Sponsored

Adding Rear Locker (for those that aren't squatching even tho we dream about it)

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
(Obligatory sorry I couldn't find complete/convincing answer to this elsewhere yet/curse you b6g search function)

I'm getting a manual base. (Blend 7/19...)

I didn't want to wait for mansquatch and didn't want to pay for other aspects of trim upgrades to gain rear locker.

Started with a 58k (manual) badlands and ended up with 31k base so I keep telling myself it will be the more fun, more personal, and ~equally capable route well before I burn thru 27k savings in aftermarket.

Will come with aux switches and at some point will be fitting viair compressor setup permanently onboard.

So all that leaves me wondering what is best (researched) route to adding rear locker.

1) Does anyone know of any aftermarket air lockers already available would be directly compatible with the rear 4.46 open diff?

2) Does anyone know if factory e locker is available (yet) for the 4.46 open diff as a standalone component (without having to buy the entire axle) and want to speculate how much that might cost in parts alone and hours to install (average wrench monkey)?

God bless you in advance.
Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
(Obligatory sorry I couldn't find complete/convincing answer to this elsewhere yet/curse you b6g search function)

I didn't want to wait for mansquatch and didn't want to pay for other aspects of trim upgrades to gain rear locker.

Started with a 58k (manual) badlands and ended up with 31k base so I keep telling myself it will be the more fun, more personal, and ~equally capable route well before I burn thru 27k savings in aftermarket.

Will come with aux switches and at some point will be fitting viair compressor setup permanently onboard.

So all that leaves me wondering what is best (researched) route to adding rear locker.

1) Does anyone know of any aftermarket air lockers already available would be directly compatible with the rear 4.46 open diff?

2) Does anyone know if factory e locker is available (yet) for the 4.46 open diff as a standalone component (without having to buy the entire axle) and want to speculate how much that might cost in parts alone and hours to install (average wrench monkey)?

Once someone figures out the spline count of our M220 rear axle this should work just fine:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/arb/air...VUhF3TO3RQmAbImzAyf0tKrJII2H7G3MaAouzEALw_wcB

Benefit of an air locker being on demand 2HI/4HI/4LOW and they’re the strongest type of selectable locker available. Also, their compressors are a very handy thing to have when airing up/airing down. Especially the dual compressor.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ARB has a locker available for the Wrangler M220. It's probably the same? I've found ARB to be pretty responsive to emails so you could reach out to them. Looks like it's $999 retail. You'll need the installation kit which is usually a couple hundred. I believe it cost me $1500 to lock my Xterra but that also included the front locker and a regear so I don't have an apples to apples for you.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What's wrong with ordering a Black Diamond, with rear locker and all of the skid plates, bumpers, and rock rails for 38k? Not sure how you got a Badlands up to 58k.

Looks like there are locker choices for the M220 rear axle.

ARB Locker

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What's wrong with ordering a Black Diamond, with rear locker and all of the skid plates, bumpers, and rock rails for 38k? Not sure how you got a Badlands up to 58k.

Looks like there are locker choices for the M220 rear axle.

ARB Locker
NOTHING. Actually think 58k was an early B&P number that was probably flawed...and yes, BD is probably trim I should have done before I got VIN...thanks for link...ignoring buyers remorse and going back to my 27k mod budget fantasy now 😉

Sponsored

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have 27k to play with, you should be the first person to swap in some Dynatrac 60's with ARB's, RCV shafts, and 5.13 gears, setup with front and rear 4 link and ORI shocks, and 42's.
Might have to trim fenders a bit....
(You'd still have around $15k for the rest of the shit you want) 😉

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you have 27k to play with, you should be the first person to swap in some Dynatrac 60's with ARB's, RCV shafts, and 5.13 gears, setup with front and rear 4 link and ORI shocks, and 42's.
Might have to trim fenders a bit....
(You'd still have around $15k for the rest of the shit you want) 😉
Don't do that; I am the jerk that spends money beyond his skills (see: tools, guns, several devices in the kitchen) because I think it will compensate but tends to just get me in trouble.

Now, tell me about portal hubs...

