Sponsored

Adding a hardtop after getting soft top at delivery…

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It seems like with the MIC top now causing a significant delay, i am beginning to wonder if I should switch to a soft top to get scheduled… After several ongoing discussions with my dealer friend as I mentioned in other posts, the MIC will push build dates out farther than originally anticipated.. I’m not posting this to further discuss delays,reservation time stamp etc… but to discuss the technical side of this dilemma since I doubt I’m alone.

-Does anyone out there think the aftermarket or Ford will build an adapter kit to allow washer fluid/defrost to be installed on initial soft top builds??
-Has anyone seen something like this available for Jeep owners who added a hard top???
-Anyone with a better technical understanding or opinion please chime in

Thanks in advance for any insight or input on this
Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
It seems like with the MIC top now causing a significant delay, i am beginning to wonder if I should switch to a soft top to get scheduled… After several ongoing discussions with my dealer friend as I mentioned in other posts, the MIC will push build dates out farther than originally anticipated.. I’m not posting this to further discuss delays,reservation time stamp etc… but to discuss the technical side of this dilemma since I doubt I’m alone.

-Does anyone out there think the aftermarket or Ford will build an adapter kit to allow washer fluid/defrost to be installed on initial soft top builds??
-Has anyone seen something like this available for Jeep owners who added a hard top???
-Anyone with a better technical understanding or opinion please chime in

Thanks in advance for any insight or input on this
Considering for my 2nd order, but leaning towards waiting.

Without knowing anything, it seems that snaking a tube that carries washer fluid from under the hood all the way to the rear of the vehicle will be a pain in the ass requiring time, effort and money. It's the reason that adding Aux Switches to any trim that doesn't have it is a no brainer. Add this to the fact that 1) MIC tops from the dealer will be very expensive and 2) It will be a long time before you can buy one. I would only consider switching to the soft top if I were willing to live with it for the duration I own he vehicle. Otherwise best to wait. You can rest assured that Ford will do everything humanly possible to sort out the Webasto hardtop problem asap.

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It has been covered pretty well by Jeep owners with input by Ford themselves as to what you'll need to convert back to hard top, and the parts availability.

I would suggest using the search function focusing on thread title as the info is at your fingertips and there is enough to satisfy your questions and get you on the path you want to take.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I never even considered a hard top so it’s a non issue for me.
Still no build date either. 🤷

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This seems like a huge unnecessary pain and expense just to get your bronco a few months earlier

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went soft top and will probably buy a hard top once the full black version is regularly available. But I dont really care if the wiper/fluid/defrost works.

Mainly because I dont have to deal with frost in my area, but also because that back wiper is so tiny, you aren't going to get anything out of it.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never even considered a hard top so it’s a non issue for me.
Still no build date either. 🤷
Out of curiosity, have you had a soft top vehicle in your climate before? I imagine WI winters get pretty severe.

No way I would want to go soft top only here in CO.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Out of curiosity, have you had a soft top vehicle in your climate before? I imagine WI winters get pretty severe.

No way I would want to go soft top only here in CO.
I own convertible JK and Mustangs. No way I want the hassle of a hard top. The soft tops are fine in the cold and snow. No interest in a hard top on the Bronco or the JK I have.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It’s not just the wiring and the plumbing for the rear wiper/washer, you will also be missing the controls on the steering column to activate the rear wiper, but if you don’t care about rear wiper, or defroster, than you can just add the hardtop.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went soft top and will probably buy a hard top once the full black version is regularly available. But I dont really care if the wiper/fluid/defrost works.
I live in AZ. My wife's Expedition apparently has a rear wiper and defroster. We have had it over 7 years and never used the rear wiper or defroster once. I looked yesterday, and the rear wiper insert is almost completely rotted away.

My last three vehicles have been Mustangs. No rear wiper. I used the rear defrost once in the past 20 years. (on an out of state trip)

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are pics out there that show the wiper coverage(sorry to lazy to look). It’s tiny. With the spare and tiny wiper coverage limiting visibility anyways I don’t think the connections are a big deal because that wiper ain’t doin much.

Defrost on a nearly 90 degree window isnt needed IMO. Have on super duty and never frosted once.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Trucks are different than cars/SUV's.

I used rear defroster a lot on my old Eclipse a lot and use it a lot on my wife's Edge. Both had/have rear wipers and they get used a lot too. Stuff accumulates on the back window a lot more when it is clear to the back. My Ranger with a topper is the same but I have nothing back there to do anything about it. It is a fairweather rig (no winter/salt) so it mainly has gravel dust to accumulate and it doesn't take long for it to get thick back there.

Never had defrost/wiper on a truck cab window and have never really needed it. Smaller cab with probably a overpowered heater (both my trucks have basically the same heater as SUV's and if there is one thing a V8 swapped Ranger can do well it is make heat) and they don't have the aerodynamic effects of the low pressure area that a full SUV-like body has.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just stick with your hard top. Only so many soft tops.... Leave them for us who really want them.
Sponsored