Sponsored

Acceptable odometer reading (can dealers test drive orders before customer pickup) ?

Markkelly1965

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Bronco, 09 Expedition, 77 Vette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This will be my first new purchase and order. Plan on questioning my salesman on exactly how few of hands need to touch my new baby.

StaticAnalysis

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do the cars arrive dirty enough to require a wash? I'd like to go get it wrapped in paint protection film ASAP.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anything more than 2 miles is ridiculous, and more than needed to put it on and take it off a trailer. If it can't be delivered to my dealership then why should I use them? If it has to be driven from one dealer to another, give me the choice to go get it! No need for anybody else to drive it, end of story!!!!!!!
I'll assume you aren't always this emotional or demanding, but when I worked for Nissan the very least I'd see on them would be about 11-16 miles. I don't know if the drivetrain and odometer came online before the rest of the car was finished or if the plant just had to shuffle and transport them around more than one would think but that's the case. I could tell which came from the Tennessee plant and which came from Mexico and Mississippi because they'd be a bit higher, if memory serves. Visually go over the car thoroughly and don't burn your salesperson on the survey unless they truly deserved it.

if someone else farts in my seat before i do, then... it's a no go...
I used to joke that NO ONE got to fart in my customers' new cars before I got to (had to get it detailed etc before delivery.). It wasn't meant maliciously though I didn't know I was lactose intolerant at the time sooo. ?

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would be AWESOME to be there when it arrives. I will ask them that question when time gets closer - a year from now! Sounds so long off.
When we ordered a new Vette (1st C5 sold in Calif) we were there when it came off the truck.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other cars I’ve purchased new have had odometer readings ranging from 20 up to over 800 ( dealer claimed it was transported from NC to FL).
800 miles!!! That is no longer a 'new' car, it is used and should be sold as used.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even a few can be badhttps://youtu.be/_jWwjzHGsJY

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've special ordered nearly all of my new vehicles since 1986. Never has the dealer allowed them to be used for test drives. My new Ranger had 3 miles on the odo when I picked it up. Only a chit head dealer would do such a thing, and if they did it would be theirs if it were my special order.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would generally say "under 30 miles" assuming the car was on a lot, others may have driven it, etc.. That said, I expect the dealer to call me and say "truck comes in tomorrow" and as close to 0 miles as humanly possible. If a vehicle I ordered months/year in advance has 15-20 miles on it when I pick it up, I'll be royally pissed.

Sponsored

stuston

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, 7.3L Excursion, Multiple TDI's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have received GM fleet vehicles straight off the truck from the factory at our facility (no dealer involved), with less than 30 miles, and some with over 70 miles. They have a standard check they do on every vehicle. Some get extra miles either because of being pulled for additional QA checks, or because they had an issue that had to be worked out at the factory. A few extra miles could be from just taking a different route to the train/truck to be loaded, and may have been loaded and unloaded multiple times before arriving at the final destination. Why 20~30miles difference? GM workers, probably just goofing off. ;)

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I bought my 2017 STI new it had 7 miles on the odometer 3-4 of which were mine from test driving the thing. But on an order there better damn well not be anybody using it for test drives. Maybe a couple miles from moving it around or manufacturer test drive, but should be pretty damn close to 0, at least under 10 or I will be questioning where it's been.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Speaking as somebody who ordered a 2019 Ranger via the same ordering process and from the same factory as Bronco is coming from, the Ranger had 12 miles on it at the dealership and had been selected for additional (closed course) road testing at MAP before it got loaded on the train.

They document this in your tracking and also give you a small pamphlet about the additional road testing in the glove box if your vehicle is selected for it.

As always, YMMV because of how the vehicle gets from MAP to where you take legal delivery of it. Here on the best coast, it will take a train to MAP, then dropped at one of the regional depots Ford has, then whatever means your specific dealership has to get cars from depot to the lot. This varies greatly as some dealer networks will group together for auto-transport on truck if they are far from the depot, or the small dealers sometimes just send all the lot porters out in one big fieldtrip to bring back 7-9 cars at a time.

Our depot is 20 miles away but the dealership agreed to load the Ranger on the same truck that was delivering Shelby 350's to their lot from depot, so it cut off those 20 miles. I'm guessing the folks dropping $70K+ on a Shelby don't want some grubby lot porter caning their car around before delivery?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

my vw arrived in my greedy little hands with 3 miles + the miles it took to drive it from the partner dealership to me, about 17 total. The last two subaru's that the wife took delivery on, had 4 miles on the clock.

I think anything beyond 10 miles will get a raised eyebrow from me. Hell, if I thought I could get away with it, I'd just have the truck dropped off directly at my house and avoid the dealer completely, just to avoid lot monkeys and derpy salespeople

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Shoot im gonna put 20 miles on that sucker right away taking Bruno and the gf for chicken wings!
Sponsored