First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was finally able to test drive a bronco and I love it more than I thought I would.
the model was in a soft top and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I originally planned to get dual tops but obviously that isn’t a current possibility.
I live in PA so winter snow is a factor for me. I don’t need to drive most of the winter so cabin temp isn’t a huge concern and if I did need to drive I have a second car.
I don’t have a garage currently (nor do I have a great set up to add one)

has anyone thought about putting up a carport/ parking pavilion to protect the soft top in the winter?
Sponsored

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m in a similar situation. I have an idea that I will put my soft top to test. I have no garage and was thinking of a carport a couple of years ago, but never did it. Now I regret it. Im going to have to stay on top of removing snow diligently, otherwise it could get ruined with the weight. They do make kits for carports on the Internet you can order. In my situation, building a heavy snow proof carport is almost as expensive as a one car garage, so im 90% sure I will go with a one car garage, probably from Tuffshed at the end of the driveway next year. Wish I had a hard top, only for this reason.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The cabin temps will be fine once the Bronco warms up, which is why remote start is going to be awesome during winter. I'm in Utah, and also switched to a soft top, so I'll be in the same boat. However, mine will be mostly in a garage when it's not being used.

Definitely let it warm up before getting on the road though, and be careful with how you clear the snow off the top.

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in Maryland, so certainly not as much snow as up there, but we do get our fair share. I think the best place to look for some insight would be the jeep folks who have had soft tops for a while now. I'm kind of under the impression that as long as you knock it off of there every foot or so of show you'll be fine, but obviously the carport would be easier. The cabin temp is probably less of a concern since you'll have the ford app and can remote start it (and from what I'm hearing the AC system is pretty strong, so the heater likely does a good job as well). The thing to be most aware of is that if you do have it in winter don't touch the vinyl windows when you're knocking off the snow, I've heard horror stories of those shattering like glass when they get too cold and you're not supposed to really even touch the window with anything or it might scratch.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was finally able to test drive a bronco and I love it more than I thought I would.
the model was in a soft top and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I originally planned to get dual tops but obviously that isn’t a current possibility.
I live in PA so winter snow is a factor for me. I don’t need to drive most of the winter so cabin temp isn’t a huge concern and if I did need to drive I have a second car.
I don’t have a garage currently (nor do I have a great set up to add one)

has anyone thought about putting up a carport/ parking pavilion to protect the soft top in the winter?
Being in the northeast is one of the reasons I don't want a soft top though I'll admit I did like how easy it was to drop the top.

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Soft top will be fine in winter if you don’t get a trim that has remote start and you want it look into 12voltsolutions.com, add it for 200 bucks. I wouldn’t worry about the soft top they are made for the weather they just will wear out over time.

BroBronco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have the soft top on mine. Had it about 2 weeks.

I believe it will hold up well to snow. Its not thin. Its a tough thick canvas material.

My old jeep had a soft top and it sat outside 24/7 365 at high elevation on a dirt road for about 15 years in Colorado. Tons of snow and below 0 temps. I had to replace the soft top one (1) time + 1 back brace part in those 15 years. You will be fine for a long time. Plenty of time to erect a carport. I just wouldn't let the snow stack too high for too long.

Your heater will still work fantastic. I dont have remote start since i have a manual transmission, but I anticipate quick heat coming out of the turbo 4cyl engine (and the v6 as well).

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m in a similar situation. I have an idea that I will put my soft top to test. I have no garage and was thinking of a carport a couple of years ago, but never did it. Now I regret it. Im going to have to stay on top of removing snow diligently, otherwise it could get ruined with the weight. They do make kits for carports on the Internet you can order. In my situation, building a heavy snow proof carport is almost as expensive as a one car garage, so im 90% sure I will go with a one car garage, probably from Tuffshed at the end of the driveway next year. Wish I had a hard top, only for this reason.
I’m thinking of putting up a pavilion but am thinking a car port that you can tear down for a year or two and then have the pavilion added when we put the addition on our house.
this is unrelated but I would really urge you do to some research about TuffShed. I had a family member work for them and he worked less than three weeks there because their stuff was junk. Anything from actual safety concerns to something like the door not being ridiculously off centered. And good luck getting them to fix it. He quit when he realized they didn’t care about quality only their profit. Just thought I’d share his experience but feel free to ignore it

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the soft top on mine. Had it about 2 weeks.

