TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The primary competitor to the Bronco is the Jeep Wrangler, the standard by which all other off-road vehicles are judged. The objective was to make the Bronco very close to, equal, or better than the Wrangler (I am staying neutral on which one is better off-road). That decision forced a whole bunch of compromises on the rest of the design, including chassis, exterior, and interior (easy to clean after a day on the trail). Therefore, ride quality, and the richness of interior materials are secondary to the primary objective. Now, you can have all of that, and more, but the price would have to be increased by $10K, to $15K, significantly shrinking the potential pool of clients with the ability to buy a Bronco.

Opposite opinion

I guess I just don't understand the mindset of "..It won't be comfortable, it wont be practical, it wont be quiet and it most certainly wont be luxurious. and that is what makes it great.."

How does that make it great? These are all obviously/generally good qualities in anything really. Why wouldn't you want it to be an amazing off road machine that's comfortable and practical? It's a brand new 2021 $50k+ vehicle made by one of the biggest car manufacturers ever. You'd think we were a little past the needing to compromise to the extremes one way or the other. I feel like this 2021 Bronco should be more comfortable/modern than my truck that's 13 years old (and it's pretty comfortable).

Also, I feel like a lot of that mindset mentioned above was in response to people's concerns/complaints after seeing the recent (within the last week) pictures from 1 heavily tested pre-production Bronco & then another pre-production Bronco. If you go back and look at Ford's promo videos of the Bronco (CG renders or concept) the interior looks nice and modern and all that. I saw a couple comments recently saying "Ford isn't trying to market this as a luxury vehicle. It's a utility off roader" however I think based on those initial renderings/images/videos from Ford, the Bronco isn't marketed as a utility vehicle either. A lot of us who maybe never owned a Jeep Wrangler or want the Bronco for a daily driver, saw everything about the Bronco from release day and jumped on it. Unless Ford has never marketed a vehicle before and doesn't know what they're doing (of course they do), I'd say our initial impression where we saw/imagined nice fit and finish, was intentional and will be how the production Broncos are. The reason this new Bronco blew up in popularity is because it wasn't just marketed at rock crawlers. Forget the leaked pics of TEST vehicles and go back and look at all Ford's official released promo stuff.

So yeah a lot of people on here that had to walk uphill both ways to school seem to want their 1989 Bronco back with the same ride, noise and 0 modern comfort. It obviously won't be a 2020 Range Rover or Cadillac but why couldn't it be just as comfortable/modern as the Ranger or F-150? How does that take away from mechanical capability?
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is much like an F-150. You can start with an XL, but many will option up to the Limited at about $80k and have completely different expectations than the XL customer.
This is true, but the reality is the base 4 door truck with Michelin tires on 16” rims is going to ride a lot better than the Limited with 20” rims and low profile tires.
Regardless I think a consumer able to afford a new truck at $65k+ knows what they are buying, and to that degree none of those consumers are paying anywhere near $80k otd and none of them are surprised about the ride quality. Pickup truck owners generally know what they are buying across the whole spectrum.

Karen coming out of her GMC Terrain thinks an actual SUV is going to behave the same way her minivan behaves and that’s just not the case. This is the uphill battle we have to fight. I think the Bronco is going to ride extremely well after carefully examining the suspension design - but there will be people and journalists that ding the Bronco because it doesn’t drive and ride like a crossover.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Raptor with K02's rode decent but a bit stiff. I would expect an LT tire to be a bit softer on street.
Depends on size I suppose, my 37x12.5x17 D-rated KO2s on my H2 make that truck smoother than anyone can imagine.

TaiKoi

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Camaro Z28
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The primary competitor to the Bronco is the Jeep Wrangler, the standard by which all other off-road vehicles are judged. The objective was to make the Bronco very close to, equal, or better than the Wrangler (I am staying neutral on which one is better off-road). That decision forced a whole bunch of compromises on the rest of the design, including chassis, exterior, and interior (easy to clean after a day on the trail). Therefore, ride quality, and the richness of interior materials are secondary to the primary objective. Now, you can have all of that, and more, but the price would have to be increased by $10K, to $15K, significantly shrinking the potential pool of clients with the ability to buy a Bronco.
Jeep has been trying to make big improvements to the overall comfort of the Wrangler the past few years and I'm sure that'll continue. I don't think the Bronco is trying to compete with the older comfortless Wranglers. They'd wanna try to future proof the new Bronco against the improving Wranglers at least by a year or 2 right?