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't do that; I am the jerk that spends money beyond his skills (see: tools, guns, several devices in the kitchen) because I think it will compensate but tends to just get me in trouble.

If you have portals on your mind, Mog axles are probably the cheapest way to go, but I bet somebody can hook you up with some portal hub adapters for the Dynatracs, or maybe those sweet Spiderco Spider 9's that are high clearance BEEF.
Dang, I just gave meself a stiffy..... lol

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I know where there is a set of Mog portals with the hubs already converted to 5 on 5.5 for $4k. A friend grabbed them up and then didn't use them. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm, wonder if someone will eventually come out with a portal hub conversion for the IFS front end using Hummer hubs. Jesse Haines uses Hummer portals on his straight axle portals. You could always buy a set of those. ;)

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Other then the M190 front end, it is a thought to do what you've done. The base non-Squatch is pretty cheap. Get aftermarket lift with new coilovers, think that is already out there, locker for the rear (already out there, same rear end as a Wrangler), the rims and tires you want. Get aftermarket bumpers, rock rails and skid plates, already out there or will be very soon. Have a well set up custom Bronco while everyone else drives around in stockers.

I have yet to find any info on axle shaft sizes for the M190 and M210 front diffs. Personally, I don't have a problem with the ring gear size of the M190, but still wonder about the axles. Sure, not as strong as the M210, but likely strong enough for what we'll do. I assume RCV will be working on this eventually. I see that all of the ring gear sizes, for M190, M210, and M220 are already in the parts catalog, as well as complete axles assemblies.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Once someone figures out the spline count of our M220 rear axle this should work just fine:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/arb/air...VUhF3TO3RQmAbImzAyf0tKrJII2H7G3MaAouzEALw_wcB

Benefit of an air locker being on demand 2HI/4HI/4LOW and they’re the strongest type of selectable locker available. Also, their compressors are a very handy thing to have when airing up/airing down. Especially the dual compressor.
Just got this from ARB:

We appreciate your interest in our products.

We have just confirmed the Base Bronco rear M220 is a 32 spline unit and will allow fitment of our RD245 Air Locker.

The only added part you may need is a manifold if you use one of our twin air compressors.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just got this from ARB:

We have just confirmed the Base Bronco rear M220 is a 32 spline unit and will allow fitment of our RD245 Air Locker.

The only added part you may need is a manifold if you use one of our twin air compressors.
That's badass and will help a lot of people.

RSalami

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

based on my jeep experience is would %1000 reccomend air lockers over e lockers due to engagment issues I have today with the newer Eaton designs. Also it's a dana 44 rear axle IDK if that's for all models but ARB, Eaton, Ox, Yukon all have lockers already for it Albeit I it is a 32 splines so that changes the carrier but im sure they have it. ARB would be my pick, it's worth the air lines.

RSalami

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
32 spline unit
Holy Shot 32 splines?! They beat jeep more than ppl know! The stock jeep is 27 splines MUCH WEAKER that it sounds and even rubicon is 30 splines. 32 splines is ready for 37 inch tires!!! Were are on Steel not even Chromoly. TIme to dump jeep.

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got this from ARB:

Thanks for sharing!

I'm just noticing this thread as I contemplate a base with switches over my anticipated BaseManSquatch. I plan on having onboard air and consider front and rear lockers essential for what I plan to do and to help compensate for lack of sta-bar disco (until after market solves) when it comes to lifting wires.

I recently attended the Off-Roadeo in Nevada and while the e-lockers worked phenomenally well I ended up with an ABS sensor issue that led to disabled front locker and sta-bar disco towards the end of the day. They explained the vehicles had only been used for off-road use for extended periods every day with little to no on-road driving which can supposedly cause issues with the sensor.

Nonetheless it does make me reconsider the base with air lockers route, at that I'd just be losing the 210 which, similar to @goatman, I'm just not sure I even need, and the 4.7 gearing which I would prefer off-road but would also enjoy the slightly better fuel economy on-road with the 4.46.

I could perhaps see 37s in the future but doubtful I'd go bigger. Hoping the updated B&P helps push me further to either side – I just want to drive my damn bronco.
Sponsored