Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After witnessing a petty argument that almost totally jacked an interesting thread (here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/alternator-upgrade.61514/), I've decided to post a VERY VERY basic explanation of how electricity works. The math is easy and this will not make you an expert, but it will make you look really smart in front of your friends who have no idea how to visualize electricity.

Since electricity is usually invisible (unless you've made a huge mistake), it's difficult to visualize what it's doing and how it works. To keep this really simple I'm only going to discuss volts, amps, watts, and ohms.

First, let's get the simple math out of the way since it establishes the relationship between these measurements. I won't discuss Ohm's law, but if you're still interested after reading this there are some really good explainers online. For our basic purposes the math is this simple: Watts=Volts*Amps.

There are several ways to visualize electricity, but this example is what worked best for me when I was learning to be an aircraft mechanic. At its most basic, electricity can be visualized as water flowing through a hose. In this example volts are the amount of water pressure, or how hard the electrons are being pushed through the circuit. Current (amperes, or amps for short) is the volume or flow of water through the circuit. Resistance (ohms) is the size of the hose such that a smaller hose resists the flow of water. Power (watts) is the amount of work that water can perform, such as turning a water wheel.

Let's make that water wheel move. We hook up our hose to the bib and point it at the wheel, and the water makes it turn. How can we make it turn faster or increase power (watts)? Let's say our standard hose makes 4 watts with 2 volts at 2 amps. That's 2V*2A=4W

One way is to increase the pressure by raising voltage. Now the water comes out faster and speeds up the wheel. Let's double our voltage by increasing the pressure while leaving everything else the same: 4V*2A=8W. Our water wheel is doing twice the work!

Another way is to dump more water onto the wheel by using a larger hose, which has less resistance (ohms) and increases current (amps). Let's double our current (amps) by using a hose that moves double the volume of water without increasing water pressure (volts): 2V*4A=8W. Again, our wheel is doing twice the work! (I know, I know, I'm really oversimplifying this by leaving poor Georg Ohm out of it)

I have to get back to work, so I'm going to leave it at that. Feel free to add to or clarify this analogy, or ask away if you have questions. There are a lot of really smart people on here who can help where I didn't!

Hopefully this helps those who had little or no understanding of electricity. For those who DO get it this wasn't really for you, but it might save you from a dumb argument on the internet.
Sponsored

st3v

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First, let's get the simple math out of the way since it establishes the relationship between these measurements. I won't discuss Ohm's law, but if you're still interested after reading this there are some really good explainers online. For our basic purposes the math is this simple: Watts=Volts*Amps.
Ohm's law is V=IR [Voltage (Volts) = Current (Amps) * Resistance (Ohms)]

What you listed here is the power formula P=IV [Power (Watts) = Current (Amps) * Voltage (Volts)]

OP
OP
KABQ

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ohm's law is V=IR [Voltage (Volts) = Current (Amps) * Resistance (Ohms)]

What you listed here is the power formula P=IV [Power (Watts) = Current (Amps) * Voltage (Volts)]
Correct. I didn't want to get into Ohm's Law since this is super duper extra basic and meant more as a visualizer than a true explainer.

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
EE here. Now to confuse more people with real power (watts), apparent power (VA), reactive power (VAR), the imaginary number (i), power factor and phase angle.

Sponsored

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
EE here. Now to confuse more people with real power (watts), apparent power (VA), reactive power (VAR), the imaginary number (i), power factor and phase angle.
everyone on this thread after the next twenty posts …
Ford Bronco A VERY VERY Basic Primer on Electricity A3F20E0D-A033-4CA7-8237-D9D1C625C326

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ahhhh...brings back memories that I haven't used in a long time

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After witnessing a petty argument that almost totally jacked an interesting thread (here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/alternator-upgrade.61514/), I've decided to post a VERY VERY basic explanation of how electricity works. The math is easy and this will not make you an expert, but it will make you look really smart in front of your friends who have no idea how to visualize electricity.

Since electricity is usually invisible (unless you've made a huge mistake), it's difficult to visualize what it's doing and how it works. To keep this really simple I'm only going to discuss volts, amps, watts, and ohms.

