Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently posted on another thread that I was looking at replacing my B&O kick panel, front, and rear pod speakers with some better quality aftermarket speakers. I will be honest, usually the B&O is fine for regular driving but when taking top/doors off i found you have to push the volume up to near max to get over the road/wind noise and its there where the B&O starts to distort. However, we have one small problem with the B&O system, which is starting to become typical with other modern car systems. It's how to replace the third speaker (center channel) with matching left and right speakers.

After spending a couple of hours reading over and listening to Crutchfield's compare sound software online, I called them with a couple of final questions. I was already leaning at getting the 4" JL Audio C1-400x for all three dash and rear pod locations and the JL Audio C1-650 component speakers for the kick panel (will experiment where to mount the external tweeter). All sounded very good using the sound comparison test, had great reviews, and were decently priced for mid range speakers. I do want to give a shout out to Seth at Crutchfield for answering all my questions to ensure I was going in the right direction, even though these are not listed as fitting in the Bronco. In the end, they are so close that only slight modifications should be needed, if any. However, the one big takeaway was they only sell these speakers in pairs and did not have a competitor that sold individually either. Seth explained this is becoming a common question/request since many new cars are coming out with center channel systems. Basically, the only way to get a matching set in the dash is to order another pair and keep one as a spare....

For now, I ordered a pair for left and right and will keep my OEM center channel. Updating the other speakers may overcompensate that center channel and one may not even notice it's missing. Then again, I cant help but wonder what it would be like with all three matching in place, as that center channel does seem to put out quite a bit of sound in surround sound mode.

However, there is another way :)..... If one of you fellow Bronco6G members wanted to go in together to split the cost and therefore split the pair, then we would each have one speaker at normal value! Just a thought. Obviously the one forking out the initial order would have to be trusting the other guy would go through with it, and then vice versa. Long story short, if someone here is interested in these same speakers for the dash, I would be game putting in the order and then sending one out for 50% payment (paypal, etc.). The pair is only $100 so $50 for each to have a center channel.

I do want to install them in my dash first to ensure they fit and would even test out the center channel at that time. I can report back here the findings.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13699040/JL-Audio-C1-400x.html
Ford Bronco A Solution to Replace the "third" B&O Ctr Dash Speaker with 3 Matching Upgrades 1642272202828
Sponsored

Last edited:

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i like the idea of an split program for the center speaker ;) I'd be in on that once mine shows up. I'm going to get the pins and connectors for the speakers and start making speaker pigtails and offer them for sale soon.

tj-bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would consider it as well. I don't pick up my Bronco for another 6 weeks though.

I was originally looking at the Focal ES 100K but the quality of JL is definitely an option. I will be watching this thread.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No problem. I hope to get speakers mid week (unless weather says otherwise) and will shoot for installing them next weekend. I will try to take some pics of how they look in the dash and maybe do a sound check with factory still on one side and new on the other. I will post back here. Thanks!

Sponsored

Rat

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr Bronco Wildtrak, 22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have B&O right? I'm looking at upgrading mine and would do the deal pending how your install goes. Would be nice to see how it goes for you first. I'm a car audio noobie but it seems like a cheap/easy upgrade.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update to those following this thread. All I can say is sorry and that I failed to test out the center speaker with my new JL Audio C1-400x speakers. Below are a few pictures why. I looked all over this forum, youtube, googled it, etc. and could not find anywhere where someone showed how they opened up that center channel grill. So I thought, what the heck, can't be that bad... got to be similar to the left and right dash speakers! Thus, I went to try to do so myself and stopped after a frustrating 10 minutes of not being confident enough to remove without breaking.
Ford Bronco A Solution to Replace the "third" B&O Ctr Dash Speaker with 3 Matching Upgrades 20220123_225336

Messing up the center channel grill/panel would be super noticeable. Plus the charge port and the dash mount bolt thingy are all right there too (almost looks like a hinge there). I did pry it up enough to see the speaker and it does look to be the same size/type as the 4" speakers in the rear pods. The left and right dash speakers have a special mesh over them for the tweeter, which I couldn't see on the center channel.
Ford Bronco A Solution to Replace the "third" B&O Ctr Dash Speaker with 3 Matching Upgrades 20220123_225357_resized

