Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the lighting kit used.

TOTAL INSTALL TIME: 45 minutes.

(I know the guide is messy, consider this a beta until I figure out formatting to a tolerable level)

This is a "simple" guide to installing interior ambient lighting, as the Bronco w/hard top is VERY dark inside - especially once your windows are tinted. The goal was to get it as close to factory while keeping the cost affordable. This is footwell lighting and there will be a different tutorial for proper cabin lighting to replicate the missing dome light. The linked lighting kit is fully bluetooth and you control everything from your cell phone.

This install uses upfitter switch 6 (Yellow/Orange) as a manual bypass but lights will turn on and off with the vehicle if left in the on position. I did this because there are times when I don't want a lot of interior light - doors off, for example. If you don't need the bypass, your install will vary slightly. You'll need to tie into a 12v power that turns off with the vehicle. Center console is an 'always on' power source, so not ideal.

The install vehicle is a Badlands with wash out interior. This matters more than you would think - how you attach the LED lighting is going to vary based on your vehicle interior. Leather interior with carpet will likely need different LED placement below the seats. I would likely use the same method but attach to the bottom of the seat instead of the floor. No chance of getting anything sticky to stick to the vinyl, so bottom of the seat is out.

Tools and Materials Needed:
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) ToolsNeeded (2)
  • 10 feet of stranded 16 gauge wire. Trailer wire would work fine. I used blue for lighting.
  • 1ft stranded 16 gauge wire for ground.
  • 3M EXTREME install double sided tape
  • Crimp Solder connectors for 12-16 gauge wire & heat source to heat shrink wrap.
  • 1 Ring style connector for Ground lug
  • T15 bit & Screwdriver (not pictured)
  • Shrink Wrapping is optional and would only be needed if soldering wires instead of using connectors
  • Sharp knife or scissors

First, some reference material.

Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 1636030295892-

Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 1

Aux6 is Yellow/Orange and we will be attaching
that to Brown/White under the hood, which in turn
is found behind the glove box. I used crimp solder butt
connectors, which are weatherproof. This gives us 12v
behind the glove box.

Follow the instructions for your connector choice (or solder).
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 2

There are two wires behind the glove box that are part of the upfitter switch system.The brown/white wire now has 12v and will power the LED system.

To remove the glove box, push in on the tab located on each side of the glove box and let it drop down out of the way.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 3

Next, attach your 10 foot section of 14-16AWG wire with your connector of choice. Here you can see the blue wire as I was connecting it to the brown/white wire from the previous step. This was taken prior to using heat to shrink the blue sleeve down onto the wires for a permanent attachment.

You'll want to snake the wire behind the trim in the
passenger footwell that houses the speaker grill.
This panel really isn't attached in any meaningful
way, so you should have zero issue sliding it under
the edge until you hit the section in the next step.
Start up top behind the glove box and slide it under
down until you hit the door sill.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 4

This trim piece is actually the cover for the main cable channel for your Bronco. Grab with your fingers and gently pry.The entire panel will come off, exposing the wiring beneath it.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 5

Continue to run the blue wire until you hit the rear
trim piece towards the bottom of the photo.
Slightly wiggling this piece will allow it to pop up
enough for you to continue routing the blue wire
until you hit the cut out for the seat belt, as shown in
next photo.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 6
This is behind the B-Pillar, at the back of the passenger front seat.
The black object coming out of the cut out and leaving the top of
the photo is your actual seatbelt. This is going to be our exit point
(and entry point for a later step) for the blue 12v power cable.
At this point, we need to start installing the lights.

So now that we have power where we need it, we need to install the actual LED wiring harness. This is where things get tricky to explain. The LED kit in question is a Y wiring harness, and the center point for this harness is the rear center console, between the front two seats. You'll route one set of 2 LED strips to the left, and the other set to the right.

Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 7
In the photo, you can see the 12v plug going to the control module, which exits and splits into the Y. Set the LED kit in the back seat on the floor directly behind your center console. This is the central install point. From here, you will attach the first LED strip on the left and right side to the bottom of the rear seats.

Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 9

Chop off the 12v connector to reveal a black and red wire.
Black = ground
Red = 12v
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 10

I attached the control module to the rear of the console using a section of the 3M extreme tape. The included stuff is garbage. Make sure to clean the area first. Once your control module is placed, you'll want to shove the left extra wire under the center console to keep the install tidy. The loose cable gets routed under the trim piece attached to seat rail in a following step.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 11

This small black screw (T15 bit) holds the trim piece on the back of the seat rail to the vehicle. I tested it with a multimeter to confirm a solid ground via the screw threads. This will be your ground point. I had to create a small ground wire, as I didn't have a ring connector that would fit the bolt shaft that would crimp onto the 16AWG wire.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 12

Right here is where I attach the ground to bolt above after having scuffed the surface to ensure a proper ground path. This photo also shows what the extreme tape is for. Position a strip under(from the rear) each front seat, directly in front of the AC vent. Remove the included tape and press your light strip directly on to the extreme tape. Make sure you clean the floor really well first with mild soap and water to ensure proper adhesion.

I ran the power wire directly behind the light strip, using the same strip of extreme tape to hold it in place. I then zip tied the blue wire to the seat rail on both sides as a strain relief. Trim any excess wire and connect it to the red wire
coming from the LED control module.

