Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably a dumb question here, but will this approach work at all without Forscan programming? Would the puddle lights go on at all? Or would they stay on while the ignition is on? Etc…. My BD is 3 months old and I’m afraid using Forscan for anything would void the warranty. Thx.
Forscan changed were required for mine to work.
Regardless of led used, the pin on the door module noted in my original post controls the light. That needs to be connected to your led. Its best to run your led ground to somewhere in the engine bay.
Sponsored

Hungy13

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Forscan changed were required for mine to work.
Regardless of led used, the pin on the door module noted in my original post controls the light. That needs to be connected to your led. Its best to run your led ground to somewhere in the engine bay.
ok. Thought so. Thanks for confirming. I’m hoping to find a way to wire puddle lights without Forscan so that they go on / off when door is opened / closed and when the Bronco is on but engine isn’t running (app mode?).

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Forscan won’t void your warranty. Its the only way you will get fully integrated functionality. Other than using forscan, you would need to install your own door sensor and still be limited to its use. You can’t wire it into parking lights because the puddle lights would be on while driving.

OBXJoe

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan titan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Forscan won’t void your warranty. Its the only way you will get fully integrated functionality. Other than using forscan, you would need to install your own door sensor and still be limited to its use. You can’t wire it into parking lights because the puddle lights would be on while driving.
How did you get the pin to seat flush ? I am using 22 gauge and I cannot get the pin far enough to sit flush as the wire bends.

Hungy13

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh! Great! As long as Forscan doesn’t affect the warranty than I’m all good. Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did you get the pin to seat flush ? I am using 22 gauge and I cannot get the pin far enough to sit flush as the wire bends.
I would try using a micro flathead screw driver to push it in from behind

OBXJoe

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan titan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would try using a micro flathead screw driver to push it in from behind
Thanks Bigmoose both sides have power and ramp down !!!!!!

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hungy13

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I really like the functionality of puddle lights. However, this is locked behind the high package which was not available on my black diamond.

I started off with the lights. For these I went with Baja Designs Rock Lights. Right amount of light, right profile. I grabbed mine from Brad at TotalZParts.com
https://www.totalzparts.com/product/baja-designs-universal-white-clear-led-rock-light-398050/

I mounted the lights to the back shell/cap of the mirror. This required 3 small holes to be drilled, two for the lights bolts, one for the wire. I don't mind the wart look, others might. The only flush option would be high package mirrors at 10x the price.
PXL_20220515_204704168.jpg

I tapped into an existing groudd wire in the mirror, and ran the power feed through the mirror into the engine bay.

Up next was to check out the wiring. While the wires for puddle lights were present at the C1401/C1400 connectors in the engine bay, they were missing at C258B/C259B which is what plugs into the door module itself under the dash.

I was able to find the proper female pin insert for the connector at mouser electronics, part#571-2035334-1. I also learned the connector is pretty tight so you need 20 or 22 ga wire. 18ga will not fit. The pin on both driver and passenger door modules is 258B/259B Pin#12 (top right corner pin as shown). The "B" connector is the one on the right without the 4 large 12ga wires and is gray in color.

PXL_20220515_193434526.jpg

The driver side was easier to access than the passenger side. Once the pins were inserted into the connector at the module I ran the wires into the engine bay and soldered them to my wires coming out of the mirror. The driver side has a nice easy firewall grommet for use. On the passenger side i ran up next to the glovebox and through the door jam by the hood hinge.

Lastly, I had to make the needed forscan modifications so it all worked seamlessly. Here were the modifications I made:

ModuleAddressValueNote
DDM740-04-0703xx-xxxx-xxyyEnable Puddle Lamp Driver Side
PDM741-04-0703xx-xxxx-xxyyEnable Puddle Lamp Passenger Side
DDM740-06-01xxxx-05xx-xxyySwitch pack power control #5
PDM741-06-01xxxx-05xx-xxyySwitch pack power control #5

I am not sure if the last two value changes are needed. I just noticed that high packages have this value field set to 05 so I did the same. "xx" are existing values not to change. "yy" is the field checksum that you don't need to care about as forscan will recalculate this for you.

