First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You're going to get some grief on this Ford Bronco forum full of guys who tend to not like Wranglers, as American's have totally become all or nothing propositions.

But

The Wrangler with solid axles will absolutely be better at rock crawling than any other option besides a classic Defender 90. This isn't based on either stock, but what you can build them both into.

An IFS consumer build just won't do on the rocks what solids will. Trophy trucks, sure, but who's dropping the $300K plus to make that happen, please stand up.

What a lot of guys don't understand is the cost of raising and making IFS components strong enough to rock crawl. We're talking a stage 6-9 suspension and even then I'd love to see how many parts need to be replaced and as often vs the SFA. The axle alone on an IFS that's necessary would cost a good bit.

Maybe you should elaborate on some of the cost estimates of your builds. Without that point of reference, guys on the forum don't have much point of reference.
Another advantage the JL has, as far as upgrading, is the ability to slap Rubicon parts straight onto a sport/sahara for a lot less money.
When I ordered my 2 door ss, I did so knowing I could get a 4 door Rubicon 'take off' suspension for about $100. In fact I was able to get one new, in the crate, for that price ( the guy had a factory lift put on at the dealer before he brought his home). Add another $220 for quick disco's and longer lca's. That gave me a bit better than a 2.25" lift - back down to 2" with a new bumper and winch. I'll upgrade to 33's when the stock goodyear's wear out.

So my $33k sport is only lacking lockers to be on par with a stock rubicon and, honestly, the BLD is more than good enough for the trails I run on. I was more concerned about the extra clearance, as the trails here cross a lot of boulder filled washes. I prefer the manual disconnects anyway -less to go wrong. I just pop 'em off as the staun's air down my tires and leave them off 'till I'm back on pavement.

I wonder how easy it'll be to swap in higher trim parts as people mod out their bronco's. Or will it matter? I don't know how ubiquitous the bronco's suspension is across the models.

What it really comes down to is having a good idea ahead of time of what you realistically plan on doing off road and aiming for about 10-15% more capability than that - always err on the side of caution when leaving the tarmac...
Sponsored

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Engines:
A stock 2.7 will not touch a 6.4L Hemi, but a $400 tune on a 2.7L gets it a lot closer (actually, it can help it beat a 6.4L hemorrhoid in the case of a Fusion vs Charger/Challenger in the 1/8th mile). The rumor of the Rapthog getting a 3.0L would certainly be unsettling for 392 owners if anyone actually cared which was faster at the track.

Squach VS Ruby:
I could maybe see how the smaller overall dimensions and tucked-in body lines of the Jeep would make it easier to stay off the plates/sliders on some lines, but stock vs stock, I have a very hard time believing a Ruby is flat out better for rock crawling by any measurable amount. I know that once you start modifying for the more hard core stuff, the SFA makes it easier to lift it higher and get more articulation. Both being stock, or lightly modded, though, the IFS isn't going to force you to stay behind while the solid axles continue. In fact, while the Ruby has (slightly) better articulation, the Bronco has better front ground clearance without the pumpkin in the way. I'd have to see something more convincing than "it's better because it's a fact" to be convinced a stock Ruby is more capable in any way (other than helping you learn how to replace rockers on a 50k mile pentastar... lol. Go ahead. Ask me if I'm a bit salty).

Regardless, I bet it's a VERY small population of people that are even capable of pushing either rig far enough to find out for sure. You'll probably find driver limits long before you find machine limits.

Cypher

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I find all the negative comments on this thread funny. the OP is not someone to sugarcoat things, but he will also NOT mislead you. This shop could easily upsell a lot of their customers, but they don't do that. they will recommend the best parts for how you plan to use your rig.

As far as credentials, I am not sure I know anyone who has real seat time with Wranglers, Gladiators, TRX, and now the Bronco to give the Pros and cons of each that has no skin in the game (he builds and works on lots).

Most reviews so far from regular people are from those trying to justify a purchase one way or another. I think this gave a good insight to what those who use it as he tested can expect. Can a Bronco do most of what anyone will need, yes. will it be a better off the showroom floor desert runner than a Wrangler, yes. will it be a better off the showroom floor rock crawler than a Rubicon, no. they each have their place, and my guess is each will get better and better now that there is a new race to be best in this class.

personally I cant want to drive one and for my place in line to come up so I can convert my reservation to an order. it the meantime ill be happy with my Eco-Diesel Rubicon.

its ok to like both.

Sponsored

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing a lot of reviews on the 4 door base sound system being horrible. I wonder if its any better in the 2 door due to distance from the back speakers?

I have a hard time justifying the price of the B&O system the way its packaged, but I can't stand crappy audio.
So many negative posts on the B&O that I dropped from lux to high package. It was the main reason for the upgrade. I am now watching speaker replacement threads.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So many negative posts on the B&O that I dropped from lux to high package. It was the main reason for the upgrade. I am now watching speaker replacement threads.
Well that may just save me some money. At least until I fall down the aftermarket rabbit hole.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Haven’t seen / can’t find that video. Got a link?
Here you go, I linked to where it is but watch the whole vid as it is a Bronco vid mainly.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder how easy it'll be to swap in higher trim parts as people mod out their bronco's. Or will it matter? I don't know how ubiquitous the bronco's suspension is across the models.
All the suspensions have the same mounts, and good news is all the "tuning" is internal to the shock. There's no external processing like a magnaride.

Now the tuning is probably for each vehicles GVW and sprung weight - but theoretically you could shove a 4dr sasquatch suspension under your 2dr base.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here you go, I linked to where it is but watch the whole vid as it is a Bronco vid mainly.

Ah I had seen that video before, just didn't stay tuned for the ranger going up. I'm surprised and have to assume that was mostly due to driver error, considering there's videos of funhaver going up some insane things and stock Broncos going up Escalator forwards and backwards. But who knows!?

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Engines:
A stock 2.7 will not touch a 6.4L Hemi, but a $400 tune on a 2.7L gets it a lot closer (actually, it can help it beat a 6.4L hemorrhoid in the case of a Fusion vs Charger/Challenger in the 1/8th mile). The rumor of the Rapthog getting a 3.0L would certainly be unsettling for 392 owners if anyone actually cared which was faster at the track.

Squach VS Ruby:
I could maybe see how the smaller overall dimensions and tucked-in body lines of the Jeep would make it easier to stay off the plates/sliders on some lines, but stock vs stock, I have a very hard time believing a Ruby is flat out better for rock crawling by any measurable amount. I know that once you start modifying for the more hard core stuff, the SFA makes it easier to lift it higher and get more articulation. Both being stock, or lightly modded, though, the IFS isn't going to force you to stay behind while the solid axles continue. In fact, while the Ruby has (slightly) better articulation, the Bronco has better front ground clearance without the pumpkin in the way. I'd have to see something more convincing than "it's better because it's a fact" to be convinced a stock Ruby is more capable in any way (other than helping you learn how to replace rockers on a 50k mile pentastar... lol. Go ahead. Ask me if I'm a bit salty).

Regardless, I bet it's a VERY small population of people that are even capable of pushing either rig far enough to find out for sure. You'll probably find driver limits long before you find machine limits.
Let me put it to you another way in your question on the rock crawling comment from the OP.

I'm not a Wrangler owner and never have been, but I do own a Disco 2 solid axle for my wheeling. You seem to be only thinking articulation, which is important, but that's not the real world concern.

Your concern if you're wheeling and on some rocks is more on the topic of damage. Even a Wrangler on a Dana 40 or 50 with chromoly upgrades or even a 60 with 40" tires can take some serious damage or break an axle. Add too much HP and you'll definitely do damage quickly.

On the Bronco IFS with Dana 40 rear and the axles up front with already large wheels if you squatch means you're even more likely to break if you take a bad line and hit a boulder wrong, too fast, or miss judged; that's just a fact. Look at trail damage to Tacos or 4 Runners, Rangers, etc if you want to see what the Bronco has in store when out on trails in stock config.

All that said, if you check your pride at the trailhead, and realistically take on trails that an IFS Bronco is more built to tackle meaning those with a faster track with rocks less than, say, 15in tall or so, you're good. Anything further and you'll need to mod to something like the Ford Performance Racing 4600 Bronco. From the way that rig looks, it has 37s, a lot of upgraded steel armor, beefed up control arms, joints, and likely a larger axle or chromoly, or something.

The cost of building your own 4600? I can only guess take your badlands sasquatch and invest another $20K in suspension upgrades, armor, wheels and tires. Someone with more experience can weigh in on whether I'm realistic or really short on the cost. Mind that I have not included engine upgrades and tunes.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's awesome, but how is it as a daily driver?:cool:
Well I suppose if your daily commute was over rocks like that it might be ok. 😉

For normal roads I’ll stick with the Bronco (if it ever gets built). Actually it will be my wife’s DD but I’ll likely be the one wheeling on the weekends. Although some of the videos make it look easy enough I might be able to coax her into driving some trails.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Engines:

Squach VS Ruby:

Looks like Jeep articulates better, keeping tires in contact with the ground. See video of Bronco and Wrangler on same trail segment. I hit this sort of trail terrain often when wheeling in Colorado. Doesn't mean Bronco is bad, but IFS can only do so much, arm length is limited, unless on special race truck.

OP
OP
Doetsch Off-Road

Doetsch Off-Road

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doetschoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 4dr, 2021 Wildtrak, 2021 Rubicon 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In bonus land today....

While I still do not care for MGV interior, it cleans up very easily with two buckets one with just a cpl drops of soap and a clean rinse bucket.
This is after a long day in the desert with the top completely off and windows up.

20210802_190232.jpg

20210802_190242.jpg

20210802_190302.jpg

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You admitted you tested the Bronco in moderate off-road conditions so how do you really know it won’t hold up to a Rubicon in extreme conditions? Seems like youre making assumptions without proof or testing. Only way to know for sure is to test each rig side by side which you obviously didn’t do.
Its common knowledge for those exposed to vehicle off-roading that a SFA can articulate further than any IFS system that is also safe for daily driving. Of course, a factory Rubicon may not be able to demonstrate that to such a degree that would clearly make it obvious but once you add aftermarket performance suspension parts then the SFA Wrangler is capable to handle those 7+ rated trails easier than an IFS. It is because the SFA will have a tire compress the coil suspension while ascending over the rock/obstacle while forcing the other end of the front axle to the ground all while not directly impacting the frame or cab of the wrangler (suspension flex independent from Frame). With an IFS vehicle the suspension components and the cab act as a whole with shocks that compresses at each wheel, however, the cab cannot isolate itself from the angle of the frame of the vehicle and thus the limitations of an IFS will be observed on the extreme end of rock crawling. These extreme trails usually will cause excessive damage and a high risk of roll-overs, so most people like myself will not have to worry. I have no problem taking my new bronco on Trails up rated up to 6, but will probably forgo anything higher IMHO.
Sponsored