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Raptor is designed to the baddest production off road truck ever. To my surprised, it is the most comfortable badass truck I have ever owned.

I think the Bronco will also be a pleasant surprise

:)
Yeah but the bad azz Raptor can get into the $80,000 price tag very easy with minimum effort and I have seen +$110,00 if you start tacking on nameplates like Shelby (I live 5 miles from the Shelby plant).

Reservation numbers will start to drop quickly when they realize MSRP doesn’t include hard top (add $1300) or auto transmission (add another $1200), dealer paper work (add another $499) and then sales tax approx $3500-$4000 depending on trade in and the state you live in. If you live in Texas or Missouri you get a break on vehicle regeristration and it’s less than $100. Otherwise in Nevada, Kansas and many other states that pay depending on vehicle value add another $400 for the privilege of driving it for a year. And don’t forget about the extended warranty offer the last 30 minutes of your deal, tire and wheel warranty, and maintenance package etc. That $40,000 black diamond is more like a $50,000 vehicle once your out the door.

But I do agree the Raptor is proof that Ford can make a bad azz vehicle but the Bronco is made to compete with the Wrangler is it will be waaaaay less refined and with less expensive materials, fit and finish.

I can’t wait for the reservations to start to disappear like snow on a hot day. I know what I’m getting into And the day can’t get here soon enough.

Sponsored

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
5. Bonus : The gas mileage will be awful

Absolutely won't do better than 25mpg on the highway - you are buying a off road vehicle
Cool, so a little over a 200% increase on what I’ve got now. Sign me up ?

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To each their own. I like a luxury ride too, that's why I just ordered a 2021 Yukon Denali. The Bronco is a toy for a different kind of driving experience. I can't wait to get it. If I don't like it (highly unlikely) I'll trade it in for something else. It's all good! How blessed are we to be able to sit here and BS about a $60K toy that we can all afford! Life is good my Bronco compadres.
Well said!!!!!!!

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thank You!
I think a lot of people are not being realistic with their expectations and thought process.
i read most threads and think 75% of the posters would be happier long term in the Explorer.
Give me the 4X4 Roof Off Capability. I want it to be tough, loud, silly funny giggle inducing madness.
First song driving off the lot...”Cum on feel the Noize!” Quiet Riot
I can't wait to hear the tires hum on the road, I love that sound....35s!!!!!!!

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes the Bronco will be perfect for that.
If you like “Animal Style” I recommend the Black Diamond or Badlands depending on your budget.
That's me BD sasquatch 2.7

Sponsored

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

100% spot on. A Bronco is not a luxury vehicle. It is not a comfortable crossover. It is a purpose built off-road capable "truck". It is much closer to ride and noise to an 80's 4x4 truck than it is to a new Lexus or even Explorer. Comparing it to a Wrangler is as close as you can get without having a Bronco to drive.
Cant tow not a truck. Its a toy.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay -

1. The bronco is too small

2. The interior of the bronco seems compromised and cheap

3. The 2 door has almost no room for rear passengers

4. There is little cargo room

5. Bonus : The gas mileage will be awful

Absolutely won't do better than 25mpg on the highway - you are buying a off road vehicle
1) screw you, its too fucking big. They caved to the oj generation bronco. One of the most hideous vehicles ever produced. It was a slap in the face to the eb.

2) cheap? It will be the most luxurious vehicle I have ever owned.

3) I'll cram the kids in just like my dad did when he would take me and my 3 brothers camping in his 1970 Camaro.

4) see 3

5) 25mpg is fantastic.

All tongue in cheek, well except for the oj bronco, I do think it is hideous.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need wood grain paneling inside, able to seat 12, electric that can go 7,000 miles on a charge with a wine fridge inside and I want it now!! Lol

NoName57

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach1, Subaru Outback, Victory Octane
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would add the complaints about the lack of rear a/c vents. :rolleyes:
I take it you don’t have kids or live in a place where it’s absolutely hot as balls do you? Like 117 in the summer hot. The Wrangler has rear AC vents, why can’t the Bronco. On another note, I will be wheeling the Bronco as well but I’d still like my kids to not literally melt on my brand new seats lol.
Sponsored