Sponsored

Acceptable odometer reading (can dealers test drive orders before customer pickup) ?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to work in a Ford dealership. I wasn't a new car setup guy, but I did a few here and there to help out. Its called PDI...stands for pre delivery inspection. We had a guy who typically did all of them, and as such he was our inside source for new model info. PDI pretty much involves taking the plastic off (unless the salesman says the cust specifically requested not to), installing anything the factory wanted off for transport (often wheel accents like trim rings, center caps etc), checking fluids, and a good visual inspection. Then a short road test (2mi max). Alot can happen in shipping and loading on and off the transporter, so visual inspection is key. Typically the car would be ready for delivery w/8 miles or less. Some vehicles came off the transporter w/20-25 miles and these had been randomly selected for factory quality checks. Ford never gave us an exact figure as to the frequency of these random checks...it appeared they checked more frequently models/plants that they suspected had issues. I won't cite any specific examples as I quit in 2004 to chase the American dream. Any info from back then would be irrelevant now.
Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm pretty sure unless its a dealer allocation, they are not allowed to let people drive them. I ordered my 2011 Ford Explorer (First year of the new model) and when they got me to the dealership it had 2 miles on it which they said was from moving it out of the factory down to shipping area and then off the truck at the dealership.
Agree

Rexford L

Badlands
First Name
Rexford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Ram 2500 4x4, 92 F150 4x4, 17 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you order one, a good dealer can sometimes arrange for you to be there when the truck arrives. You should be ready to do the paperwork right then (or when the finance person strolls in) as a courtesy.

Usually less than 20 is good for me, but I have bought single digits.
Highest "new" vehicle mileage I bought was a 2003 SVT Cobra (they already had 04's on the lot) and let people test drive it by themselves. I think that it had about 250 miles. It's also one of the best vehicles I've owned. My 12 Ram 2500 had 3 miles on it, and the lowest was my 18 K1600 GTL (bike) with 1.2 miles.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

When I picked up my 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro it had 4 miles on it.

Sponsored

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Granger Ford we’re curious what your stance is on this. I’m coming from 1,100 miles away (flying), and will need to plan some leave once the Bronco is known to be there.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
only new vehicle I bought had less than 3 miles on it, and 2 of those was from the test drive on it I did. the salesman couldn't drive a stick, so I had to drive it to their little test area.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, already sold or marked as sold are off-limits for any respectable dealership. They'll park them in the back and detail then when you're on your way to pick it up.

The most I've ever done for another customer was to open up a vehicle that was marked as sold if it had a particular option on it that was unavailable in all the other cars in the lot, but no test drives ever.

Oh and to answer the question, New vehicles fresh off the truck with the wrapping on them and everything would have between six and 12 miles on the odometer no matter what. This was for Nissan though. I'd say if your ordered vehicle has more than 35-40 miles you should be curious as to why.

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do know when I order my Mach 1 I will be requesting they do not touch the wrapping, do the inspection without driving it, and after I get it ceramic coated and vinyl wrapped on the front I'll bring it back for the maiden test drive, where they can ride shotgun. It will be towed to the body shop for the CC and wrap. I'll be there when it comes in off the truck, and if it has more than 5 miles, they can send me another.

If they'll agree with it, depending on where the body shop is or if they have the facilities to do it (And capability according to me, which one of the local dealers does..) they can do the wrap/CC there, I'll just be sitting there in a lawn chair watching for the day or two it takes.

I have spend my entire teenage to adult life, I am nearly 40. For this car coming out next year. I will quite literally be cashing in part of my retirement or selling part of my land to make sure the funds are available. Anyone looking to buy a 4yo toddler? He has the very best education up until this point, in a very high end private school. Very smart, was doing great reasoning earlier. I asked him whose cake this was I was holding. He said mine. I said 'no, it is mine, everything I give to you is mine'. He said 'no, it's mine', and started screaming until I gave him his cake.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ordered vehicles are not used for test drives. I've ordered a couple and bought a couple while they are on the truck. Once you have put your deposit down, the vehicle is considered yours. That is why they want to get you in the dealership as soon as possible once the vehicle shows up and is prepped. They want your money.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Granger Ford we’re curious what your stance is on this. I’m coming from 1,100 miles away (flying), and will need to plan some leave once the Bronco is known to be there.
When we have a VIN there should be about a 30 day window to plan the trip, hopefully not longer....

It is built in MI so we get them fairly consistently...

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, already sold or marked as sold are off-limits for any respectable dealership. They'll park them in the back and detail then when you're on your way to pick it up.

The most I've ever done for another customer was to open up a vehicle that was marked as sold if it had a particular option on it that was unavailable in all the other cars in the lot, but no test drives ever.

Oh and to answer the question, New vehicles fresh off the truck with the wrapping on them and everything would have between six and 12 miles on the odometer no matter what. This was for Nissan though. I'd say if your ordered vehicle has more than 35-40 miles you should be curious as to why.
Ford Bronco Acceptable odometer reading (can dealers test drive orders before customer pickup) ? 1601839171570

They all have miles on them prior to us sitting in them the first time...

Anything over 30 on the clock have a sticker from the manufacturer where they pull them off at the end of the line for quality assurance...

Yes they do sold vehicles that way as well, my 2013 F-150 that I ordered from the KC plant had 35 miles on it and the sticker...
Sponsored