Sponsored

Acceptable odometer reading (can dealers test drive orders before customer pickup) ?

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I got my Acura, I worked at an Acura dealer and knew what I wanted, but we didn't have it in stock, so I got to go pick it up on a dealer trade and drive it back to my dealer. Had 5 miles on it when I picked it up and drove it back and had 69 miles when I officially bought it.

I've never really minded mileage on new cars for the most part. I did look at a new F150 that looked like a screaming deal, get down to the dealer and it turns out that it had been a service loaner and was being used as a parts truck when I got there. They were still selling it as a new car, and when I asked about warranty they basically told me tough luck. Safe to say, I walked out and never looked back.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking the same thing. When I bought my F-150, it had to be driven from out of state, so I got it with 350 miles on it.
If I end up with the first Bronco in my town, I sure don't want anyone driving it around for test rides or just for fun before I get it. I live in Michigan, so it should be delivered to dealer on a semi trailer and I'd expect it to have about 0.5 miles on it.
You're going to be very disappointed then, because that will never happen. Expect at least 5-7 at the least.

I would appreciate if my Dealer drove it home a couple times. He drove my Raptor for a couple weeks before I could pick it up. He also drove the Boss 302 around town before I got up there. Trust him completely. I've purchased and traded over 30 new Fords with him.
That's a huge HELL NO from me. o_O

Pretty sure a dealer can't sell a vehicle as "new" if it has over 80 miles on it(or somewhere around there).
That's definitely not true. It's new until it's first titled.

No problem. The next person that walks in wanting one will buy it. And probably at a better profit for the dealership. Supply and Demand..
Exactly. They will be licking their chops for people to back out, especially early on.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
working for a dealer for a short time we would take the vehicles we would get in. Put on all the dealer accessories (mud flaps, floor mats, muffler tips, pin stripes etc) would turn take off all the packing plastic. And put on dealer plate or frame sticker etc. then take the gas card. Fill up the car take it around the “block” (2-4 miles) then wash.

the important thing with the driving a few miles is to burn out all the plastic. Some times cars smell like melted plastic BAD. that’s what that new car smell is.

so very common for a new car to have 10-15 miles.

some dealers don’t do that and just slap everything on at time of sale.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread just reminded of some chick on Facebook several weeks ago claiming to work at a dealership and not always having a choice and would have to let people test drive orders.

Sponsored

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought a 2014 Civic Si new and it had 4 miles on it when I drove it out of the showroom :cool:

Digital_Synapse

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco, 2020 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Every new vehicle I've ever purchased has had under 10mi. I expect this to be the same.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

once I put in the order I'll nail it down that my Bronco will not be driven by any customer looking for a test drive, but I doubt they'd allow that with a custom ordered car anyway.

Yogadog

Badlands
First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG E63s wagon, Jeep Cherokee, LR Defender, 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This will be the first time I’ve reserved/ordered a vehicle vs purchasing new off the lot. Other cars I’ve purchased new have had odometer readings ranging from 20 up to over 800 ( dealer claimed it was transported from NC to FL). I imagine most if not all the mileage is from “test drives”.

When ordering our Broncos, should we expect the odometer to be really low (like less than 10)? My assumption is that the vehicle should be respected as purchased ( not sale pending )and that no “test drives” should be given out during the brief time it arrives on the lot and the breakneck speed on my part to finally make first contact!
I have special ordered several vehicles and they all have had less than 10 miles on them on pickup. I have also been able to be there when they were still being peeled and prepped for delivery to me. With my most recent purchase I even was able to get the name of the ship it was coming to the US on. Tracked it all the way here ? Just stay in close contact with the dealer.

Sponsored

Locked-n-loaded

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socalfj40.com
Vehicle(s)
'74 Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered my Ford Edge. It came directly from the factory after 8 weeks on a train and when I got it it had 10 miles on it. if I placed a factory order for a brand new vehicle specifically for me and it came with a 50+ miles on it I'd be having a conversation with the dealer.

TheWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Silverado HD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When I bought my Wrangler, I price shopped hard, and chose a dealership roughly an hour away. Customer order specifically for me (Jeep even puts the ordering customer's name on the window sticker.)

I had dealer installed front seat heaters put on. When I got to the Jeep, it had nearly 100 miles on it. I was not happy. EVERYTHING else was perfect though, so before I lost my cool I calmly asked about the mileage. The salesman said it was because they took it to a shop to have the seat heaters installed. Everything checked out on a mileage standpoint.

Here's the rub, the shop was RIGHT outside of the town I was driving from to get to the dealership. We had a conversation about expectations, and that I did not know it was going to be driven like that, he apologized for the poor communication on that point.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my current vehicle I ordered like ~5 IIRC. manufactures do test drive some for longer periods to check for quality control and sometimes they include something with the truck; if the dealer doesn't throw it away explaining the extra miles.

tlowell01

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got a '97 Mustang GT new from the factory back in the day, and if I remember correctly, it had 4 whole miles on it when I picked it up. I'd expect something similar for my Bronco.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have special ordered several vehicles and they all have had less than 10 miles on them on pickup. I have also been able to be there when they were still being peeled and prepped for delivery to me. With my most recent purchase I even was able to get the name of the ship it was coming to the US on. Tracked it all the way here ? Just stay in close contact with the dealer.
I'm hoping this will be a similar situation. Kind of like watching it be created from nothing.
Sponsored