If you look from my photos, I tried to pry up the two sides and rear which put a lot of stress on the front hinge area, almost bending it. You may also note I marred the plastic a bit with a failed attempt and was worried what it would look like if I tried harder.
Ford Bronco A Solution to Replace the "third" B&O Ctr Dash Speaker with 3 Matching Upgrades 20220123_225430_resized

I have heard many other folks (including some famous youtubers, :D ) talk about replacing all the B&O speakers for a future project. To me, that needs to include this center channel. SO at this point I will wait for someone more experienced to post how this panel comes off. Then I may be back in the market for a split replacement. For now I will continue to enjoy my new speakers, which I will post in another thread tomorrow, including more details on how to replace the 6.5" kick panels as I found a lack of information out there on how to remove them. Maybe my writeup and pics can help someone, or atleast get one through it faster than I!

Last edited:

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Update to those following this thread. All I can say is sorry and that I failed to test out the center speaker with my new JL Audio C1-400x speakers. Below are a few pictures why. I looked all over this forum, youtube, googled it, etc. and could not find anywhere where someone showed how they opened up that center channel grill. So I thought, what the heck, can't be that bad... got to be similar to the left and right dash speakers! Thus, I went to try to do so myself and stopped after a frustrating 10 minutes of not being confident enough to remove without breaking.
Ford Bronco A Solution to Replace the "third" B&O Ctr Dash Speaker with 3 Matching Upgrades 20220123_225430_resized

Messing up the center channel grill/panel would be super noticeable. Plus the charge port and the dash mount bolt thingy are all right there too (almost looks like a hinge there). I did pry it up enough to see the speaker and it does look to be the same size/type as the 4" speakers in the rear pods. The left and right dash speakers have a special mesh over them for the tweeter, which I couldn't see on the center channel.

If you look from my photos, I tried to pry up the two sides and rear which put a lot of stress on the front hinge area, almost bending it. You may also note I marred the plastic a bit with a failed attempt and was worried what it would look like if I tried harder.

I have heard many other folks (including some famous youtubers, :D ) talk about replacing all the B&O speakers for a future project. To me, that needs to include this center channel. SO at this point I will wait for someone more experienced to post how this panel comes off. Then I may be back in the market for a split replacement. For now I will continue to enjoy my new speakers, which I will post in another thread tomorrow, including more details on how to replace the 6.5" kick panels as I found a lack of information out there on how to remove them. Maybe my writeup and pics can help someone, or atleast get one through it faster than I!
Did you ever figure out the center channel panel? You have to remove the part labeled "Accessory Ready", there are screws in each channel next to the accessory mount. Pop that part off then the speaker cover comes out.

glphoto

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Contact Audiolux, they have done a few upgrades with the B&O system on the new Broncos, they also have a Youtube channel, two of the videos shows them working a Bronco, Contact https://www.audio-lux.com shoot them an email or give them a call, they are located in San Diego
Next month Audiolux will be upgrading my stereo system in my Badlands with Blam and Audison speakers and Heilix amp.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Contact Audiolux, they have done a few upgrades with the B&O system on the new Broncos, they also have a Youtube channel, two of the videos shows them working a Bronco, Contact https://www.audio-lux.com shoot them an email or give them a call, they are located in San Diego
Next month Audiolux will be upgrading my stereo system in my Badlands with Blam and Audison speakers and Heilix amp.
Great advice, I will check them out for sure. Although I am to far away for them to help me, at least I can get ideas.

teevan

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You still have an extra speaker you want to get rid of? I was looking to upgrade my center speaker and would buy it from you.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, I have never bought it as I was waiting for someone to go in with...

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Panzer948, did you get the C1-400x's to fit in the dash? The rear pods? They're my top choice as well, but according to Crutchfield the install height (tweeter sticks up to high) is an issue and why the site says it won't fit.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@Panzer948, did you get the C1-400x's to fit in the dash? The rear pods? They're my top choice as well, but according to Crutchfield the install height (tweeter sticks up to high) is an issue and why the site says it won't fit.
They fit fine in the dash. I put Focal ACX in the pods because I read the C1s donā€™t quite fit. C1 in front and Focal in rear is a great combination.
Sponsored