Sponsored

Adding the 5th prong to the 4 prong trailer connector for surge brake disengaging

Ph2426

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We have a 2022 Bronco Outerbanks and I am looking to tow a trailer with surge brakes. I had a hitch added with a 4 prong but I need the 5th wire for the surge brakes. Is there an easy way to do this? I called the company that added the hitch and they said it was not easy at all and would need to include adding a brake controller etc. I think I just need to disengage the surge brakes when in reverse. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you all
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ph2426

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am sorry I dont know. They are factory,

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have same scenario with a boat with surge brakes when in reverse, I purchased this:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage...ng-harness-kit-for-2021-2023-ford-bronco.html
Instead of wiring up a reverse light, I used the Positive from this kit to plug into the 5th reverse pin on my 5 pin adapter. Sounds like you had someone else install your hitch wiring, I would imagine they could figure out how to connect this, pretty easy. All you need is an addition positive 12V on one wire when you go in reverse to go along with your existing 4 pin connector. It gets its feed from the tail lights. Plug and play on the tail lights.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fundamentally that 5th pin need to receive the reverse signal, so when you put the Bronco in reverse, voltage gets sent down that 5th pin to the surge break solenoid to disable it and let your trailer move in reverse.

You can buy the Curt 57187, but the blue wire on that kit needs to be connected to the reverse signal. How exactly you do the depends on if you have the LED taillights or the halogen taillights (which is why I was asking the question).

Seems like @Bearcat1 used at lighting kit to reach that reverse light signal (which is genius, by the way).

OP
OP

Ph2426

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
thank you both for being much smarter than me!!! I am also sorry I dont know if my rear lights are LED or hallogen. I thought the outerbanks had LED but im not sure

OP
OP

Ph2426

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have same scenario with a boat with surge brakes when in reverse, I purchased this:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage...ng-harness-kit-for-2021-2023-ford-bronco.html
Instead of wiring up a reverse light, I used the Positive from this kit to plug into the 5th reverse pin on my 5 pin adapter. Sounds like you had someone else install your hitch wiring, I would imagine they could figure out how to connect this, pretty easy. All you need is an addition positive 12V on one wire when you go in reverse to go along with your existing 4 pin connector. It gets its feed from the tail lights. Plug and play on the tail lights.

This is awesome. Thank you. If I purchase this do I plug this into the existing rear light and then run the wire to the tow hitch wiring?

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands