Sponsored

Acceptable odometer reading (can dealers test drive orders before customer pickup) ?

RobC2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3P
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am pretty particular about my new cars being "new", but I don't think this is a vehicle you will have to worry much about. Pre-sold units will not be used as demos and there is no attraction (like with a high performance car) for anyone handling it until it gets to you to beat on it.

GetBucked

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, one of the trips I went on for work was to various rail yards across the country. We were catching vehicles in transit from the factory to their respective dealerships.

At these rail yards, the workers have to unload them from the train and park them in their selected areas to be picked up later by the truck drivers. I’d say that the average mileage I saw over 100s of trucks was around 8.

So there is almost no way around these being driven before they get to your dealership. They’re driven into the train, driven off and then driven into a truck by the driver.

Last edited:

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They can vary on mileage. My Shelby had 9 miles on it. My GTR had 21 miles. All GTR’s are delivered with between 21-23 miles. They actually put them on a test track in Japan and run them full tilt to make sure it passes inspection. So much for an engine break in procedure.

Your Bronco will be just fine.

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I bought my Camaro brand new with 3 miles.

I did not order it but I talked to the dealer and knew what they had coming in so it was mine without a deposit before they received it. If I actually ordered something I would not like more than 10 miles on it.

That should cover factory testing, parking and transporting on and off a truck

Sponsored

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They can vary on mileage. My Shelby had 9 miles on it. My GTR had 21 miles. All GTR’s are delivered with between 21-23 miles. They actually put them on a test track in Japan and run them full tilt to make sure it passes inspection. So much for an engine break in procedure.

Your Bronco will be just fine.
Engine break-ins are done on ever engine before it enters the car. Every manufacturer does it

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ordering from the factory, you should be notified when it's on the truck and leaving the factory. Then notified when it's expected to arrive. Once at dealership, you should be there when it's still wrapped in protective wrap. That's what we've experienced with other cars...

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Luckily I work at the dealer so my greasy hands will be the first on the wheel. p.s. If you receive your vehicle with less then 12km/7.5miles ask for the PDI charge back as they require 10km/6mile roadtest.

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thankfully I also work at my dealership and not even the detail department will be touching mine. No dealer stickers, no dealer license plate frames. They get enough free advertising from me when I go to the Wawa next door in my work shirt

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, some of the responses in this thread. On an ordered vehicle the dealer will contact you if they know its being delivered and at the very least when it comes in off the truck. 5 to 7 miles is normal, off the plant to parking, then to the train, then to the lot(Norcal goes to benicia) then on to the truck then to the dealer and on to prep.

The dealer should not be driving it at all.
No test drives at all.
After paperwork is complete the dealer(or yourself) fills with gas which could be a mile away and back.

All manufacturers spot check. They pull a random vehicle off the line and drive a few miles generally less than 20 miles. Its normal and nothing to worry about.

If you have more than 50 miles I would refuse purchase. Most will be less than 10.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This will be the first time I’ve reserved/ordered a vehicle vs purchasing new off the lot. Other cars I’ve purchased new have had odometer readings ranging from 20 up to over 800 ( dealer claimed it was transported from NC to FL). I imagine most if not all the mileage is from “test drives”.

When ordering our Broncos, should we expect the odometer to be really low (like less than 10)? My assumption is that the vehicle should be respected as purchased ( not sale pending )and that no “test drives” should be given out during the brief time it arrives on the lot and the breakneck speed on my part to finally make first contact!
It would be a breach of trust for a sold vehicle to be used for test or joy rides. A respectable dealer would not do that without your permission.

It will typically have less than 15 mi from factory and transport unless there were significant issues that Ford had to debug/rework, or if selected for drive test at factory. The first Broncos off the line will probably all be drive tested and have extra miles.

For prep purposes, dealer staff will typically drive it to a gas station, wash, etc. so that may add a few more miles.

If you are worried about it, you can ask them not to prep it. Accept it is as raw and dirty with empty tank from the factory (you may have to attach some parts yourself).

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
Type R had 8 miles. Was more upset i had to drive it back 15.... So 30 to get the Freon filled because they didn't do a complete PDI. I plan on ruckin this thing through the mud so i imagine they couldn't do much i wouldn't in a few miles.

Unless they drove it to a nearby mall then it's tainted! If you have a bunch of (out of business) retail receipts in the back return it.

Seriously though I expect about 15 or less and hope to gain a good relationship with the dealership!

O yeah and don't wash it, put any stickers or fart in it!

20200717_200753.jpg

20200715_075023.jpg

ParsonsWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cummins, 2020 Gt500 ordered
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only car I have ordered was an STI. Granted my family owned dealerships for years before we sold them so we know the majority of dealers back home where I do most of my business (7 hours away). My STI i told the dealership that I didn't want anything done to the vehicle until I got there. When I arrived there was 4 miles on the car and I was offered that if I wanted the car washed I could drive it into the bay. Obviously wasn't going to go that far but since I was there I could watch what was done. I used my test drive to go fill it with gas so I knew a salesman wouldn't take the time to see how fast they could get it when they normally go fill it up.

I have been a salesman and know plenty of stories of them doing dumb things. Majority of accidents dealerships have are on the dealership lot in my experience. So on the car I am waiting to come in now will not be moved until I get there if I am not at the dealership when it arrives.

A preorder I expect under 10 miles on it when it comes off truck.
Sponsored