Sponsored

Advanced 4x4 automatic on demand engagement price?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
“jargon seems duplicative.”

Exactly this, most of the technology is not new it’s just rebranded for a new generation.

The GOAT modes are little more than modulating throttle input and changing the transmission to hold gears longer. Experience will put an off-roader at a great advantage over these minute changes.
Well it saved me friggen $6K to research and know the difference!

Money well spent on a dual carb setup on the ol 235 inline 6 :)
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I really like the idea of being able to be in "awd" when road conditions are poor and not have to worry about burning up any diffs or xfer cases. When it is raining.... XJ goes into "Full Time" 4 wheel drive. When I go off the road, or in alot of snow... it is "Part Time" 4 wheel drive.

Sounds like with the Bronco, the 4A is as close to this as I can get, but unlike the XJ that actually already has the front and back powered, the Bronco will have to "respond" and that delay does worry me a bit.

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I do agree that the “advanced” term is just marketing. It is essentially a more capable transfer case with one more “AWD” setting and lower gearing for 4L.

As for each brands proprietary systems to manage power transfer and brake control, I don’t know anything. What I do know, is I really like how Ford has “advanced” transfer cases with so many options. Add GOAT modes throttle control, trail assist, and all the other techno mumbo jumbo, you have so many different variations of control over all of the wheels.
All the “advanced” and “other techno mumbo jumbo” sounds like more chances for something to go wrong.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds like with the Bronco, the 4A is as close to this as I can get, but unlike the XJ that actually already has the front and back powered, the Bronco will have to "respond" and that delay does worry me a bit.
Did your XJ have the NP242 aka Selec-Trac?

The beauty of an electronically-controlled transfer case is that it can do whatever the designer wants it to do. So it could default to 50/50 power at all times, or 100 rear at all times, or whatever you want. There's no guarantee that it will have to slip and respond like the old Haldex systems used on crossovers way back when.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did your XJ have the NP242 aka Selec-Trac?
Yup... I hate the names though of "Part Time" and "Full Time". I mean, how the hell do they know how often I want to be in 4x4 :)

But seriously.. it just sounds ass-backwards to me. When I go off road I want "Full" but you actually set it to "Part". Who thought of those stupid names!

Sponsored

Rob_Broncowski

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX, Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will likely be getting the "on demand" 4wd option for my wife as well. Has anybody added this feature on another Ford model who can provide a price for comparison? Like the thread starter, I'm trying to get a ballpark cost number. Are we talking $500....$1000....$1500?

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in a part of Texas that sees good snow maybe once every 2-3 years, so I couldn't care less about the 4A aspect of it. But it comes with a lower ratio so that may make it worth it depending on price

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

..... But it comes with a lower ratio so that may make it worth it depending on price
Is this 'Advanced/Auto 4' option what bumps the (auto trans) ratio from 3.73 to 4.27 on some models?

And is this the only way to have 'sometimes' 4wd for road use, or is there another mode to have an 'unlocked' 4wd..... meaning having a 4wd (or awd)mode for snowy roads where it may be dry for some distance, and snowy/slippery on other sections. Many 4wd settings are not recommended for dry pavement. That's tough when we may be on partially snow/ice covered roads for short distances.

I get the notion the 'Advanced 4' may be highly recommended for wet/slippery winter highway use.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this 'Advanced/Auto 4' option what bumps the (auto trans) ratio from 3.73 to 4.27 on some models?

And is this the only way to have 'sometimes' 4wd for road use, or is there another mode to have an 'unlocked' 4wd..... meaning having a 4wd (or awd)mode for snowy roads where it may be dry for some distance, and snowy/slippery on other sections. Many 4wd settings are not recommended for dry pavement. That's tough when we may be on partially snow/ice covered roads for short distances.

I get the notion the 'Advanced 4' may be highly recommended for wet/slippery winter highway use.
If you have the Auto 4wd you’ll still have 4lo and 4hi settings available.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personal questions i've had are:
  • How much does Badlands increase the off-road potential of the Bronco?
  • The one thing I like is the lower range of the "advanced" x-fer case, but with the manual granny gear, it's not a big deal.
  • Will I be SOL as a noob in off-roading without the advanced 4x4?
  • I'm pretty much still a NOOB at offroading also, but I do have some time behind the wheel. See that Yellow Bronco in my profile pic??? 33" AT's , open diffs at both ends, "dumb" x-fer case , old V8 converted to Explorer EFI, manual trans with granny gear ...... you would be amazed at how far that set up will take you. Talk about low tech, I cant think of anything modern to compare it to.
  • Anti-lock brakes??? Hell, I had to add power brakes (and steering)!!! LOL
  • Is the $6K upgrade to Badlands really a no-brainer but my limited understanding of off-road requirements and cheapness will get me stuck in Black Diamond watching everybody else drive up mountains?????
  • That set up you have listed below is freaking CHOICE !!!!
  • Probably the best comment is all of this non-sense is the one regarding common sense. If you have a mind for the all things physics related.... action/re-action.... traction, momentum, point loads, etc etc a few days wheeling will have you in better shape than the driving modes. The area the electronics may excel at though is reaction time, as in braking traction control and automatic down hill speed control. That stuff may be nice if you are out there driving on the razors edge, but as a noob, just getting yourself in those position, you'd be so puckered up you may puke after the obstacle.

