Sponsored

Advanced 4x4 automatic on demand engagement price?

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I find it disappointing that the 4A option (what i understand to be AWD like Subaru) is an add-on...
Probably also requires the 2.7L engine too... living in Wisconsin I feel that an AWD capable vehicle is almost a must.

I am dying to build my Bronco, but the more i see i have to add-on to the vehicle, the more i think its just going to stay a dream....

PS: first post on the forum, but great job to all for all the information, discussion and help! This is s great forum!
it's not an add-on for the BADLANDS and does not required the 2.7L engine.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not sure why people are saying that the Advanced Auto 4X4 T/C is only available with the 2.7? I read the data sheets to say it is an option on the bottom 4 trims, and standard on the top three, regardless of engine.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm still learning about the Advanced 4x4 option and if anyone else wants to chime in I'll listen. On build and price it is about $800.

If it is indeed similar to an AWD, and/or also braking the slipping wheel while off-roading to force power to the opposite wheel, then it sounds like a good idea to me. For example, I saw a Jeep rock crawling and when one of its wheels went in the air, it spun then stopped and presumably sent power to the other wheel that had traction. This sounds incredulity useful as I won't have differential lockers. Can someone comment on this? Thanks.

Edit: it seems like this person is talking about the same system though I could be mistaken. The knob looks like all the other f-150 4A selectors though so I think this applies to us.

Last edited:

butler.bc

Big Bend
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
"On build and price it is about $800."

It depends on the model you start with. I added it to my 4-door Big Bend build, and it was $5,400+ change after you add in the rest of the changes that go with it.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm still learning about the Advanced 4x4 option and if anyone else wants to chime in I'll listen. On build and price it is about $800.
Advanced 4x4 ("4A") will actively transmit power rear to front when the rear slips. This is useful for on-road driving in bad weather when you don't want to constantly switch between 4H and 2H. For instance, it snowed a couple of inches last night here in Iowa and depending on what road I was on, there was a little slush, a little snow, or totally dry. If I wanted to maximize traction without 4A, I would have been switching back and forth between 4H and 2H several times during the drive, since I would need 4H in the slush and snow, but 4H would bind up trying to turn on dry pavement so 2H is necessary there. 4A lets you leave it in 4A and it will transmit power to the front when it needs to, but leave the front disconnected during sharp turns and at steady speeds when you don't need traction up front. You wouldn't use 4A while offroading.

What you were seeing on the Jeep is normal traction control, every Bronco will have that. It uses the brakes to reactively move power around side to side because you didn't want to upgrade to a locker.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"On build and price it is about $800."

It depends on the model you start with. I added it to my 4-door Big Bend build, and it was $5,400+ change after you add in the rest of the changes that go with it.
Base and Big Bend make you upgrade to Sasquatch to add it. It's about $800 on the other models.

butler.bc

Big Bend
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Base and Big Bend make you upgrade to Sasquatch to add it. It's about $800 on the other models.
Thanks, Laminar. I was just coming back to post that.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, for Big Bend and base the advanced isn't an option without Sasquatch and I don't know why I said it was $800. Maybe I got it confused with the rear locker only available on the Big Bend.
What you were seeing on the Jeep is normal traction control, every Bronco will have that. It uses the brakes to reactively move power around side to side because you didn't want to upgrade to a locker.
Are you certain and can you or anyone else cite sources? I was under the understanding that t this feature was only for advanced 4x4. I ask because I won't be doing much off-roading but I do not want only open differentials. From what I've read and learned from an engineering perspective I don't know why a 4x4 would be offered without at least limited slip or lockers. But if every Bronco had the brake assist half assed "limited slip" I could probably be fine with that. Thank you for bringing this up!

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, for Big Bend and base the advanced isn't an option without Sasquatch and I don't know why I said it was $800. Maybe I got it confused with the rear locker only available on the Big Bend.

Are you certain and can you or anyone else cite sources? I was under the understanding that t this feature was only for advanced 4x4. I ask because I won't be doing much off-roading but I do not want only open differentials. From what I've read and learned from an engineering perspective I don't know why a 4x4 would be offered without at least limited slip or lockers. But if every Bronco had the brake assist half assed "limited slip" I could probably be fine with that. Thank you for bringing this up!
It's listed somewhere in the general info PDF.

