Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this is my dilemma...

I'd like to finance the least amount of crap when it comes time to throw down cash and get the loan for this guy. I'm happy with purchasing items from Ford, Ford Performance, after market vendors, etc, after the fact in order to either have an additional item, additional upgrades install and OEM spares on hand, etc.

My question to you guys, as far as Ford experiences, after market items, Ford Performance items, etc, is, as examples:

-How difficult would it be to upgrade and replace the touch screen system afterwards? (How long would you expect something like this to not be available?)
-Add 360 Camera to the system if you don't get the corresponding package?
-Purchase the Modular Hard Top later?
-Something stupid, like the extra sound deadening material to add yourself to the tops?

There are things I'd like to get and install later, if I don't have to jump up to the upper tier trims if I don't have to.

Sponsored

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Buying stuff you should have bought from the get-go or trying to upgrade your vehicle with OEM parts will always be stupid expensive compared to getting it outright at the time of build/purchase.

There are countless threads on countless vehicle forums about turning X into Y at ridiculous expense.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Personally I'd add in those at purchase if you want them. Lots of electronics to figure out if you add them later that may or may not work as a system as planned from the factory and doubt it would be any cheaper until you find one in a junk yard.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
-How difficult would it be to upgrade and replace the touch screen system afterwards? (How long would you expect something like this to not be available?)
-Something stupid, like the extra sound deadening material to add yourself to the tops?

There are things I'd like to get and install later, if I don't have to jump up to the upper tier trims if I don't have to.

From the views I got of the two door, it won't be like popping out an old school factory stereo. There were no obvious seams in the dash so you'd likely have to replace the whole dash with the screen. That's also assuming there's no differences behind the screen. It's unlikely but it could be a completely different system between the two.

Same as above. The camera system may depend on a different system behind the dash. This one, at least, is probably easier to go aftermarket on.

I imagine eventually you'll be able to get a replacement top. It definitely won't be in 2021 or 2022. Maybe not 23 or 24. But eventually.

Sound deadening is also that is better accomplished by the aftermarket if not included by the factory.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So this is my dilemma...

I'd like to finance the least amount of crap when it comes time to throw down cash and get the loan for this guy. I'm happy with purchasing items from Ford, Ford Performance, after market vendors, etc, after the fact in order to either have an additional item, additional upgrades install and OEM spares on hand, etc.

My question to you guys, as far as Ford experiences, after market items, Ford Performance items, etc, is, as examples:

-How difficult would it be to upgrade and replace the touch screen system afterwards? (How long would you expect something like this to not be available?) Nobody knows
-Add 360 Camera to the system if you don't get the corresponding package? Nobody knows
-Purchase the Modular Hard Top later? Nobody Knows
-Something stupid, like the extra sound deadening material to add yourself to the tops? Maybe but nobody knows

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cost prohibitive certainly. Would in the very least a complete new dash (based on production photos), plus the equipment, so you’re effectively paying for all the items twice. (Once for the 8” and dash, then again for the 12” and dash.) And this is without any insight on what programming / harness issues might exist.
See above, but I’ll add “practically impossible.” Running the harnesses and mounting the cameras... just the hardware headache alone, not to mention the programming / enabling of the option.

Pretty good chance, but availability may be lacking for at least a year or more, and prepare yourself to maybe have to get it painted on your own. More likely would be potentially buying one off of someone who got the dual top package but never used theres... but then you’re at the mercy of the market.

If you’re talking about the additional sound deadening that gets applied to the body structure... Possible, but you’ll never do as good as a job as the factory will unless you’re willing to basically disassemble the interior, apply matting, then reassemble. You might be able to do *some* but it would be waaaaaay too expensive to match what the factory can/will do before any components get installed into the body.

If you just mean the panels that go on the hardtop on the inside, that’s *super* easy. Research what is offered for Jeep’s for an indication on what price and effort might be.

Anything is possible with enough money, and finances are always tricky (sometimes it can be worth it to someone to spend more for something later that they can’t afford now), but I would do everything in your power to spec what you want now from your list.

(some exceptions can be radios and infotainment, but only when you want to ditch what the OEM offers for something else entirely... not when you want to do the factory upgrade yourself after you take delivery.)

All this is of course just my own humble opinion.

hickmanfab

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ZackDanger answered your questions directly, my take is below:

It is not a easy one to answer without knowing the price and what upgrades will be popular/available (new or used). No matter what you are going to wait at least a year before there's something available.

I've done quite a bit with my '18 F150 in terms of "OEM upgrades" It really depends what you want. For F150 there really isn't an option to buy individual items (i.e. 360 cameras) from the factory and most are packaged together. So you have to look at the item you want vs the package. For example I have upfitter switches in my XLT, that's only available in a Raptor. 40K vs 70K. Another is LED tails and head lights. To go form XLT 302A to lariat 502A is about 10-12K upgrade. LED and Tails costs ~2.5K plus install. But in the 10K you get leather seats, bliss, dual ac, cooled seats, and exterior trim "upgrades", power fold mirrors, and few other "cool" items. Most people do LED heads/tails and power fold mirrors (with spot/puddle lights), and leather seats. These all do not add up to 10k to do OEM, but takes time and effort. Another example is tow mirrors. These are a $350 upgrade from the factory, but are a $1,200 OEM after the fact. Google boostgreygoose and you can see a guy that took an XLT and made it into essentially a platinum. Albeit, he probably has more into that XLT then buying a platinum, but he also created a business out of the experience, learned a lot, and has a huge following.

I would expect the bronco to be the same. You can upgrade to a certain extent. However, you have to weigh what you are upgrading to vs the package that includes that upgrade. I expect things like leather, LED lights, or grille's to be "cheaper" then the package deal. conversely, Items like 360, sway disconnect, and navigation may be more hassle/costly then buying the package.

We may get lucky and be able to get certain popular upgrades a la carte at the time of order, but a dealer won't have something like that on the lot.

Last edited:

WoolyBugger

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline / 2dr. Base 7 spd. EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So this is my dilemma...

I reached out to a company named HotHeads. They make sound deadening aftermarket add ons for most Jeeps from what I can tell. The owner emailed me back and said that they will be selling same products for Bronco and they actually have a Bronco reservation in place ... I will probably wait on them as I have read that their products are superior to OEM. You can check them out on YouTube if interested.

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cost prohibitive certainly. Would in the very least a complete new dash (based on production photos), plus the equipment, so you’re effectively paying for all the items twice. (Once for the 8” and dash, then again for the 12” and dash.) And this is without any insight on what programming / harness issues might exist.

See above, but I’ll add “practically impossible.” Running the harnesses and mounting the cameras...

Pretty good chance, but availability may be lacking for at least a year or more, and prepare yourself to maybe have to get it painted on your own. More likely would be potentially buying one off of someone who got the dual top package but never used theres... but then you’re at the mercy of the market.

All this is of course just my own humble opinion.
@ZackDanger & @hickmanfab all points appreciated.

Thanks guys. I'm not a Ford Fan boy, I've never purchased a Ford before and a big reason I made this post is because a lot of you guys are and know what to expect from past experiences.

The other reason, as @WoolyBugger mentioned, my buddy who owns a few Jeeps happened to mention in passing, how Jeep offers the sound deadening items but easily found them aftermarket after his initial purchase at a quarter to an eighth of the price.

And you're surely right, "nobody knows", there are probably (most definitely) not going to be extra anything as far as extra offered accessories for a long time due to the demand and I should just package what I want.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks again guys.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I started swapping OE stereos ~45 years ago. Today, I almost never do because the manufacturers have started integrating other system functionality into the entertainment system.

For example, the HVAC controls in my 2018 F-150 are linked into the Sync 3 system (and it's annoying, as the auto HVAC doesn't start up until Sync 3 has finished "booting" -- not good when you get into a hot cab and want A/C NOW!)

I expect the Bronco's Sync 4 system to be even more integrated into the truck. Between that and the OE systems being quite a bit better than 40 years ago (not excellent, but serviceable), the effort and cost to replace and/or supplement the OE system (amps, etc.) isn't worth it to me.
Sponsored

Last edited: