Sponsored

A word of warning to those who may not fully understand what they are getting into

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm coming from a Mustang. Both have a stick shift, both have two doors, both actually fit in my garage, both have a top that comes off (though the Bronco is a LOT more manual).

Bronco is taller, has a better field of view, and a larger interior. Only thing it lacks is a trunk, but someone will make an aftermarket steel cargo box to bring the rear up level with the rear seats.
Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's just an updated version of the original military MB Jeep. They changed the name from MB (Military second iteration) , to CJ (Civilian Jeep) to Wrangler. The CJ to Wrangler change was to distance the brand from the infamous '80's rollover hype. Just like the Bronco name carries a bit of the rollover scares from the original Bronco and Bronco II. Ford decided the positives of recycling the name outweighed the negatives.
Ha, I've been around and know the history. Point is, the Bronco would technically be a variant of the Model T to which Jeep actually copied.

PS, this is all in fun...

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
pretty much

WW2 was in full swing on the ground for the USA by 1943

2021 - 1943 = 78. Close enough.

the Jeep Wrangler is clearly the descendant of vehicles used in WW2 made by Ford, Willys, etc.

So yep, 80 years old.
Those were CJ's not wranglers.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Those were CJ's not wranglers.
Yeah, all in fun...but really a Wrangler is no more removed from a WWII Jeep than a 6g Bronc is from a '66.
MB, CJ and Wrangler (2dr): Short wheelbase 4x4, 4 passenger, light, vehicle with solid live axles, body on frame, conventional drivetrain layout, foldable windshield, seven slat grill, protruding fenders, narrow hood, potentially topless. jeep dropped the CJ nomenclature to distance the Wrangler from the CJ rollover issue...it's just a mild evolution of the same vehicle. The most significant change was leaf springs to coils and a lower CG.

JPOPS5

Base
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basemansquatch / A7 / XC60 / Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I borrowed my buddies FJ quite a bit. I made a post on here after seeing the bronco at one of the dealership events and said the FJ was the vehicle that the bronco most reminded me of. It is probably 20-25% smaller in interior space, especially cargo space. The exterior stance is very similar, maybe just a touch smaller on the bronco.

The bronco has a big exterior with a small interior. It's wider profile than a jeep with just a small amount more interior space.
20-25% smaller...I wasn’t expecting that.

Feels very similar on the interior space wise. It reminds me of it some inside, and I loved driving the FJ...if only it had a removable top. Bronco is the best of both worlds...perfect size inside and out.
Good to hear! I loved my FJ also and have often kicked myself for getting rid of it.

This was my big worry as well, specifically the width...Im super comfortable in my FJ, but I always felt cramped in my Wrangler...I can only speak for myself, but when I adjusted the seat to my normal position neither of my knees were hitting anything, and just like that my only remaining apprehension was gone! On a side note - I dont think anyones ever made as comfortable a headrest as the FJ has.
Again, glad to hear this. I’ve never owned a Wrangler, but have had them as a rental a few times and always felt a little tight.

Reactions: Axe

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It seems that a lot of B6G comments are comparison-based. I think potential buyers will be well served to take a fresh, zero based assessment of the new bronco to arrive at an informed decision on purchasing. It is not a defender, subaru, jeep (A to Z), rivian, f-150 including raptor, explorer, expedition, etc. Take a good hard look at what it offers and what it does not on its own merits and weaknesses. Then reconcile that against what its purpose will be and what you want or can pay and that should about be it.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I will admit that I just want it because I want it. I have been driving a 1995 and then a 2006 4Runner since 1995. I live in northeast so the 4Runner already is more than I need for the modest amount of offroading/beach/snow driving I do. I also had a Bronco II before that. My Wife has a CX9. I think I have my expectations in check on my Wildtrack as far as the tradeoffs between a comparably priced SUV for the family. I also have Shelby Cobra 427 replica to scratch the itch on the other side of the spectrum. But for me, this Bronco is replacing my 2006 4Runner as a daily driver (even though I work from home) and more about wanting something more interesting than a "mid-size-crossover SUV" (which of course would be most practical). But I am a car enthusiast and I have been driving my 4Runner since 2006 so I want a car that interesting - even if it comes with practical drawbacks for suburban family life. I am psyched to get it.

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Its just a tall 4x4 flex, and I already like how the flex drives

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
5-7? We call that snack sized in my family. I’m the little guy on both sides of the family. I was that tall in about 6th grade. The guys in my family are 6-3, 6-4 and 6-7. We need space. Funny how that happens. And our offspring needs space too.

The seat is NOT all the way back. That’s the catch. As the driver I had space. But not the back seat. My boy is destined to be 6-2 at a minimum and there’s no room back here for him. He’s only 3-4 years away from being a 6-footer. It’s coming - the doctors charts are the same as mine were.

my wife is almost as tall as me. There’s no back here. we can have only one car unless you want to slide me about $40K to buy another parking spot. Therefore, this had to work.

Ford worked so hard to copy the wrangler that they made a wrangler with a horse on it. That would be awesome if I were 20 and only had to worry about a copilot. But this thing doesn’t work for a whole lot of folks. I now realize why the early publicity stunts were coy about back seat room - because there ain’t much.

you can search my post history. You’ll find numerous posts from me asking about the back seat room - and the issue got ignored.

and now I know why.
There are plenty of reviews that are more than happy with rear seat room check out the base walk around video. I don't blame you if it doesn't fit your needs but this is a small SUV what did you expect? It certainly doesn't make sense for Ford to make another Expedition of Explorer.

Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think you misunderstood OP. He is warning people that the Bronco is more so like a Jeep (albeit, better in about every category) than a luxury and/or large SUV and to gauge their expectations accordingly. There have been a rash of posts on here lately where people have been shocked, shocked!, about the size of the Bronco after seeing it in person and another bunch of posts about the utilitarian nature of the interior. Reading your previous posts, it sounds like you and OP are actually in agreement.
With respect to interior size the reviews and mostly positive with l don't see a rash of people shocked. This OP basically said the Bronco can't compete with anything other than Wrangler and that's silly. Lots of small SUVs this can compete with and obviously does and you don't have to spend $50K+. I'm spending $34K and getting more than l want.

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This won't drive like a tall flex. There are real differences between a body on frame vehicle and a crossover
Has 4 wheels and going forward and backward, should be about the same.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm calling BS. No way you were driving a 2006 since 1995😂
Oops. I drove A 1995 4Runner from 1996 to 2007 and a 2006 from 2007 to now.

• Haha
Reactions: Jdc