Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

First off - the 2.3 (the 2.7 as well for that matter) will NEVER sound like a V8. I only did this mod because this exhaust is stainless and cost less than $500 shipped, and I wanted to get rid of that HUGE factory muffler (once I saw it - I couldn't unsee it) and I wanted to be able to hear the exhaust over the fuel injection noise (normal).

Does it free up some HP / TQ? Who knows. It sure doesn't flow worse than the stock exhaust and it dropped some weight.

This system uses a mid muffler and just utilizes a over the axle pipe with a turn down that you can't even see from outside the truck - another plus in my book, I'm sure tastes vary.

It really us an easy install. Sitting on 35s - I had plenty of room to do this without jacking the Bronco up. I honestly didn't even look at the install instructions from aFe - it's plug and play.

TIP: If you DO NOT have a pair of exhaust hangar pliers, I recommend you drop $15 and get a pair or get ready to cuss and yank and cuss some more. I've had a pair for years, considering I've switched out more exhausts than I can remember. This tool lets you get the exhaust hangars out of the rubber hangers / isolators. Trust me - they are worth it.

- I removed the rear muffler / tailpipe assembly first. Remove the two hangers from the rubber isolators - a few minutes with the pliers, without? Good luck - silicone grease / WD40 will be your friend. 15mm bolt on the factory band clamp. Kind of odd if you think about it, I've never seen an OEM setup that didn't have the mufflers welded. A few twists and pull, muffler was out.

Ford Bronco aFe High tuck cat back exhaust for 2.3 installed IMG_4164

- (2) 15mm nuts on the factory pipe that mates to the cat converter. Tip - use a 15mm box end wrench on the top nut, and it will easily pop the hanger out of the rubber isolator that holds the pipe. Then I used my impact and buzzed both nuts out.

- Now go back to where the pipe goes over the axle, there is another hanger connected to a rubber isolator. Good luck getting that one out without a pair of exhaust pliers.

- Now you can remove the exhaust, bring it towards the front, turning it to clear the rear axle.

This system fits both 4 door and 2 door. IF you have a 2 door, you simply don't use a mid pipe extension that's included. Bolt up the aFe pipe that connects to the cat converter. Use the factory hardware. DO NOT put the new pipe's hanger into the rubber isolator yet. Next, feed the main pipe and muffler (muffler connects directly the cat pipe you just installed if you have a 2 door) underneath. Tilt it to get it over the rear axle, then slide the band clamp over and seat the muffler into the pipe. Snug the band clamp down.

Slide the new pipe's hanger - right in front of the rear axle - into the rubber isolator then slide the isolator onto the OEM hanger under the body. Silicone grease will help.

Next, take the new exhaust's turn down onto the rear of the exhaust, install it onto the pipe (don't forget your band clamp). Install the hanger from the pipe into the rubber isolator, and the isolator onto the hanger. Grease that isolator or fight it out, your choice.

That's it. I laid under and moved/ adjust the pipes with the band clamps snugged down, then tightened the clamps.

This doesn't add a ton of start up volume - but it DOES deepen the tone. Sounds good, especially in Sport mode or manually shifting the trans. It's NOT annoying, it doesn't drone, and at interstate speeds, you have to listen for it to hear it. That's what I personally wanted. It sounds pretty good to be honest at higher RPMs. I can just hear the exhaust over the engine's injection noise at idle - and that was one of my aims.

You can search Youtube and hear clips.

The ONLY other exhaust I heard that sounded halfway decent (it IS a 2.3) it was over $1K. It didn't sound $1K good - but that's just my opinion.
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

how does the 2.3 sound compared to the 2.7 video?

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

actually sounds pretty good! really hate the droning or look at me loud. plus i really don't want to hear it much inside when driving.

Sponsored

TullyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang, 02 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You think I could modify it and make it a dual tip? The price sounds great

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You think I could modify it and make it a dual tip? The price sounds great
By the time you did you'd be better off buying something else unless you can weld and you have some stainless pipe laying around,

Inrustwetrust_

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just had this exhaust delivered to my house! Hope to install in the next few days. Glad you liked yours. Should be nice paired with the MT.

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just had this exhaust delivered to my house! Hope to install in the next few days. Glad you liked yours. Should be nice paired with the MT.
Get some exhaust pliers. I warned you. LOL

Inrustwetrust_

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

😆 just ordered a pair on Amazon.
When you're under there and you use those pliers you'll be thanking me. I've had a pair for years after fighting a new hanger isolator on a truck for long enough I was ready to burn the truck. (Wasn't my truck)......LOL

CliffCo

Big Bend
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver, Big Bend Sasquatch (MIC top)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you find a better option to suit the wife? I'm so nervous about the same thing...
Not that I would consider in my budget. I don't want to drop $1,000 on a muffler, and I don't think we can get anything like an interesting growl out of a 2.3L 4 cylinder for less.

Inrustwetrust_

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When you're under there and you use those pliers you'll be thanking me. I've had a pair for years after fighting a new hanger isolator on a truck for long enough I was ready to burn the truck. (Wasn't my truck)......LOL
Got it installed over the weekend. Very thankful for the hanger pliers.. and the axle back and a pain to get separated.

But! The hi tuck looks and sounds great. (as good as a 4cyl can sound). Wife and I are happy
Sponsored