mnpontoon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
Automatic 4wd has been around a long time, my mom's 2002 Explorer had it. It worked pretty good. It had 4hi, 4lo and automatic, just a boring 4.0 XLT.

It is the only reason we are getting a Black Diamond, it is the cheapest package that has 4x4A.

Knocking on wood I haven't had my regular 4wd give me any problems though... my wife doesn't know how to run it and the Bronco is for her.
Base Squatch is cheaper ;)
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I plan to get that, the auto 4X4 engagement feature. What is odd, on B&P you add it, it shows up as 0.00 cost in your B&P breakdown....but your total will reflect a 795.00 increase. I guess a bug in B&P....it should show it's cost upon selection (like everything else) and show up in the breakdown of costs column.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I tried searching but couldn't find explanation of the difference between the two. Anyone have info or a thread to point me two?
Allow myself to quote myself:

Plenty of articles on this subject, including one started by myself and with plenty of links and resources in the threads.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks all. Wicked helpful and the similar threads pulled some of the ones I was missing with search
Pissah that you're all set.

Rustytuna

Base
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Base
Trying to understand what i get with a big bend base 4x4 system. Does it have any ability to send torque to either left/right wheels? Or is the base 4x4 basically sending the power 50/50 split front rear with open diffs on both ends. So if i lose traction, for example, in the right rear, that wheel just spins away while I stay stuck?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trying to understand what i get with a big bend base 4x4 system. Does it have any ability to send torque to either left/right wheels? Or is the base 4x4 basically sending the power 50/50 split front rear with open diffs on both ends. So if i lose traction, for example, in the right rear, that wheel just spins away while I stay stuck?
Open diff, but in a modern system like you’ll find in the Bronco, instead of sending power to the wheel with traction, the vehicle will brake just the wheel that’s spinning.

This will have the effect of diverting power back to the wheel that is gripping. It’s not perfect, since you’re losing energy to the braked wheel, but it works pretty darn well.

Rustytuna

Base
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks. Limited slip or locking diff would be nice to gain that mechanical advantage for preventing slip but this should be good for my use (some snow, light off road when camping).

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
To clear up some things I'll do some editing and make comments to the posts below:

Advanced is supposedly safe to drive on dry pavement and will function kinda sorta like an AWD system. Kicks in 4H - engages the front drive shaft - only when you need it via an electro-mechanical clutch inside the transfer case and then reverts back to 2H.

In addition to variable engagement of the front driveshaft Advanced will use computer controlled braking on the wheels that are slipping in order to direct power to the wheel that has grip (ABS-based LSD) in the absence of a fully engaged locking differential

standard 4H or 4LO should never be driven on dry pavement unless you completely, unequivocally understand you cannot move the steering wheel more than a couple inches side to side . That’s how you cause drive train damage as parts get mashed together due to lack of slipping as you make a turn.

but you can use 4H on snowy pavement? I’m really confused as to whether you have to turn it off as you approach blacktop. Maybe you cannot use 4H on mixed surfaces in the city? I’m confused as to that
You can use 4H or 4LO in deep snow or slush with wet blacktop underneath, you can turn the steering wheel much more, but yes know how to quickly flip into 2H if you see dry blacktop approaching. Especially if a sharp turn is needed like city mixed surface driving. 4H is great for highway driving on mixed surfaces. You only need to move the steering wheel a few inches either way to make lane changes.

the standard 4x4 selector gives you 2H, 4H and 4L.

the advanced system adds another choice: 4A.

EDIT: take my words with a grain of salt. Read the manual. I’m a noob here.
There’s definitely some long threads talking about the distinctions, but basically 4A is a setting in which the vehicle is normally in 2H but can quickly engage and disengage 4H if it detects rear end slip.

Additionally, the transfer case utilizes clutch packs which allow for “slippage” meaning it’s safe to engage the 4H in this mode on an otherwise high traction surface without causes front drivetrain binding like you would when locking it into 4H.

It is *not* akin to an AWD system like most people think of in a Subaru or Audi, etc.
4H can be used in snow, even if you run into sections of road without snow, you’ll be fine. You just shouldn’t use 4H if most the road is bare. 4A makes it so you NEVER have to worry about that
Yeah, pretty much that ^^^. 4H is fine on mixed surfaces as long as you don't move the steering wheel too much, 4A better.
You can use 4x4 on pavement. You just aren't supposed to go over a certain mph, especially in 4L.
A little of this, little of that. Bronco can probably hit 110mph in 4H desert offroad but stupid to try 110mph 4HI on pavement. Speed limitation probably is just can't shiftonthefly 2H-4H-2H above 60mph. 4LO top speed will be limited by the rev limiter.

Does seem like an awesome, versatile 4WD SUV especially with the Advanced T-case. Even has Neutral. And at a reasonable cost if you don't want the fancy stuff.
Best explanation of the 4A I've seen.
Worth your time.

I didn't see anything about 4A, just basic 4H and 4LO.

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What’s your guys opinion is it better to get the advanced 4wd it’s not that much I was going to get it just curious what people think or is it worth saving a little and get the reg

Dubfound

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi’s
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in NH and we get some shit weather and I do like 30k miles a yr for work. The bronco will be my new work whip. So I’m going to get it. Like the set it and forget it aspect.

OP
OP
chownd

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What’s your guys opinion is it better to get the advanced 4wd it’s not that much I was going to get it just curious what people think or is it worth saving a little and get the reg
Based on my understanding, I'm getting it for snowy conditions too. In new England, like half the year there can be random part snow, part ice, part slush, part entirely dry pavement. This saves me from worrying about binding and, hopefully, saves me from sliding around a bit in the process.

It's probably a lot less important for others if not living in a snowy climate

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a monster step hill right next to my house that RWD vehicles have issues getting up in the rain, given I live in Seattle that's frequent. For me its a no brainer but pushing a button for 4WD is a first world problem...

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a monster step hill right next to my house that RWD vehicles have issues getting up in the rain, given I live in Seattle that's frequent. For me its a no brainer but pushing a button for 4WD is a first world problem...
Confused why you can just switch to 4H in mixed winter weather and drive normally. Please explain.
Sponsored