Sponsored

Adding Trail Turn with manual transmission in aftermarket?

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Disconnecting is never the issue. It's reconnecting and you would be surprised how much of a pita that can be sometimes.
I've done it all, manually removed the bolts and zip tied everything out of the way, JKS Quick disconnects, Currie Antirock, and finally settled on the following air actuated setup from Off Road Only.
Jeep TJ Sway Bar SwayLOC For 97-06 Wrangler TJ OffRoadOnly - OffRoadOnly

In Extreme rock crawling, with front and rear full width axles It's actually a big difference to be totally disconnected, vs having connected swaybars with longer links. When disconnected fully, the body will follow the rear axle. When you have both the front and rear sway bars connected, but with longer links to allow for articulation, the body will stay neutral even with the axles going in opposite directions.
Sponsored

Crimpcap

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y, Honda G1 Insight
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, I got what you were trying to say, electronic ebrake, but there's still a physical connection so if someone really wanted to bypass the electrics and just hook up dual handbrakes they could and would probably be easier.
I could see this being the down and dirty way to add it. 2 rocker switches wired into the Left and Right park brake motors. Using diodes so not to back feed voltage into the normal park brake circuit.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every video showing trail turn assist is not on a trail, it’s on sand in open desert. I wonder how manageable it will actually be as a “trail turn.”
Go back to the videos when the Bronco was wearing cammo. A two door did a 90 degree turn on a muddy trail.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Go back to the videos when the Bronco was wearing cammo. A two door did a 90 degree turn on a muddy trail.
I didn't see that, thanks!

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could see this being the down and dirty way to add it. 2 rocker switches wired into the Left and Right park brake motors. Using diodes so not to back feed voltage into the normal park brake circuit.
One rocker switch.... Momentary/Off/Momentary (it springs back to the center/off position when you're not touching it) - Mounted so that you'd push the toggle either Left or Right....this would work!!!!!

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Three words, Atlas transfer case. You are able to put the front or rear into neutral making it possible to do front or rear digs!!! 😎

One of the new Lite Brite videos they are repairing their atlas transfer case and they are close to releasing a kit for stock jeeps! This way you don't have to modify the center console area. Hopefully they do the same for the Bronco!

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Three words, Atlas transfer case. You are able to put the front or rear into neutral making it possible to do front or rear digs!!! 😎

One of the new Lite Brite videos they are repairing their atlas transfer case and they are close to releasing a kit for stock jeeps! This way you don't have to modify the center console area. Hopefully they do the same for the Bronco!
Advance Adapters already has an Atlas for a JK
https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...eed-transfer-cases-2007-11-jeep-jk-wranglers/
A JL is probably not too far behind.
I had an Atlas in my TJ and while you could do a front dig, It did not always prevent the rear from moving.
Rear Cutting brakes are more precise, Now the Cat's Meow was when I finally had both. That stuff is necessary in Rock Crawling Competitions to avoid getting a point for reversing direction. It's also money when side crawling to help reduce COG.

Swapping to an Atlas will most likely require 2 new driveshafts.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Advance Adapters already has an Atlas for a JK
https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...eed-transfer-cases-2007-11-jeep-jk-wranglers/
A JL is probably not too far behind.
I had an Atlas in my TJ and while you could do a front dig, It did not always prevent the rear from moving.
Rear Cutting brakes are more precise, Now the Cat's Meow was when I finally had both. That stuff is necessary in Rock Crawling Competitions to avoid getting a point for reversing direction. It's also money when side crawling to help reduce COG.

Swapping to an Atlas will most likely require 2 new driveshafts.
So, does a cutting brake lock both rear wheel or just L or R wheel? I was thinking using light pressure on the brake peddle to keep rear/front tires locked since they have no power going to them. Kinda like a power brake??? You seem very knowledgeable on hard core rock crawling builds! Eventually, I would like to have the "Mischief Maker" of the Bronco world...
Ford Bronco Adding Trail Turn with manual transmission in aftermarket? unnamed

Key word, like, maybe one day... 😎

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I used to Rock Crawl in the RC Rocs competitions at Rausch Creek. I was in Class II. We also used to do 4 man teams Club competitions on the Comp Course. I've been out of the game for a couple of years due to health reasons but the Bronco kind of woke me up and has me excited to get back into off-roading.
Check out my Showcase vehicles. I have my old Jeep build in there.

Cutting brakes only do 1 at a time. You lock the inside rear, to allow the vehicle to spin around that point with the other 3 tires all rotating. If you place the rear inside tire against a large enough rock, put the rear axle in neutral and do a front dig, you can accomplish the same thing. But the cutting brakes make it easier and helps in situations where you don't have something to hold the tire.

Outside of competition, it is a nice way to avoid body damage like on a narrow trail with a tight turn between some trees or rocks too tall to climb. There is also a trail in Texas that claims one turn can only be done in reverse. The trail Turn Assist or a cutting brake might make that possible going forward but I'd have to see it to evaluate that.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's in the ElectroWeb

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For Rock Crawling, it can be extremely beneficial. Sometimes doing a 2-6 point turn isn't possible because other rocks are in your way. Pivoting around a rock, can help you line up the rest of the trail in the above situation.

An additional benefit of cutting brakes is to help squat the inside suspension on the upper hill side when side crawling. This is done to reduce the chance of a side roll when at a steep angle.
Unfortunately it looks like the Ford System is limited to turning so this second advantage will be not be possible.
Interesting! Thanks for the insight.
Sponsored