That's it. Now anytime I unlock or open my doors these LEDs ramp up to a perfect brightness, then do a slow ramp down after locking or closing the door after a period of time.

PXL_20220515_204708600.jpg

The video shows some judder on ramp down, that's just the camera. It looks smooth in person.
You think there will be any issues if I make the Forscan updates before installing the puddle lights? I’ll be making some other Forscan mods (unrelated to the puddle lights) and just figured I’d make the changes you listed while I’m there so that I just need to install and wire the lights in when they arrive from Oracle. Thoughts?

Hungy13

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You think there will be any issues if I make the Forscan updates before installing the puddle lights? I’ll be making some other Forscan mods (unrelated to the puddle lights) and just figured I’d make the changes you listed while I’m there so that I just need to install and wire the lights in when they arrive from Oracle. Thoughts?
I may have gotten my answer. I got this error in the DTC of Forscan after implementing the puddle light mods before installing the puddle lights

Code: B1166 - Right Front Puddle Lamp Output

Additional Fault Symptom :)15):
- Circuit Short To Battery Or Open

Status (-48):
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Passengers Door Control Unit

Now I have to figure out if I can just clear it in the DTC or bring it back to "pre puddle" light settings

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was gonna say i would expect a lamp out code probably in the module. No harm really.

Hungy13

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was gonna say i would expect a lamp out code probably in the module. No harm really.
Yep. I cleared it in DTC and it seems good now. Hopefully unrelated, I did have to reset my back passenger window (thanks YouTube!) because it it roll itself down after reaching the top of the door jam. After reset it went back to working properly.

Hungy13

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I really like the functionality of puddle lights. However, this is locked behind the high package which was not available on my black diamond.

I started off with the lights. For these I went with Baja Designs Rock Lights. Right amount of light, right profile. I grabbed mine from Brad at TotalZParts.com
https://www.totalzparts.com/product/baja-designs-universal-white-clear-led-rock-light-398050/

I mounted the lights to the back shell/cap of the mirror. This required 3 small holes to be drilled, two for the lights bolts, one for the wire. I don't mind the wart look, others might. The only flush option would be high package mirrors at 10x the price.

I tapped into an existing groudd wire in the mirror, and ran the power feed through the mirror into the engine bay.

Up next was to check out the wiring. While the wires for puddle lights were present at the C1401/C1400 connectors in the engine bay, they were missing at C258B/C259B which is what plugs into the door module itself under the dash.

I was able to find the proper female pin insert for the connector at mouser electronics, part#571-2035334-1. I also learned the connector is pretty tight so you need 20 or 22 ga wire. 18ga will not fit. The pin on both driver and passenger door modules is 258B/259B Pin#12 (top right corner pin as shown). The "B" connector is the one on the right without the 4 large 12ga wires and is gray in color.

The driver side was easier to access than the passenger side. Once the pins were inserted into the connector at the module I ran the wires into the engine bay and soldered them to my wires coming out of the mirror. The driver side has a nice easy firewall grommet for use. On the passenger side i ran up next to the glovebox and through the door jam by the hood hinge.

Lastly, I had to make the needed forscan modifications so it all worked seamlessly. Here were the modifications I made:

ModuleAddressValueNote

I am not sure if the last two value changes are needed. I just noticed that high packages have this value field set to 05 so I did the same. "xx" are existing values not to change. "yy" is the field checksum that you don't need to care about as forscan will recalculate this for you.

That's it. Now anytime I unlock or open my doors these LEDs ramp up to a perfect brightness, then do a slow ramp down after locking or closing the door after a period of time.

The video shows some judder on ramp down, that's just the camera. It looks smooth in person.

ModuleAddressValueNote

Hungy13

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does this look like the correct pin from Mouser?
Ford Bronco Added Puddle Lights to my Mid Package BD side mirrors! (Video added) IMG_3233

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this look like the correct pin from Mouser?
Ford Bronco Added Puddle Lights to my Mid Package BD side mirrors! (Video added) IMG_3233
Alot of pins look very similar. Your part number matches so you should be good.
Sponsored