The standard traction control system is nothing new for decades.

Even economy cars that list a snow/ice mode will have it.

The difference in the Bronco and Jeep , is that it engages the slipping wheels brakes more aggressively when in 4x4 modes.

It's not as good as true LSD, let alone a Locker, but TC is a huge boost over unassisted open differentials.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's listed somewhere in the general info PDF.

The standard traction control system is nothing new for decades.

Even economy cars that list a snow/ice mode will have it.

The difference in the Bronco and Jeep , is that it engages the slipping wheels brakes more aggressively when in 4x4 modes.

It's not as good as true LSD, let alone a Locker, but TC is a huge boost over unassisted open differentials.
I'm really happy hearing that. Do you know where I might read about that, the 4x4 type of brake traction control? And yes it does sound like a big upgrade over a regular open differential.

I've been reading about different types of limited slip differentials for the front as the trim I'll get won't have any but this seems like it would suffice.

I will be doing mostly sand near beaches and dirt, never rock crawling.

I'm familiar with regular car traction control but I don't know what I'm doing as far as 4x4s. Thank you!

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm really happy hearing that. Do you know where I might read about that, the 4x4 type of brake traction control? And yes it does sound like a big upgrade over a regular open differential.

I've been reading about different types of limited slip differentials for the front as the trim I'll get won't have any but this seems like it would suffice.

I will be doing mostly sand near beaches and dirt, never rock crawling.

I'm familiar with regular car traction control but I don't know what I'm doing as far as 4x4s. Thank you!
There is a pinned thread at the top of this forum for all of your Bronco information reading needs.

Jeep calls their system BLD.
Brake Locking Differential.

Their is a ton of U tu be videos about it .
Both the Wrangler and the Renegade.

Here's a fun video to start with.
The groaning sound is the brakes engaging until the engine overpowers them.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is a pinned thread at the top of this forum for all of your Bronco information reading needs.

Jeep calls their system BLD.
Brake Locking Differential.

Their is a ton of U tu be videos about it .
Both the Wrangler and the Renegade.

Here's a fun video to start with.
The groaning sound is the brakes engaging until the engine overpowers them.

Thank you, and I guess I missed this all. You made me happy and my wife definitely happy if I can go cheaper!

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it is indeed similar to an AWD, and/or also braking the slipping wheel while off-roading to force power to the opposite wheel, then it sounds like a good idea to me. For example, I saw a Jeep rock crawling and when one of its wheels went in the air, it spun then stopped and presumably sent power to the other wheel that had traction. This sounds incredulity useful as I won't have differential lockers. Can someone comment on this? Thanks.

Edit: it seems like this person is talking about the same system though I could be mistaken. The knob looks like all the other f-150 4A selectors though so I think this applies to us.

So the truck rides in two rear wheel drive all the time unless you switch to 4x4? Can’t see many people doing that on the fly on dangerous roads

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you certain and can you or anyone else cite sources?
My word is as good as gold.

I was under the understanding that t this feature was only for advanced 4x4. I ask because I won't be doing much off-roading but I do not want only open differentials. From what I've read and learned from an engineering perspective I don't know why a 4x4 would be offered without at least limited slip or lockers.
$$$. Most people wouldn't actually use a locker or a limited slip. If automakers can repurpose the ABS and traction control modules that they already have to put in the car to give you some fraction of the capability at basically zero cost, they'll do that first.

But if every Bronco had the brake assist half assed "limited slip" I could probably be fine with that. Thank you for bringing this up!
The issue is that it's a reactive system. A wheel has to slip first, then the system pulses the brakes, then it transfers some small amount of power momentarily, then repeats until you're either unstuck or hopelessly stuck.

In conditions like loose dirt and sand where momentum is important, a locker or LSD is the best way to maintain momentum. WIth an open diff, one wheel has to start slipping, which means one wheel is digging instead of pushing you forward.

So the truck rides in two rear wheel drive all the time unless you switch to 4x4? Can’t see many people doing that on the fly on dangerous roads
Yes, without 4A, it's in 2wd until you manually switch to 4. It's how most trucks have worked for most of history. Only in the last decade or two have they started putting automatic 4x4 into trucks. Jeep has had a few variations on automatic 4x4 over the years ("Selec-Trac," "Quadra-Trac," etc.).
Sponsored