Sponsored

Acceptable odometer reading (can dealers test drive orders before customer pickup) ?

OP
OP
Mcfly

Mcfly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered my 2018 Expedition in 2017 - that was completely redesigned generation and none of the dealers had them at lots.
I had my VIN way before delivery and added it to a FordPass app, looks like somebody approved my request in Sync3 during prep, so I could manage it (check mileage, tire pressure, fuel level, exact GPS location, could lock/unlock it and start the engine sitting at home on the other part of the city). When it came to the dealer it had 8km on odometer and empty fuel tank, next day was full tank of fuel and 22km on odometer.
when I came to pick it up (earlier than agreed) it was standing on the most prime location in front of the main entrance unlocked. Was tons of oily fingerprints all around.
I specifically asked no dealer stickers, test drives and show rooms.
So, the bottom line is - it is absolutely on your sales manager and his/her honesty. Expect to work hard on that since it will be brand new “iconic” vehicle with tons of quirky features.
That’s what I’m hoping to prevent. I appreciate your advise!
Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sounds incredible ! Track your Bronco in reall time the moment it leaves the factory! Thanks!
On star is awful! You’re right to privacy gone. All that’s left if the insurance companies tracking your mileage and speed so they can charge you more.

Hell no!!

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not uncommon for vehicles to be pulled from the line before shipping out for extra testing and may have up to 100 miles on them.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This will be the first time I’ve reserved/ordered a vehicle vs purchasing new off the lot. Other cars I’ve purchased new have had odometer readings ranging from 20 up to over 800 ( dealer claimed it was transported from NC to FL). I imagine most if not all the mileage is from “test drives”.

When ordering our Broncos, should we expect the odometer to be really low (like less than 10)? My assumption is that the vehicle should be respected as purchased ( not sale pending )and that no “test drives” should be given out during the brief time it arrives on the lot and the breakneck speed on my part to finally make first contact!
When I purchased my 2011 Ford Edge Sport, I ordered it. I had a really great Fleet Salesman who made purchases easier than anything. He kept me updated on my vehicle build and then told me the day it arrived at the dealer. I drove over to see it and do the final paperwork but had to come back the next day because they had to do the prep on it. Drove it home with 2 miles on the odometer. I assume there was some driving at the factory and then loading it on the trailer for transport, then a little when they unloaded it. I was happy with 2 miles. I would be happy with up to 10 miles which on my F150 that is what it had. I would not be happy with anything more than that.

I cannot wait for the next step of this adventure! I want to build online in prep for ordering!!

BigDog

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I work at the Ford plant where we build the Super Duty trucks and Navigators and Expeditions. Shouldn’t be anymore than 25 miles on the vehicle leaving the plant. Most will be way lower but a few random vehicles get pulled to go on 25 mile drives but it’s a small amount.

Now after it leaves the plant it’s not Fords responsibility anymore so no telling who might drive it, the haulers, the dealership.

Last edited:

Sponsored

socalraptor

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think it's important to tell your sales rep what you expect. I'm glad I buy all my Fords from the same dealer. They knew not to wash my mustang when it arrived. And they told me when to expect it.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It would be a breach of trust for a sold vehicle to be used for test or joy rides. A respectable dealer would not do that without your permission.
Especially a Ferris Bueller type of joy ride. I would want to avoid having my new Bronco bashed around on some test drive, or on a manual model someone clashing the gears before I got it.

Ford Bronco Acceptable odometer reading (can dealers test drive orders before customer pickup) ? FerrisJoyRide

MarcTut

Outer Banks
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Honda Civic Si, '20 Colorado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s not true unless it’s a state law. I would still not buy it if that’s what they said.
I've been told the same thing when buying a motorcycle in Ohio (that the dealer must ride x distance for inspection before they can legally sell) so they just take all bikes out on a short loop drive, but I was totally fine with that being as that if there is a critical problem on a bike, I'd rather someone else be riding it and find it first (and it was a standard cruiser and not any fancy race bike so I wasn't worried about some kid giving it hell in the break in period). I've never heard of this in Indiana though.

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I go to my dealership and find out they used my ordered bronco for test drives I’m walking right back out that door
No problem. The next person that walks in wanting one will buy it. And probably at a better profit for the dealership. Supply and Demand..

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another reason to wait.

Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
On star is awful! You’re right to privacy gone. All that’s left if the insurance companies tracking your mileage and speed so they can charge you more.

Hell no!!
Tesla already does this.. Had a Hotshotter friend that was moving a Tesla from Twin Cities to Texas. The Texas customer asked that it not arrive for a couple days. Hotshotter parked it in his garage in Omaha for a couple days.. Telsa called the transportation company, they tracked it to a Omaha residential area, wanting to know if had been stolen. Also Progressive insurance sends you trackers that plug into your ALDL. They record hard brake, excessive acceleration, time of day it happened.. "Big Brother" is here and now.

MarcTut

Outer Banks
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Honda Civic Si, '20 Colorado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No problem. The next person that walks in wanting one will buy it. And probably at a better profit for the dealership. Supply and Demand..
Sadly this is true. My dealer flat out told me that if they can get their hands on any Broncos (include those who back out last minute) they will be assessing how much mark up they can get cause they are expecting it to be huge...so be sure to order one if you are expecting MSRP. I'd add to make sure you go with a dealership you can trust because I'm betting they are HOPING buyers back out. It wouldn't surprise me if some shady ones do things to make order-buyers want to just walk out on their delivered Bronco.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Arrival mileage is usually 4-12, but some are test driven at the plant. They used to put stickers saying that they drove it and how many miles, but they don't seem to fo it anymore. Usually 20-30 miles, but sometimes as high as 80. Its supposed to be random, but it always seems like the fancier ones get driven.

As to being there for arrival, we rarely know when they're coming. We know when assigned to a load. But how long till it arrives varies greatly.
Exactly, I had a sticker in my Mustang Boss LS saying something about driven due to QC checks. It was one of the 1st 50 off the line so I assumed they were just making sure everything checked out.

I would imagine they will be doing the same thing to the 1st ones coming off the line for customer orders.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Everywhere. If you have not paid in full it’s not your car.
Sponsored