I believe it will hold up well to snow. Its not thin. Its a tough thick canvas material.

My old jeep had a soft top and it sat outside 24/7 365 at high elevation on a dirt road for about 15 years in Colorado. Tons of snow and below 0 temps. I had to replace the soft top one (1) time + 1 back brace part in those 15 years. You will be fine for a long time. Plenty of time to erect a carport. I just wouldn't let the snow stack too high for too long.

Your heater will still work fantastic. I dont have remote start since i have a manual transmission, but I anticipate quick heat coming out of the turbo 4cyl engine (and the v6 as well).

Hope this helps.
This gives me a lot of confidence in the top. I read as long as you clear the snow off every 6 inches it is fine. I just want to be sure I’m taking care of my car

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm in Maryland, so certainly not as much snow as up there, but we do get our fair share. I think the best place to look for some insight would be the jeep folks who have had soft tops for a while now. I'm kind of under the impression that as long as you knock it off of there every foot or so of show you'll be fine, but obviously the carport would be easier. The cabin temp is probably less of a concern since you'll have the ford app and can remote start it (and from what I'm hearing the AC system is pretty strong, so the heater likely does a good job as well). The thing to be most aware of is that if you do have it in winter don't touch the vinyl windows when you're knocking off the snow, I've heard horror stories of those shattering like glass when they get too cold and you're not supposed to really even touch the window with anything or it might scratch.
Thank you!
Someone on a Jeep forum said they have a set of windows for summer and ones for winter (apparently the salt is tough on the windows and can scratch them) and that is genius IMO

Sponsored

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you!
Someone on a Jeep forum said they have a set of windows for summer and ones for winter (apparently the salt is tough on the windows and can scratch them) and that is genius IMO
That's a really good idea, I think the only catch you might run into there would be that the parts are so sparse for Bronco's right now it might be hard to actually find replacement windows for a while.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm in Delaware. We get some cold winters and some snow but nothing like Buffalo. I have always been about hard tops. But after test driving a soft top Bronco the other day I decided to go that route. My past Wrangler and current Gladiator were/are both hard tops. I have only ever had the Freedom panels out on both. The ease of flipping the soft top back for both rows sold me. And just a few more steps for full open air. I just need to alter how I do things now and not leave a much in my vehicle. Also not too worried about the cold because I'll have heated seats.

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm in Delaware. We get some cold winters and some snow but nothing like Buffalo. I have always been about hard tops. But after test driving a soft top Bronco the other day I decided to go that route. My past Wrangler and current Gladiator were/are both hard tops. I have only ever had the Freedom panels out on both. The ease of flipping the soft top back for both rows sold me. And just a few more steps for full open air. I just need to alter how I do things now and not leave a much in my vehicle. Also not too worried about the cold because I'll have heated seats.
I’m glad I’m not the only convert. I am only worried about the weight of snow on the frame but it seems like I’m over thinking it
That's a really good idea, I think the only catch you might run into there would be that the parts are so sparse for Bronco's right now it might be hard to actually find replacement windows for a while.
Great point! I guess whenever I get my hands on some… they can be the summer windows and the old ones will be relegated to the winter

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ran an aftermarket cab top on my jeep for close to a decade with it parked outside on the driveway and it held up fine. I just used a Snowbroom to pull off the snow, and if it was a crazy storm, I would go out numerous times to make sure it never accumulated too much.
https://www.snowbroom.com

One thing that is kind of simple but actually really helps is putting a tarp on top of the soft top when you know it is going to snow. Then you are clearing snow off the tarp vs the soft top.

All the comments about Remote start are dead on. Love it, use it for both warm and cold.
it's great for keeping the locks and doors from freezing.

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ran an aftermarket cab top on my jeep for close to a decade with it parked outside on the driveway and it held up fine. I just used a Snowbroom to pull off the snow, and if it was a crazy storm, I would go out numerous times to make sure it never accumulated too much.
https://www.snowbroom.com

One thing that is kind of simple but actually really helps is putting a tarp on top of the soft top when you know it is going to snow. Then you are clearing snow off the tarp vs the soft top.

All the comments about Remote start are dead on. Love it, use it for both warm and cold.
it's great for keeping the locks and doors from freezing.
I’ll have to look into the cab top, thanks!
Sponsored