If you have leather or cloth, you can also use the extreme tape to attach the light strip on the bottom of the seat, but make sure you leave enough slack in the black cables attached to LED strips. The seats move forward and backward, so keep that in mind.

Attach your 12v power using a butt splice crimp connector and tuck the excess cables/wires under the center console trim or the seat rail. I also used a zip tie to keep them from flopping around.

Driver side is done exactly the same way but you only have the black LED strip cable to deal with. Don't worry, with the seats in normal use positions, these LED strips are completely hidden.

Once install is done, use a knife to CAREFULLY trim excess black tape from around the light strip for bonus points (not pictured).
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 5

You're going to use the same method as above to route the black cable connecting the LED strips through the main bus channel to the front passenger and driver areas. (Same image as above for reference).

Passenger side will have the 12v power (blue in my case) and the black cable connecting front and back LED strips. Driver side will only be the black LED cable.

Reattach trim.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 13
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 14

This is what your passenger and driver side should look like when finished with the rear install. These are the only two places that any type of wire or cable should be visible when finished.
The trim is so floppy here that it will never put enough pressure on the cable to damage it. If you are worried, just route it through the channel slightly to the rear that the seatbelts use.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 15

Your finished rear install should look a lot like this (trim the tape once you are certain you like the positioning of the LED strip). I noticed the wash out flooring is quite loose and wavy under the seats.
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 16

For your front driver and passenger, it's a little trickier. You're going to use the 3M extreme tape again and attach the light strip to the thin edge behind your dash that faces down. I have yet to find a better mounting method, although this one is a little difficult to use. You'll have to zig zag the LED strip a little to route it around the OBD2 sensor (and a few other little objects).

You'll route both sides behind the trim, down to the main cable channel shown above. The driver side gets routed under the foot rest, which is attached to the trim.

Once you are done, go back and trim up any excess tape to your liking, tuck any loose wires under the trim, and you should have a completely clean install that is weather resistant. The location of the rear seat light strips was dictated by the fact that absolutely nothing sticks to the vinyl seating, so you can't just adhere it to the bottom of the seat. The LED strips are sealed, so shouldn't be damaged when washing out your interior. You'll never need to access the control module, but it's behind the seat if needed. Everything is handled by an app on your cellphone.

Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 20
Ford Bronco Adding interior LED ambient lighting (now with working photos!) 20211103_160326

Absolutely no wires or LEDS are visible from the inside or out, doors on or off - The only visible wires should be 1-2" as it exits under the seats and enters the trim pieces, but you would have to move your seats forward and REALLY be looking for it. Be warned - the black EXTREME tape is PAIN in the butt to work with. You really have to take your time and be patient to keep it from sticking you or anything in a 10 foot radius to the vehicle accidentally.

I'll add a video here shortly to demonstrate it at night. I think I'll be doing video format tutorials as it is a PAIN to try to write this all down.. Feel free to tell me where I lost the plot down in the reply section and I'll clean this tutorial up as needed. Hopefully its enough for people to get started with their planning.

Edit 1: Ok.. the LEDs can be seen with doors off for those under about 5'9". I forgot to crouch. So.. MOSTLY successful. Really depends on how you position them though.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice job. I wish the factory lighting was adjustable in color so I wasn’t tempted to do the same.
These are obviously full RGB plus white and are individually addressable diodes for disco parties in the back. I didn't want to completely ruin my reputation by posting that though, so I kept it Badlands Orange.. I'll probably run blue or purple most of the time. Im a child of the 80s.. I like my retro.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’ve been surprised about the lack of complaints about the dark cave the Bronco is at night. Thought it was just me, but damn it’s dark. I will be doing something similar already have a parts list going. Nice job on your install.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That gave me a case of the nerves thinking about taking things apart and hooking up wires myself. I'll just plug in a set of Christmas lights in the back of the console and string them around the interior. :LOL: :LOL:

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been surprised about the lack of complaints about the dark cave the Bronco is at night. Thought it was just me, but damn it’s dark. I will be doing something similar already have a parts list going. Nice job on your install.
Part of that also has to do with the footwell and ambient lighting being included the High and Lux packages. With many initial builds being FE and ones that were spec'd with all the features it wouldn't stick out as bad.

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great job!

tagged for future reference

Sponsored

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks good. I installed the Govee lights in my Ram by plugging it in the back of the console, running the wires under the seats but attached them to the underside of the seats and not the floor and ran the wires to under the dash and used twist ties and double stick tape. Not splicing cutting, nothing. Took about 15 minutes to do.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you. Very helpful and a upgrade I will be doing.

OP,

Did you consider running LED's on the sport/roll bar? I completely understand the need for floor lighting but I though of doing something for overhead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you. Very helpful and a upgrade I will be doing.

OP,

Did you consider running LED's on the sport/roll bar? I completely understand the need for floor lighting but I though of doing something for overhead.
Much more challenging due to the airbags in the rollbars and no cross beam. I'm working on that solution now for some more lighting up top.

Briley

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Those Govee lights are pretty good. I have them on the back of my tv’s. Way cheaper than the $500+ Phillips set. I already had that car set saved in my cart on Amazon and now I’ve saving this thread if I ever get my Bronco.
Sponsored