Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would take the Badlands discussion 1 step further with a discussion on the value of this trim. I view this from 2 different perspectives:
  • Wheeler who values style and creature comforts = YOU NEED A BADLANDS!
    • PERFECT rig. BEST hardware. BEST interior & exterior feature availability
  • Wheeler who doesn't care so much about style and features = FORGET Badlands
    • OVER RATED - you can get approximately equivalent hardware on the BaseSquatch/BlackSquatch for less
    • IMO - a standard Badlands and a BaseSquatch have almost identical offroad capability. You will be able to go almost exactly the same places. The real world advantages of 35" tires and slight lift with Squatch will be nearly negligible on an identical trail with an experienced driver.

If you can guess my build by now:

Standard 4-door Badlands. I value creature comforts, features, and style BUT DEMAND the BEST fundamental hardware. I'm a 4-door because I'm a family man ;) I do not care for 35s because I know I don't need them - for now. The rest of Squatch is nearly worthless to me.
are you going to get the 4.7 gearing?
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who has a built wrangler in the garage and wheeled my wife's GC trailhawk on dozens of moderate to difficult trails throughout CO, UT & AZ, I have no doubt my wife's 4dr BL, 2.7, auto, 4.70, lux w/o the sasquatch package will be more than capable on every trail we hit.

We wheel a lot by ourselves, technically every time we take the offroad camper out dispersed camping. The more difficult the trail is, the more epic views when we get to our spot. Things I do/take:
  • I send family members info on where we're headed, I carry a Garmin inReach Explorer+ for emergency purposes and they can track us at all times.
  • I have my tool bag w/ enough tools to fix almost anything including portable battery charger/jumper, tire repair kit, bottle jack, full-size spare for vehicle/trailer, HD air compressor and fluids for whichever vehicle we're taking.
  • Plenty of food & water for both wife/I & the 2 dogs.
  • Plenty of warm clothing/blankets for both wife/I & the 2 dogs.
  • I have a comprehensive first aid kit for humans as well as a separate kit for the dogs, along with first aid training for both wife & I.
  • I have multiple communication devices (cell phones w/ access to 2 different carriers, handheld GMRS radio) along w/ a weBoost signal booster since most of our trail riding and camping is remote and in hard to reach places.
  • Recovery gear (snatch straps, tree saver, tow line, snatch blocks, maxtraxx, winch - depending on vehicle we're in)
  • Firearms w/ plenty of ammo (firearms/ammo vary based on where I'm headed and the size of 4-legged threats, 2-legged threats get the standard 9mm or 10mm).
  • Common sense.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great Thread !!!! I'm in my early 50's and have been wheeling since before I could drive. I've broken most rules and learned my lessons the hard way. Have wheeled 2WD trucks where 4WD guys wouldn't go. Locked, not locked, wheeled alone, Done things when most would say no way. Now I am trying to pass it down to my son. Hard to keep him off the Xbox. :ROFLMAO: My TJ had come down with a bad case of rust-belt-itus so I have been using the 4 wheelers to teach my son the basics before the Bronc makes it to the stable. He loves it. always wants to use the locker so I had to show him what it is for. I drove over the pile. They were some big rocks.

Ford Bronco Advice for would-be Bronco off-roaders 20200819_095228

He said when he first used it "boy this thing is hard to steer":ROFLMAO: ..........he is learning.

All good advice here (y)(y) One thing I would add is you can't be afraid to use it. .......damage happens. Not saying one should "trash" their new ride, but shit happens, damaged can be fixed.

To quote and old flick........ A man has got to know his limitations.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2009 Mazda RX-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Which brings me to my next point - lockers! The #1 single biggest improvement I made to my ‘79 Bronco was adding a rear Detroit-style locker. It’s simply AMAZING what happens when you get all tires turning in all conditions. Therefore - I HIGHLY recommend putting down the cash for lockers. Lockers are both difficult and expensive to add aftermarket. Adding a front locker also takes you to a whole other level.
  2. MINIMIZE any lift that you add. It’s amazing how much fun you can have on a small lift and 35” tires. You likely do not need >2in of lift in this Bronco to keep you happy and entertained for a LONG time. Honestly, I would recommend stock Badlands height and no lift for as long as possible. The primary reason for this is keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. High CGs equate to bad off-road handling. Good driving skills overcome lack of lift in many situations.
Doesn't the front locker only come in the Sasquatch package? If so, regarding the two points above: Which is more beneficial...getting the factory front locker and having a lift from the Squatch or minimizing the lift with smaller tires and an open diff in the front?

