Sponsored

Action Camper Bronco Build... 5 year plan. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right now my plan is the 2.3 AT only bc I do slot of interstate driving when I go on vacation. Then later on doing a tune or or a complete engine swap depending on which route I chose to take full time travel!
IMO, you should consider the 2.7L especially if you will be adding weight in the camper conversion or hauling a camper. At highway speed, the 2.7 will be cruising in overdrive so you will be optimizing the fuel economy. The cost difference is negligible (in the overall ticket price of your Bronco). But it is better to have too much engine and not need it, then to want a bigger engine and not have it. The 2.7 in the 2-dr will have plenty of pep while having plenty of power in reserve when you add/haul the weight.
Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, you should consider the 2.7L especially if you will be adding weight in the camper conversion or hauling a camper. At highway speed, the 2.7 will be cruising in overdrive so you will be optimizing the fuel economy. The cost difference is negligible (in the overall ticket price of your Bronco). But it is better to have too much engine and not need it, then to want a bigger engine and not have it. The 2.7 in the 2-dr will have plenty of pep while having plenty of power in reserve when you add/haul the weight.
second this, unless you are serious about swapping that engine and want to save the money from not opting fro the 2.7 and put it to swapping.

OP
OP
618TRVLWILD

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

second this, unless you are serious about swapping that engine and want to save the money from not opting fro the 2.7 and put it to swapping.
I may just do it. It was only 300$ difference! All very valid points!

Last edited:
OP
OP
618TRVLWILD

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Be l
i'd recommend it... not many people like driving a car with close to a soda pop displacement (2 liters)
Ford Bronco Action Camper Bronco Build... 5 year plan. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? 1604607234158
Be like driving my hummer again that thing was not fast at all!! But once you got to 75 thing would haul ??

Sponsored

smoot618

Badlands
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah!! It be fine. Lots of lightweight campers these days. I looked into many. My hummer had an inline 5 I pulled a travel lite with it. Just gotta do that research! Check out the Sunray Mini

Ford Bronco Action Camper Bronco Build... 5 year plan. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? 1604607234158
Awesome! What would be your limit on weight?

OP
OP
618TRVLWILD

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Awesome! What would be your limit on weight?
Well the bronco being limited to 3500# I'd stay around the 2000# area just be be safe and still have a decent pull. So get a 1500# camper gives you some area if you gotta load some other things on it! Just always got to make sure that weight distribution is in the right areas! Last thing yeah want flying down the interstate and trailer does something funky!

OP
OP
618TRVLWILD

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Y'all I might go this route! Have to find the first wrecked gen6 bronco in the junk yard!!

FB_IMG_1604634428211.jpg

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are wanting to get creative with a Franken-Bronco-Camper, then consider this -

Start with a 2-dr. Keep an eye for salvaged rear quarter panels from a 4-dr. Take a torch to your 2-dr qtr panels at the mid-wheel well and same for the 4-dr. Weld the front 2-dr/back 4-dr qtr panels. You now have the length of a 4-dr without dealing with the useless rear doors. You would have to weld an extension to the rear cargo area. Potable water tanks can be fitted behind the qtr panels. You can then use the Ursa Minor tent camper as inspiration to outfit the top. Obviously, rear seat delete and install a plate system (Goose Gear) for flat floor and organized storage.

Last edited:

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i'd recommend it... not many people like driving a car with close to a soda pop displacement (2 liters)
Ford Bronco Action Camper Bronco Build... 5 year plan. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? FB_IMG_1604634428211
2.3 or 2.7 both close to soda pop displacement. It a .4 difference. That lawnmower Subaru in the meme is right in between with a 2.5 motor Lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
618TRVLWILD

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you are wanting to get creative with a Franken-Bronco-Camper, then consider this -

Start with a 2-dr. Keep an eye for salvaged rear quarter panels from a 4-dr. Take a torch to your 2-dr qtr panels at the mid-wheel well and same for the 4-dr. Weld the front 2-dr/back 4-dr qtr panels. You now have the length of a 4-dr without dealing with the useless rear doors. You would have to weld an extension to the rear cargo area. Potable water tanks can be fitted behind the qtr panels. You can then use the Ursa Minor tent camper as inspiration to outfit the top. Obviously, rear seat delete and install a plate system (Goose Gear) for flat floor and organized storage.
Sounds like I'm going to have to learn to weld!! Haha

OP
OP
618TRVLWILD

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2.3 or 2.7 both close to soda pop displacement. It a .4 difference. That lawnmower Subaru in the meme is right in between with a 2.5 motor Lol.
Rice burner broncos ???

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

but then you have to lengthen the inside of the bronco. better to get a 4 door and just remove the door handles and graft a bit of alum or steel to make it look like a 2 door. i know i didn't do a very good job of making a rear panel for the window but i only have paint 3d :(
Ford Bronco Action Camper Bronco Build... 5 year plan. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? extended 2dr.JPG

OP
OP
618TRVLWILD

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

but then you have to lengthen the inside of the bronco. better to get a 4 door and just remove the door handles and graft a bit of alum or steel to make it look like a 2 door. i know i didn't do a very good job of making a rear panel for the window but i only have paint 3d :(
Ford Bronco Action Camper Bronco Build... 5 year plan. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? extended 2dr.JPG
Creative I like it!! You all think we are going to get a rear seat delete from aftermarket! I've never done anything like that so be interesting!

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Creative I like it!! You all think we are going to get a rear seat delete from aftermarket! I've never done anything like that so be interesting!
if we don't get it from the aftermarket just get a sawzall and after taking out the rear seats just build a shore-up of 2x4s.
Sponsored