There are several ways to visualize electricity, but this example is what worked best for me when I was learning to be an aircraft mechanic. At its most basic, electricity can be visualized as water flowing through a hose. In this example volts are the amount of water pressure, or how hard the electrons are being pushed through the circuit. Current (amperes, or amps for short) is the volume or flow of water through the circuit. Resistance (ohms) is the size of the hose such that a smaller hose resists the flow of water. Power (watts) is the amount of work that water can perform, such as turning a water wheel.

Let's make that water wheel move. We hook up our hose to the bib and point it at the wheel, and the water makes it turn. How can we make it turn faster or increase power (watts)? Let's say our standard hose makes 4 watts with 2 volts at 2 amps. That's 2V*2A=4W

One way is to increase the pressure by raising voltage. Now the water comes out faster and speeds up the wheel. Let's double our voltage by increasing the pressure while leaving everything else the same: 4V*2A=8W. Our water wheel is doing twice the work!

Another way is to dump more water onto the wheel by using a larger hose, which has less resistance (ohms) and increases current (amps). Let's double our current (amps) by using a hose that moves double the volume of water without increasing water pressure (volts): 2V*4A=8W. Again, our wheel is doing twice the work! (I know, I know, I'm really oversimplifying this by leaving poor Georg Ohm out of it)

I have to get back to work, so I'm going to leave it at that. Feel free to add to or clarify this analogy, or ask away if you have questions. There are a lot of really smart people on here who can help where I didn't!

Hopefully this helps those who had little or no understanding of electricity. For those who DO get it this wasn't really for you, but it might save you from a dumb argument on the internet.
Your explanation is perfect. I worked designing irrigation pipe systems and the theories are the same. I am copying and sending to an engineer friend who fully understands hydraulics but is baffled by electricity!

OP
OP
KABQ

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And impedance (Z) in series and in parallel, and inductive and capactive reactance (X), and inductance (Henrys, the best unit name). AC is a whole 'nother beast...

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Talking about making this visual but there's a bunch of words. Joking aside good post OP.
Ford Bronco A VERY VERY Basic Primer on Electricity 1671731732984
Ford Bronco A VERY VERY Basic Primer on Electricity 1671732036528

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is precisely why I became an ME. I'd rather deal with the fact my Bronco is in motion while parked.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've used a similar metaphor to explain electricity to people using water, only I say to imagine a dam, and that voltage is the difference between the water behind and in front of the dam. And that if you open up a channel to let the water flow from the high to the low, that is current.

I usually use this to explain to someone why their battery has voltage and can run the lights, dash, etc, but doesn't have enough current to start the car ;)

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you rub a balloon on your head ,you can then get the balloon to stick to the wall. Albert Einstein circa 1892.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, I use the water analogy for my students/apprentices.

Series circuit ...

6" water line with one or more smaller short sections adding restriction (resistance). All in line..
4" section, not very restrictive. (low resistance)
1/4" section = very restrictive (high resistance)
Either way, each restrictor adds to the "total resistance".

Parallel ...
6" water line acting as a manifold with multiple outlets.
(1) 1/4" outlet ... not much flow (1 light bulb)
(100) 1/4" outlets ... much more flow (100 light bulbs)

"Wait a minute. You mean to tell me you can add resistors ... but total resistance drops??" :oops::eek::unsure::unsure::unsure:

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yep, I use the water analogy for my students/apprentices.

Series circuit ...

6" water line with one or more smaller short sections adding restriction (resistance). All in line..
4" section, not very restrictive. (low resistance)
1/4" section = very restrictive (high resistance)
Either way, each restrictor adds to the "total resistance".

Parallel ...
6" water line acting as a manifold with multiple outlets.
(1) 1/4" outlet ... not much flow (1 light bulb)
(100) 1/4" outlets ... much more flow (100 light bulbs)

"Wait a minute. You mean to tell me you can add resistors ... but total resistance drops??" :oops::eek::unsure::unsure::unsure:
I work at the regional power grid level and a fun fact is you can increase the flow on a transmission line by putting a capacitor in series with it. Being able to increase flow on something by essentially putting an airgap in line with it proves that AC power is magic 😁
Sponsored