Thank you for taking the time to put these points together BTW!

Last edited:

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After 6 months on this forum I can see that there are lots of potentially new off-road enthusiasts looking to get into Broncos! This is exciting and it’ll be great to see the 4x4 community grow in general.

I also see lots of “what’s this do”, “do I need this or that” type questions, so I thought I would lend my 2 cents on my general philosophy after having been heavy into off-roading the last ~15 years or so. With my below suggestions, I will assume that you may someday want to do some serious trails - not just gravel roads and an occasional mud rut.
  1. The number one thing I want to tell you is that I believe it as FAR more advantageous to pony up as much money as possible to purchase the stoutest factory driveline that you can get in your rig - if you even remotely think you may wheel aggressively. I’m talking about making sure you spend your money on things that AREN’T easy to change or add on in the aftermarket / used market world.
    • The prime example of this would be axles. If you think you will someday want to run 35”+ tires, do everything within your power to get the M210 axles. An example of this in the Jeep world would be the Dana 35 axles - which are a serious drawback when one wants to get serious about wheeling. Especially with lockers.
  2. Which brings me to my next point - lockers! The #1 single biggest improvement I made to my ‘79 Bronco was adding a rear Detroit-style locker. It’s simply AMAZING what happens when you get all tires turning in all conditions. Therefore - I HIGHLY recommend putting down the cash for lockers. Lockers are both difficult and expensive to add aftermarket. Adding a front locker also takes you to a whole other level.
  3. Sway-bar disconnect. You NEED a sway-bar disconnect. You do NOT need the fancy-pants electronic disconnect Bronco offers as there will be aftermarket versions available cheap, but you cannot underestimate the value of this extra articulation. Adding an aftermarket version will likely be a nice intro to DIY vehicle modifications. Disconnects I think will be even more important with the Bronco due to the already lesser articulation compared to a solid front axle.
  4. MINIMIZE any lift that you add. It’s amazing how much fun you can have on a small lift and 35” tires. You likely do not need >2in of lift in this Bronco to keep you happy and entertained for a LONG time. Honestly, I would recommend stock Badlands height and no lift for as long as possible. The primary reason for this is keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. High CGs equate to bad off-road handling. Good driving skills overcome lack of lift in many situations.
  5. You do NOT NEED BEADLOCKS! I regularly run 12psi in the rear, and 15psi in the front. This is plenty low to get adequate deformation of the tire (see above picture). I have only had 1 problem with unseating a bead, which was due to winch operator error (I winched myself sideways when it wasn't necessary). Until you're doing expert level stuff, save your money for those lockers ;)
In summary - I’m part of a Jeep Club and I CONSTANTLY see people buying expensive D44 crate axles, paying for lockers with install labor, etc., and generally speaking they always wish they would have just bought a Rubicon to begin with. It can eliminate a lot of headache if you’re think you might get serious. Starting with the best available hardware to begin with has a lot of advantages.

IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTIONS FROM OTHER MEMBERS (Paraphrased)
  1. Trail Etiquette @Ramble_Offroad
    1. Never go wheeling alone
    2. Stay on designated routes
    3. Always pick up your trash
    4. Tread lightly
    5. Don't be an asshole
    6. Pay it forward
    7. Leave it better than you found it
    8. https://staythetrail.org/
  2. Wheeling Advice @Ramble_Offroad @Bronco @WillisC’onnors @BLTN
    1. Understand and stay within the limits of your equipment and skillset
      • Be realistic
      • Don't let anyone (especially cute girls/guys) talk you into exceeding your limits
    2. Too much throttle + hopping = broken shit
    3. Join a local club. They will have access to private wheeling ground you won't. Also a great deal of experienced people.
    4. Anticipate the effects of poor weather. A moderate trail can become nearly impassable after just a few minutes of rain/snow
  3. Gear advice @Ramble_Offroad @Gr8Hortoni @Blksn955.o
    • You NEED a first aid kit. It can be simple.
    • Tire puncture repair kit & air compressor = gold
      • Great way to pick up 4x4 chicks err I mean friends
    • LOCKERS BEFORE LIGHTBARS!!!
      • When the rubber meats the road, ONLY functionality matters.
    • A blanket - girls love them and so do you
    • Roll of toilet paper. Definitely necessary - keep a full roll in a plastic bag. Leaves or a sacrificial sock are your alternative...
MIOBI (Make It Or Break It) - Knoxville, IA (private owned park)

