Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
Installed the Aeroskin II hood deflector about a week ago and really like the way it looks, BUT yesterday I had a long highway trip about 2 hours and noticed above 60 MPH it seems like the center of my hood is fluttering ( for lack of a better term ). Its slight and cant remember if that was happening before the deflector was installed. It sort of looks like when the hood flexes going through the air dry at the touchless car wash. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar or if someone without the deflector can tell me if their hood slightly flutters/vibrates in the center at highway speeds.
Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed the Aeroskin II hood deflector about a week ago and really like the way it looks, BUT yesterday I had a long highway trip about 2 hours and noticed above 60 MPH it seems like the center of my hood is fluttering ( for lack of a better term ). Its slight and cant remember if that was happening before the deflector was installed. It sort of looks like when the hood flexes going through the air dry at the touchless car wash. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar or if someone without the deflector can tell me if their hood slightly flutters/vibrates in the center at highway speeds.
I have this waiting to go on my truck. It seems so odd that the hood deflector would be the thing to cause hood rattle/vibration. If anything I would think it would help it by making it ever so slightly more aerodynamic as that is what it is made for, not cause it. I have not seen anyone else mention this. Kind of hoping it was already there and you just didn't notice. Not that that helps you any.

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have noticed the same hood flutter on mine with the hood deflector on. However, like you, I don't remember if it did that before I had the deflector on or not.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both of the vehicles my family are driving right now have hood flutter on the highway at higher speed and/or with a windy day on the highway (not Broncos, no deflectors). So I guess it doesn't seem weird to me deflector or not.

OP
OP
Abundigas

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have this waiting to go on my truck. It seems so odd that the hood deflector would be the thing to cause hood rattle/vibration. If anything I would think it would help it by making it ever so slightly more aerodynamic as that is what it is made for, not cause it. I have not seen anyone else mention this. Kind of hoping it was already there and you just didn't notice. Not that that helps you any.
I appreciate your input. Still don't know if it was there before, But my thought was that the rear fin on the deflector is making a low pressure zone behind the deflector and then the air is slamming down on the hood and causing the center of the hood to flutter.. Had a similar issue years ago with a deflector on my Ford Ranger, not with the hood but the air flow from the Rangers deflector would cause the wipers to lift away from the windshield at highway speeds due to the change in airflow - turbulence..

Sponsored
OP
OP
Abundigas

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have noticed the same hood flutter on mine with the hood deflector on. However, like you, I don't remember if it did that before I had the deflector on or not.
I have a friend without the deflector I have asked them to let me know if they have any hood fluttering at higway speeds waiting to hear back

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate your input. Still don't know if it was there before, But my thought was that the rear fin on the deflector is making a low pressure zone behind the deflector and then the air is slamming down on the hood and causing the center of the hood to flutter.. Had a similar issue years ago with a deflector on my Ford Ranger, not with the hood but the air flow from the Rangers deflector would cause the wipers to lift away from the windshield at highway speeds due to the change in airflow - turbulence..
That’s a good observation. The lip will generate turbulence and vortices in the low pressure trailing the defelector, and that “bumpy” flow could be what’s causing the fluttering. This is analagous to turbulence you feel when flying, except in the flight case the air disturbances are naturally occurring. But bumpy air is bumpy air.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just started looking into those last night, after a rock cracked my 3 monthold windshield.

I was quote $800-$1100 to have the windshield replaced, $400 just to recalibrate the sensors behind the windshield for the driving assot systems.

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine has done that since I put it on.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Same here ...it wiggles the hood a bit more now. Less bugs on the window though!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Abundigas

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just started looking into those last night, after a rock cracked my 3 monthold windshield.

I was quote $800-$1100 to have the windshield replaced, $400 just to recalibrate the sensors behind the windshield for the driving assot systems.
That's the exactly reason I got it, was to try to save my windshield. Mine is covered 100% by insurance, but its still a huge hassle

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I noticed this when I put the Aeroskin II hood deflector on my old Bronco Sport, it's a known thing with the BS so it certainly isn't unique.

Thinking about getting one for my Bronco.

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had mine installed like 2 weeks ago and noticed the same thing. Also can't remember if it did it before or not 👀
Sponsored