Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is the Advanced 4WD a constraint? Is it worth it to add to my order?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Saw a chart that said it is. But idk how true that is. Also I guess just depends in the area you live. If you get a lot of snow/ice I would recommend it. Also if you tend to travel long road trips I would get it as well as you never know when you get stuck in a mini cell storm lol. It's the reason I have it mostly for bad weather.

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would say if you live in a snowy area, then it’s worth it..from what I’ve read. Essentially the benefit is you can just put it in 4a during snow fall, instead of shifting manually between areas of dryness/iciness

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Saw a chart that said it is. But idk how true that is. Also I guess just depends in the area you live. If you get a lot of snow/ice I would recommend it. Also if you tend to travel long road trips I would get it as well as you never know when you get stuck in a mini cell storm lol. It's the reason I have it mostly for bad weather.
Makes since. I’ll have to find the constraint chart. I know I saw one, but I can’t find it.

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would say if you live in a snowy area, then it’s worth it..from what I’ve read. Essentially the benefit is you can just put it in 4a during snow fall, instead of shifting manually between areas of dryness/iciness
I see. Thank you.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have it on my OBX, and it is worth it. All my other 4x4 vehicles had been basic 4wd, where the vehicle is in 2wd as default. When you want 4wd, you shift it, but its not for use on dry pavement. In fact, in my experience, shiftable 4wd can be dangerous in certain ice conditions, because the wheel binding on road can throw the vehicle out of traction and cause sliding or abrupt traction issues. On ice, you want smooth shifting. This is why awd vehicles, and their continuous computer traction adjustment, sometimes hold the road better in certain conditions than a primitive 4wd system.

The Advanced 4wd, and its upgraded transfer case, actually gives you the option for full-time awd (all wheel drive) and you can leave it on all the time, or during mixed weather conditions, dry or wet. Also, the Advanced transfer case works more fully with Bronco computer to provide additional traction capabilities. I believe It is required when ordering the locking differential and the accompanying 4.27 axles, which i have on my OBX. Rear locker is enough for me, didnt need or want the Sasquatch

I'm sure other writers can add more. I have it. I like it. I recommend it. And by the way, in true winter conditions, most AT, MT tires, great in derp snow, will slip on ice. We always used winter studded tires, or compound tires like X-Ice or Blizzak. All it took was one spinout in Lake Placid on black ice in a 4wd Escape to say, "always Winter Tires."

20220118_125300.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There are some great threads on Bronco6G about Ford's 4A system, how it operates and its capabilities.

If you haven't already, use the search function for "4A" in thread titles and see how the system performs. Then you can make an informed decision if 4A is a must-have on your order sheet or not.

@lakesinai Check out the threads on it as well here on B6g. Good stuff at your fingertips

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have it on my OBX, and it is worth it. All my other 4x4 vehicles had been basic 4wd, where the vehicle is in 2wd as default. When you want 4wd, you shift it, but its not for use on dry pavement. In fact, in my experience, shiftable 4wd can be dangerous in certain ice conditions, because the wheel binding on road can throw the vehicle out of traction and cause sliding or abrupt traction issues. On ice, you want smooth shifting. This is why awd vehicles, and their continuous computer traction adjustment, sometimes hold the road better in certain conditions than a primitive 4wd system.

The Advanced 4wd, and its upgraded transfer case, actually gives you the option for full-time awd (all wheel drive) and you can leave it on all the time, or during mixed weather conditions, dry or wet. Also, the Advanced transfer case works more fully with Bronco computer to provide additional traction capabilities. I believe It is required when ordering the locking differential and the accompanying 4.27 axles, which i have on my OBX. Rear locker is enough for me, didnt need or want the Sasquatch

I'm sure other writers can add more. I have it. I like it. I recommend it. And by the way, in true winter conditions, most AT, MT tires, great in derp snow, will slip on ice. We always used winter studded tires, or compound tires like X-Ice or Blizzak. All it took was one spinout in Lake Placid on black ice in a 4wd Escape to say, "always Winter Tires."

Ford Bronco Advanced 4WD on constraint? 20220118_125300
It does snow where I am, but not a ton anymore. I do like the idea of full time 4WD though.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have heard that it is. Which is disappointing. It's one thing I'm not willing to bend on.
I agree, that and the Hard Top and each person has their choices. If you want a feature, "constraint" just might mean a longer wait!

Sponsored
OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, if I don’t have 4A, can I drive on the highway when it snows with 4L or 4H? Or only 2WD.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
4A is absolutely worth it. The only upgrades I made to my Bronco (besides Aux switches) were to the drive train and adding 4A is a no-brainer and one of the single most important things you can do to make your Bronco an every day daily driver that will handle the elements it faces.

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, if I don’t have 4A, can I drive on the highway when it snows with 4L or 4H? Or only 2WD.
It depends on the conditions of the highway. If it's mostly dry you wouldn't want to have it in 4 anything, but if there's a decent amount of slip you'd want 4H. 4L probably isn't something you'd use on any highway conditions unless there was significant unplowed snow you couldn't get through in 4H.

4A was non-negotiable for me since in CO the highway conditions change at the drop of a hat and manually fiddling with the transfer case on Vail pass after it'd been closed for 2 hours one night in March was the last straw for me. Highway patrol was leading people down 70 after it opened and it was either keep speed - about 45/50 mph when dry- with the pack in 2WD but then panic because we'd hit another stretch of ice pack and I couldn't shift into 4wd going faster than 25, or keep it in 4H and not got faster than 40 because my Xterra couldn't be driven at highway speeds in 4H.

Newer vehicles don't have the same speed constraints for transmission shifts but it's not something I want to be concerned with in any new ride I buy.

Last edited:

2050Broncoorsomething

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It didnt cause me any issues to have it on mine. But it was the only thing I added to the build.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is a constraint, BUT there are other much more impactful constraints.

My view differs from many of the other people on this thread though.

If you live down south, don't see much snow, and aren't trying to optimize for crazy off-roading... I don't think there is any real value in adding it. For most people who will be driving their Bronco on a daily basis with the occasional off-road trip, it is not necessary at all.

If you do live where it snows, the Advanced 4x4 system makes a little more sense. 4A acts like an all-wheel drive system, and adds a lot of flexibility when driving the Bronco when road conditions are mixed. But if you don't live in that type of snowy environment... I personally think the $795 could be better spent elsewhere.
Sponsored