Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you are new to off roading and don’t plan to do any serious trails, just beginner stuff, do you need the advanced 4x4?
what’s the main difference?
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The optional T-case has 4 auto and also a lower crawl ratio in 4 lo (3.06:1 vs. 2.72:1).

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I understand it the optional transfer case has the 4A feature that will use the computer along with the selected GOAT mode to automatically apply 4 wheel drive as needed on the fly. I see it as more of a safety feature than anything else. Also I think the gearing may be a little different.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are new to off roading and don’t plan to do any serious trails, just beginner stuff, do you need the advanced 4x4?
Many threads on the benefits, but to your specific question, I would say the Automatic 4wd is more for poor weather conditions during more typically driving on paved or dirt roads.
It’s not an AWD system like is found on Subaru or Audi, but more akin to that type of usage rather than off roading.

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I only want it for the Michigan winters

Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're on the road and ascending a hill with icy patches, the automatic transfer case will allow you to ascend the hill with less drama than manually shifting between 2H and 4H with the manual transfer case. That gets old fast.

The 4Auto is also nice on trails with muddy patches where you don't want the drivetrain to be binding all the time when you are taking tight turns with 4WD engaged.

20Bronco21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’22 Badlands, ‘23 Balands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only want it for the Michigan winters
I’m with Gizmo on this, Illinois winters can be a yawn or a complete nightmare.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was on the 4A band wagon but it is another nanny tied into the computer. I wonder, if a person opts for the basic 2 speed t-case, would it be easier to later change to an Atlas t-case without having the computer freak out? Visions of a twin stick Bronco dance in my head....

I would hope this is on Advanced Adapters radar.

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was on the 4A band wagon but it is another nanny tied into the computer. I wonder, if a person opts for the basic 2 speed t-case, would it be easier to later change to an Atlas t-case without having the computer freak out? Visions of a twin stick Bronco dance in my head....

I would hope this is on Advanced Adapters radar.
The advanced transfer case has a 2H mode so you can make it not engage the front, it's not like it's always monitoring.

Advanced 4x4

Where would the twin sticks come through the floor, there's going to be a center console and console mounted shifter. Would be a massive undertaking to do this, plus with the very low crawl gear on top of the advanced TC why would you need twin stick?

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford’s website lists it as on demand yet says it continuously varies power when activated. Doesn’t that make it sound more similar to say Honda’s AWD system or am I misunderstanding what continuously variable means.

Sponsored

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford’s website lists it as on demand yet says it continuously varies power when activated. Doesn’t that make it sound more similar to say Honda’s AWD system or am I misunderstanding what continuously variable means.
Not the same as a CVT trans if that's what you are thinking. It means that where 4H is fully locked into 4WD, 4A has a clutch so it can be partially engaged and engaged while moving up to 50MPH I think. So what it means is that it can feed in some or all of the front axle as needed and disengage and you'll never notice and won't have to come to a complete stop to switch.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The advanced transfer case has a 2H mode so you can make it not engage the front, it's not like it's always monitoring.

Advanced 4x4

Where would the twin sticks come through the floor, there's going to be a center console and console mounted shifter. Would be a massive undertaking to do this, plus with the very low crawl gear on top of the advanced TC why would you need twin stick?
Because front dig
Because it looks cool
Because all I have right now is my dreams

A guy can still dream

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want it for the highway drive on days where there are patches of ice/snow and stretches of dry pavement in between. 2 speed cases are fine but if it's in auto mode don't have to think about it ahead of time.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m with Gizmo on this, Illinois winters can be a yawn or a complete nightmare.
AMEN BROTHER......I HAVE A '17 FORD EXPLORER SUV WORK VEHICLE WITH AWD (W/RUBBER FLOORING) AND IT'S GREAT....ALWAYS BEAT 4 X 4 TRUCKS OFF THE LINE IN TRAFFIC!

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One thing not mentioned yet, the advanced 4x4 TC paired with the 4.7 gearing on the Badlands or Sasquatch package is the only way to get to the advertised 95:1 crawl gearing.

For mild trails, you'd probably never feel the difference, however, I know from personal experience how 4 wheeling can suck you in. I bought my Xterra primarily to get to hiking trailheads that were too rough for my Sentra. As I got further into off-roading I regretted not buying the higher trim with the locker or splurging on a Jeep for the capability.
Sponsored