Strike Ravine - Moab, UT

Iron Range - Gilbert, MN (Public DNR run park)
Great thread, thanks.
My build is a Black Diamond, MT/2.3. It will be towed a lot behind our Motorhome and will carry us into to town and sightseeing areas away from crowds. I see it used for some off roading but as I have gotten smarter over the years I don’t see me looking for huge mud holes to prove I can cross.
With that being said, should I upgrade to the ”Advanced 4x4 transfer case”? Could this prove beneficial in the long term?

Thanks

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great thread, thanks.
My build is a Black Diamond, MT/2.3. It will be towed a lot behind our Motorhome and will carry us into to town and sightseeing areas away from crowds. I see it used for some off roading but as I have gotten smarter over the years I don’t see me looking for huge mud holes to prove I can cross.
With that being said, should I upgrade to the ”Advanced 4x4 transfer case”? Could this prove beneficial in the long term?

Thanks
In Texas or other warm weather states, I’m not sure the advanced transfer case will make much of a difference to you. I see it as being the most useful when there is snow and ice on the ground so four wheel drive is needed, but not all the time. You could put it in 4A and then let the Bronco shift in and out of four wheel drive whenever it detects the tires slipping.

I’m sure there are other situations this would be beneficial, but, being from Michigan, this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In Texas or other warm weather states, I’m not sure the advanced transfer case will make much of a difference to you. I see it as being the most useful when there is snow and ice on the ground so four wheel drive is needed, but not all the time. You could put it in 4A and then let the Bronco shift in and out of four wheel drive whenever it detects the tires slipping.

I’m sure there are other situations this would be beneficial, but, being from Michigan, this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Gear ratio as well.

Inked2021-Bronco-2dr-4dr-Prelim-Tech-Specs_page_1_LI.jpg

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't the front locker only come in the Sasquatch package? If so, that contradicts these two points. Which is more beneficial...getting the factory front locker and having a lift from the Squatch or minimizing the lift with smaller tires and an open diff in the front?

Thank you for taking the time to put these points together BTW!
The Badlands & up have a front locker as standard.

Sponsored

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Line choice and being able to read the terrain is paramount as it relates to the build of your rig.
Also, I know the OP advised most will not even need 35's..and it depends on the trails. My goal is 37's because I need the clearance. I've been off roading for many years and some here will hate to hear it but larger tires (w/in reason) do play a role and can make things easier.
I agree that folks who are going to push their rigs to get the beefier axles and the sway bar disco is important...either elec or manual. Which ever. Axles are the big item though. Buy once, cry once.

I do cringe at folks who have a metric ton of shit piled on the roof going through off camber sections of the trails. Flop waiting to happen.

Last edited:

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All these people talking about “needing” 35s, beadlocks, lockers front and rear. I just over here like, “I bet my van could make it”

Watching this video makes me (not an offroader to this point) realize I've driven roads here in PA similar to this.

My kid went to a church summer camp near Kentuck Knob here in PA that was the worst road (private) I've ever seen.

Gives me a desire to go back there when I get my Bronco!

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Line choice and being able to read the terrain is paramount as it relates to the build of your rig.
Can't believe we made it to page 5 without this sage advice.

Avoiding trouble is the best practice.

Picking a line, knowing where your wheels are, knowing where your wheels will go, and knowing how your vehicle will react is extremely important. It can be the difference between carrying on or needing all the stuff listed in this thread.

Walk the critical sections first if you need to.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can't believe we made it to page 5 without this sage advice.

Avoiding trouble is the best practice.

Picking a line, knowing where your wheels are, knowing where your wheels will go, and knowing how your vehicle will react is extremely important. It can be the difference between carrying on or needing all the stuff listed in this thread.

Walk the critical sections first if you need to.
That is something that can never be said too many times. On an unfamiliar trail, unless you see someone else go through and learn, nothing better than boots on the ground...
Sponsored