Full disclosure: The Bronco i'm looking at currently is:
2-door
MT/2.3
Black Diamond
210 front axle
Front locker

I'm a big fan of the granny geared manual trans, but I have no real experience in a modern rig with an auto to prove against it. I did have a standard tranny the first few times I wheeled , before I swapped in the NP435 with the granny gear. As stated, from that experience, this is why it just BLOWS MY MIND that they do not offer the "CONSUMATE" offroad tranny with the "CONSUMATE" offroad suspension and tire package. I'm telling you, when I dwell on it, my mind is all "DOES NOT COMPUTE !" .... "ERROR".....

Regarding my 69 mods:
EFI ... kept the engine running smoothly at ANY angle.... most importanly when you are STEEPLY nose up or nose down.
Granny gear (and low transfer engaged).... slow and steady as she goes, you could get out and walk beside her, slowly. So nice to just creep over an obstacle, just feather the clutch and maybe a bit of gas.
33's and 2.5" of lift ....clearance
Next mods would have been traction adders (lockers) of some type, instead she's getting restored and probably won't see much offroad anymore.

The point is, the new Bronco will come with all of this stuff (and more!) or it can be optioned in.
A Black Diamond set up as you described (get the front locker too) or Squatched will be a formidable offroader.... and with a few trips of experience, no goat mode wizardry will be needed.

Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, the "Advanced" 4x4 is the only way to get the automatic 4x4. Like I said though, I don't really care about the truck shifting into 4x4 for me, I just like it because it's a lower ratio... If I shift into 4 low, I want it to be 4 LOW

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd say "NO".
I do not know the exact reasons they use higher gears on the auto, but I suspect it may be the torque multiplication factor of the auto trans torque convertor, assuming they still use them in a modern auto.

auto4 use in the real world :
My F250 was phenominal in the winter even in 2wd, except at stop lights with hard pack IF you were in 2WD....it would just want to spin and gather speed soo slowly. I would shift into 4wd when I got stopped at a light, then switch back after i got moving.
Me switching in and out of 4wd as needed, that is what the Auto4 does. Senses the spin, engages the fronts and away you go.... then it slips back into 2wd.
I'm unsure how/if A4 deals with the auto hubs.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is key and is why you want Advanced. And no there is not another way to accomplish using Awd/4wd on roads that alternate between dry and slick. Also the Advanced has no impact on the part-time 4wd high and low.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks guys.
Checked the F-150 owners manual which provided more info:

>>>Using the 2-Speed Automatic 4WD System
This system includes an electronically controlled transfer case with a high capacity clutch. The system is interactive with the road, continually monitoring and adjusting power delivery to the front and rear wheels to optimize traction.

4A (4X4 AUTO)
Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. 4A tuning varies based on selected Drive Mode See Drive Control . 4A in Normal and Sport is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, including, dry road surfaces. 4A in Snow/Wet is appropriate for slippery on-road conditions such as snow and ice covered roads.
Note: The AdvanceTrac system has the ability to take over control of the transfer case clutch in 4A mode and disable it during driving maneuvers when necessary.
<<<<

The 2020 Ranger owners manual does not mention the 4A mode.

The 4A (if same as the F-150) would be a nice addition to the Bronco for winter use.
However it does not specify if the system can adjust the power balance between front/rear wheels, just that "continually ..... adjusting power delivery to the front and rear wheels to optimize traction". Wonder how it does that? throttle control? brake control?

The mentioned AdvanceTrac does this:
"..... the technology will induce the appropriate amount of brake pressure to stabilize the vehicle. The pressure is applied to one or more wheels and will significantly slow down the engine power to keep the driver on the intended path. "

I'll be watching this page for the upcoming Bronco owners manual:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html

Jotica

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I find it disappointing that the 4A option (what i understand to be AWD like Subaru) is an add-on...
Probably also requires the 2.7L engine too... living in Wisconsin I feel that an AWD capable vehicle is almost a must.

I am dying to build my Bronco, but the more i see i have to add-on to the vehicle, the more i think its just going to stay a dream....

PS: first post on the forum, but great job to all for all the information, discussion and help! This is s great forum!
Sponsored