Sponsored

Adaptive cruise control - standalone option?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove a Corolla with that option. Absolutely hated it. It being included in Lux is the #1 reason I won't get the Lux package.
That's the first time I've heard someone who actually had it and used it, say they don't like it or love it. Did you think the closest following gap setting was too far or something? That's the only real downside I see at times, and only really becomes apparent at high highway speeds (75+).
Sponsored

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's the first time I've heard someone who actually had it and used it, say they don't like it or love it. Did you think the closest following gap setting was too far or something? That's the only real downside I see at times, and only really becomes apparent at high highway speeds (75+).
There are a reasonable number of people that don’t like adaptive cruise if you check the interwebs. Also the quality of the implementation varies quite a bit if you go by professional reviews.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dude, the 80s ended 30 years ago ? That's what is hard to believe. I wouldn't call the 80s "recent"
Terms like recent are all about perspective

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a reasonable number of people that don’t like adaptive cruise if you check the interwebs. Also the quality of the implementation varies quite a bit if you go by professional reviews.
Okay, my experience was only anecdotal, so maybe it is not well liked, or that implementation in some cars is not good. I have had a Subaru (Company car) and two GMs and they have all been very good, and I love the feature when I didn't think I would when it came on the first one.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Terms like recent are all about perspective
And in the perspective of the auto industry 30 years is a long time. True build sheets are a thing of the past. Especially when it comes to integrated electric technology.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay, my experience was only anecdotal, so maybe it is not well liked, or that implementation in some cars is not good.
Random reviews on the internet are anecdotal too. I am not suggesting that adaptive cruise is not well liked, just that the appreciation is not universal.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Adaptive is the ONLY feature I could not get on my current car because it was part of a package that include some "tech" I knew was going to be bad news down the road.

In this case, it is only mentioned as part of the LUX which as we all know is the top package and would have cost a pretty penny to get there (Trim + Mide + High + Lux).

With that said, I'd like to think of it as a Safety system and in some of the video reviews from McAuthor Ford, he mentioned it might be a stand alone so I'm keeping my hopes up, but not holding my breath.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
And in the perspective of the auto industry 30 years is a long time. True build sheets are a thing of the past. Especially when it comes to integrated electric technology.
My writing represents my perspective, not the auto industry. I find it remarkable that ”as recently” as 35 years ago GM was giving consumers a choice between 2 radiators on an economy car as a stand alone option.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dont like it on any car I've driven with it. If the road has any sort of curves the cruise control will constantly be letting off the gas or even taping the brake due to it detecting cars in the other lanes (or in some cases objects along the side of the road). I'm sure its fine if you primarily drive on very straight roads though.

Sponsored

DontGetBucked

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve never had adaptive cruise control so I don’t know what I’m missing. I’d rather spend the money on some accessories.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont like it on any car I've driven with it. If the road has any sort of curves the cruise control will constantly be letting off the gas or even taping the brake due to it detecting cars in the other lanes (or in some cases objects along the side of the road). I'm sure its fine if you primarily drive on very straight roads though.
I guess there must be big differences in execution between manufacturers...I have literally never had that happen in the Subaru or the GMs (2020 Escalade and 2020 Terrain), and I use it all the time, even in traffic circles. It stays on the car in front of me. Maybe because those cars have lane detection too so it knows where to look. Hopefully Ford gets it right as well, but if those two manufacturers can execute it you would think Ford could easily do it on a 2021 with no problemo.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good adaptive cruise is great, bad adaptive cruise is scary

I've used a lot of rental cars, and a Corolla had the worst I've found, and a ford fusion was one of the best systems for me.

It is silly these days when features like adaptive cruise are basically standard equipment on a Subaru or Toyota but they're only in expensive packages on other models.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess there must be big differences in execution between manufacturers...I have literally never had that happen in the Subaru or the GMs (2020 Escalade and 2020 Terrain), and I use it all the time, even in traffic circles. It stays on the car in front of me. Maybe because those cars have lane detection too so it knows where to look. Hopefully Ford gets it right as well, but if those two manufacturers can execute it you would think Ford could easily do it on a 2021 with no problemo.
Its certainly possible but the system that is on the 2017 Escape and similar model year Acura cars (the most recent ones I've used) are pretty bad at it.
Sponsored