Sponsored

Adding Rear Locker (for those that aren't squatching even tho we dream about it)

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thanks for sharing!

I'm just noticing this thread as I contemplate a base with switches over my anticipated BaseManSquatch. I plan on having onboard air and consider front and rear lockers essential for what I plan to do and to help compensate for lack of sta-bar disco (until after market solves) when it comes to lifting wires.

I recently attended the Off-Roadeo in Nevada and while the e-lockers worked phenomenally well I ended up with an ABS sensor issue that led to disabled front locker and sta-bar disco towards the end of the day. They explained the vehicles had only been used for off-road use for extended periods every day with little to no on-road driving which can supposedly cause issues with the sensor.

Nonetheless it does make me reconsider the base with air lockers route, at that I'd just be losing the 210 which, similar to @goatman, I'm just not sure I even need, and the 4.7 gearing which I would prefer off-road but would also enjoy the slightly better fuel economy on-road with the 4.46.

I could perhaps see 37s in the future but doubtful I'd go bigger. Hoping the updated B&P helps push me further to either side – I just want to drive my damn bronco.

Well, since you mentioned me, I absolutely won't buy a Bronco without the M210 front end. I want the steel M210, and not the aluminum M190. I am going back and forth between a basesquatch and a Badlands without Sasquatch. Recently I priced out getting a base base and adding gears and lockers, compared to getting a Sasquatch or Badlands, and it did not pencil out. I calculated using the price for a complete M210 center section which comes with gears and the locker. We don't know yet how reliable it is to run 37's on the M190 front end, but there is a reason that Ford went with the M210 when using 35's.

BTW, at the Nevada Off Roadeo, we talked about the sensor problem. When that has happened they told me all they did to fix it was to drive it out on the highway and it all reset. No repairs had been done yet. Also, if it's a chronic problem, Ford is very likely to come out with a fix for it.

ARB lockers have their share of problems as well. The harness that comes with the lockers won't let you turn on the front locker unless the rear locker is already turned on, something Ford specifically did not do because of input from real off roaders. ARB solenoids are prone to go out, most people with ARB's (that know to do it) carry spare solenoids. The air seals inside the diff carrier also can go out. This isn't as big a problem as it used to be, after ARB redesigned the seals a number of years ago, but it still happens. I guess what I'm saying is that if reliability is a big concern for you, I'm not sure ARB air lockers would get you what you want.

Lots of things to consider here. Don't know the right answer. I've decided I'm going with factory gears and lockers.
Sponsored

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, since you mentioned me, I absolutely won't buy a Bronco without the M210 front end. I want the steel M210, and not the aluminum M190. I am going back and forth between a basesquatch and a Badlands without Sasquatch. Recently I priced out getting a base base and adding gears and lockers, compared to getting a Sasquatch or Badlands, and it did not pencil out. I calculated using the price for a complete M210 center section which comes with gears and the locker. We don't know yet how reliable it is to run 37's on the M190 front end, but there is a reason that Ford went with the M210 when using 35's.

BTW, at the Nevada Off Roadeo, we talked about the sensor problem. When that has happened they told me all they did to fix it was to drive it out on the highway and it all reset. No repairs had been done yet. Also, if it's a chronic problem, Ford is very likely to come out with a fix for it.

ARB lockers have their share of problems as well. The harness that comes with the lockers won't let you turn on the front locker unless the rear locker is already turned on, something Ford specifically did not do because of input from real off roaders. ARB solenoids are prone to go out, most people with ARB's (that know to do it) carry spare solenoids. The air seals inside the diff carrier also can go out. This isn't as big a problem as it used to be, after ARB redesigned the seals a number of years ago, but it still happens. I guess what I'm saying is that if reliability is a big concern for you, I'm not sure ARB air lockers would get you what you want.

Lots of things to consider here. Don't know the right answer. I've decided I'm going with factory gears and lockers.
Thanks for the write up, and yeah that’s all they told me at the off-roadeo regarding resetting the sensor. I’m not looking for bullet proof solutions but the hiccup did make me think a bit more.

I’m hovering between a base base, basequatch, and standard badlands – the 28.5k entry level 2 door is super appealing to me.

DebbieEF

Black Diamond
First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang and F250 SD truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just got this from ARB:

We appreciate your interest in our products.

We have just confirmed the Base Bronco rear M220 is a 32 spline unit and will allow fitment of our RD245 Air Locker.

The only added part you may need is a manifold if you use one of our twin air compressors.
Fabulous! Thank you for starting this post and adding to it, Ben.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m hovering between a base base, basequatch, and standard badlands – the 28.5k entry level 2 door is super appealing to me.
Yep, but it won't stay that way. 😁

Pay me now, or pay me later. That's what we're all up against. And, until we get our VIN, the debate goes on. 😊

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 F150 4x4 SB, 16 f150, 15 powerstroke,94 Honda A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just got this from ARB:

We appreciate your interest in our products.

We have just confirmed the Base Bronco rear M220 is a 32 spline unit and will allow fitment of our RD245 Air Locker.

The only added part you may need is a manifold if you use one of our twin air compressors.
You and I have the same bronco and it seems that we have the same plan. Wanted to say thanks for posting this particular post as I will be doing this ASAP...

Sponsored

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Still confused. If I switch to an OBX and get this option the pick would we have front and rear lockers?

9F2DD2D7-76BE-42E6-8223-EC32A369D250.png

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still confused. If I switch to an OBX and get this option the pick would we have front and rear lockers?

Ford Bronco Adding Rear Locker (for those that aren't squatching even tho we dream about it) 9F2DD2D7-76BE-42E6-8223-EC32A369D250
this option switches the vehicle from 2H to 4H automatically. it does not lock either the front or rear diff.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, without squatch you can only get the rear locker.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

9F2DD2D7-76BE-42E6-8223-EC32A369D250.png
Adding this also forces the rear locker option on an OBX, to get both front and rear in an OBX you have to get the Sasquatch package, which will give both lockers and force the above auto transfer case.

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You and I have the same bronco and it seems that we have the same plan. Wanted to say thanks for posting this particular post as I will be doing this ASAP...
Sure thing, twin air compressor ordered today from Northridge -10% off with their holiday code...will post self-install journey soon...locker order tbd...that part will be done by Dan's driveline here in LV...

Sponsored

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been following here and wish to ask if this locker for the rear will fit 2.3L 2door with auto and 3.73 open diff? :confused:

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been following here and wish to ask if this locker for the rear will fit 2.3L 2door with auto and 3.73 open diff? :confused:
I might be wrong but an open differential is welded and as such it wont be a bolt on mod to add a locker.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I might be wrong but an open differential is welded and as such it wont be a bolt on mod to add a locker.
Ok then I would need to change the entire rear axle with locker in it?

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
no just the gears in the pumpkin

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
no just the gears in the pumpkin
OH!!! was frightened for a moment. Thanks. If I understand I need new gears as well as a locker then?
Sponsored