First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never towed before so I know I'll need local practice and patience. Situation: I have a car that weighs 1950 and found a trailer that weighs less than 1400 pounds. But the trailer reseller is saying I'm way too close to the rated maximum to reliably transport my car for anything but local distances. Is this accurate or just an extremely safe guideline?
Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately you're over the Bronco limits, unsafe and a liability. Heck, the hitch receiver flexes with a bike rack, no way I'd go over limits.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've never towed before so I know I'll need local practice and patience. Situation: I have a car that weighs 1950 and found a trailer that weighs less than 1400 pounds. But the trailer reseller is saying I'm way too close to the rated maximum to reliably transport my car for anything but local distances. Is this accurate or just an extremely safe guideline?
You might consider buying or renting a tow dolly.

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Unfortunately you're over the Bronco limits, unsafe and a liability. Heck, the hitch receiver flexes with a bike rack, no way I'd go over limits.
I call BS on that Receiver flexing! The bike rack may have flexed, but that's not the receiver!

OP
OP
frankk

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You might consider buying or renting a tow dolly.
I understand a dolly is not a good option for anything but local runs. Do you think a dolly is acceptable on the highway?

Sponsored
OP
OP
frankk

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is rated at 3500 pounds. My load is around 3300 pounds. I'm not over the limit. Given that, the trailer vendor is saying I should target 80% of the recommended rating for cross state runs because I may have to go up hills or face other challenges.

Is the Bronco with a 2.7 auto enough to tow 3500 pounds, while facing hills, near the limit..across a few states?

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A bit of a controversial topic. I'll say the Bronco uses the new SAEJ2807 standards that are much more strick. Some of those standards are safety related, some are not. The current 4runner for example would probably test at the same or less than a Bronco using J2807, but because it predates that standard it's grandfathered in. There are plenty of people running around towing 5000lb trailers with 4runners just fine though. There is a laundry list of different performance parameters that it must meet to test within J2807 specifications, and why it's limited to 3500lbs is anyone's guess, but I doubt it's performance related.

Is it a cooling system issue? Probably not a huge deal. Is it a trailer sway control issue? That's much more serious. I haven't towed with one yet, but If I did with 3000lbs, and It felt nice and stable, I'd push it further. How it handles sway, and how it brakes are your big safety considerations.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco tow limits are a bit different than many vehicles. They have nothing to do with power - either engine, but especially the 2.7, has plenty of power to tow.

The suspension and the way the hitch is attached to the frame are much bigger considerations, but under the limit should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to go close to the limit after testing it locally and feeling good about it.

I just towed 2500 lbs over 1200 miles and hardly knew it was there.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I call BS on that Receiver flexing! The bike rack may have flexed, but that's not the receiver!
Lol, ok. It flexes badly with the swing adapter, rack and two bikes. I can clearly see the receiver bouncing up/down, hardly takes any force once the bikes are loaded. Only reason I have a hitch setup is that I run all winter with a sled deck on my 3500HD.

The Bronco is rated at 3500 pounds. My load is around 3300 pounds. I'm not over the limit. Given that, the trailer vendor is saying I should target 80% of the recommended rating for cross state runs because I may have to go up hills or face other challenges.

Is the Bronco with a 2.7 enough to tow 3500 pounds, while facing hills, near the limit..across a few states?
Guess I had 3,000lbs on my mind for some reason. Power should be fine with the 2.7L, just make sure you're loaded right, that Bronco is has a loose suspension.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Take it easy and it will be fine. Surge or electric brakes on the trailer? Towed our 62 C10 30 miles on a flatbed with our Explorer. Uhaul was twin axle was great and the surge brakes did a good job. That said we did keep it under 50mph and kept to surface streets.

Sponsored
OP
OP
frankk

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Uhaul was twin axle was great and the surge brakes did a good job. That said we did keep it under 50mph and kept to surface streets.
Uhaul looks like a nice safe option but it is bigger than I need and puts me over by a few hundred pounds.

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL rubicon, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flexing? maybe you have something wrong no issues on flexing and at 3386lbs. I do use a load distribution hitch. 4dr badlands 2.3 l auto non sasquatched (with 35x12.5 tires) one with latest trailer and one with previous trailer with 3100lbs loaded. I have done a few trips of 500 plus miles. plenty of power and no issues. just be aware and drive at reasonable speed(i did 65 even when speed limit was 70). You will have plenty who be glad to tell you cant do something( I will state it is not over my weight limit!!!!!! it is close but not exceeded so slow down and drive safe. Your Bronco will surprise you. I agree that the Bronco could very easily pull 5000 lbs safely if drive accordingly but the legal limit is 3500 lbs or slightly under.
Ford Bronco Advice to member with no towing experience IMG_7675
Ford Bronco Advice to member with no towing experience IMG_7526

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 4dr BL squats with 3200 lbs and a WDH is not an option on my trailer (I run 12% tongue weight). The 2.7 will tow it fine but remember thats 3500lbs max towing. A 4dr BL like mine with all the weight of steel bumpers, skids etc. is less than 3500lbs.

9100toZero

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is the Bronco with a 2.7 auto enough to tow 3500 pounds, while facing hills, near the limit..across a few states?
Towed 2200 miles similar load with no issues. Just watch the tongue weight. I had some rebalancing.
Sponsored