is needed full time. Frankly I don’t mind the auto start stop. This 2.7 in my BL is so quiet I hardly hear it running at all during a stop. Some of you might know that traffic lights here in FL cities can be at least a 10 minute wait, so cutting the motor is ideal. Plus, it restarts instantly and without any fuss. So there’s that. Don’t know why all the hate for auto start/stop
I would be a Florida Man article if I had to deal with 10 minute stop lights on the daily.

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I like how it starts again at the slightest wiggle of your toe. It is very responsive. If I am first in line at a light I move my foot so it starts and I can move away smoothly. If I am not first in line I let it shut off. I forget sometimes but I am getting used to it. Like I said earlier, it functions much better than other cars I have driven.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I usually drive manual transmissions, and up until recently auto start/stop has only been available on automatics.

I ordered a manual transmission for my Bronco, and from reading the instruction manual it seems auto start/stop is included with the Bronco on the manual transmission. So I am super curious to see how it'll behave and how it all works.

BUT, assuming it is similar to my wife's 2020 Ford Escape, I agree with @BroncocnorB -- doesn't bother me at all. Took a few drives to get used to it but it doesn't bother me. Yes you have a slight delay due to the engine having to restart, but 99.99% of the time you are driving around town the slight delay has no real impact.

Plus if you are in a situation where it doesn't make sense to use Auto Start/Stop... it's literally a single button press to turn it off. So I too don't understand why it gets all of this hate.

OP
OP
Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I usually drive manual transmissions, and up until recently auto start/stop has only been available on automatics.

I ordered a manual transmission for my Bronco, and from reading the instruction manual it seems auto start/stop is included with the Bronco on the manual transmission. So I am super curious to see how it'll behave and how it all works.

BUT, assuming it is similar to my wife's 2020 Ford Escape, I agree with @BroncocnorB -- doesn't bother me at all. Took a few drives to get used to it but it doesn't bother me. Yes you have a slight delay due to the engine having to restart, but 99.99% of the time you are driving around town the slight delay has no real impact.

Plus if you are in a situation where it doesn't make sense to use Auto Start/Stop... it's literally a single button press to turn it off. So I too don't understand why it gets all of this hate.
I think it would be pretty seamless with a manual.
There are many cars where the auto start-stop is so bad you want to crumple the whole car into a ball and throw it away. It is not just early versions of the system. I recently rented a 2021 Passat and it was terrible. I fact the whole car was terrible.

Wamland

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s light years better than my pathfinder. That thing actually lurches if you’re stopped and it kicks back on because of the ac or heat.
Barely take foot off the brake and the bronco is downright seem less

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am getting used to the auto start-stop and it has a much better calibration than other vehicles I have driven with it so I don’t mind it.

I have noticed that auto start-stop is automatically disabled by the computer when driving in very cold temperatures. I have not been able to determine the exact temperature but it appears to be at anything below -20C. I have also noticed that at temperatures below freezing, it will automatically disable if the fan speed is on 7.
I've noticed ASS doesn't seem to engage when the heat is on. Haven't purposely played with it but setting the heat to the mid-range on low might be a bypass since I keep forgetting to click the off button...

I still don't get how ASS is supposed to be a good thing. Starter engaging a dozen or so times on a trip, the slight hesitation when you go to accelerate, and how is the coolant flushing around the motor with it off?

notbuildingrockets

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond, 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

If you look in your owners manual, I believe there is a list of something like 8-15 conditions that have to be met in order for Auto Start-Stop to function properly. It's definitely more thought out than other systems, and you can toggle it on and off!

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We should still be able to disable it in the menus, it's stupid feel good nonsense that does nothing like the newer "spill proof" gas cans.

BrautiganBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I noticed on mine that you can also restart it simply by moving the steering wheel ever so slightly. especially handy when already steering into a turn at a light or wainting on traffic.
Sponsored