Sponsored

Aftermarket alternatives to Factory Tow Package -- what about wiring?

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This may be a dumb question but if I drop my tow package option, I have already scene third party tow hitches, what about the wiring? Is it included in those, is it in the Broncos no matter what just doesn’t have a hitch? If it’s not, how hard is it to wire up? Or am I complicating this and all you do it just bolt up the aftermarket receiver and good to go?
Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you only tow a trailer off road you can just buy the aftermarket hitch. If you tow on road you will need the 4 pin adapter or the 7 pin (with brake control if you have a trailer with electric brakes). Google bronco trailer wiring.

OP
OP

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you only tow a trailer off road you can just buy the aftermarket hitch. If you tow on road you will need the 4 pin adapter or the 7 pin (with brake control if you have a trailer with electric brakes). Google bronco trailer wiring.
I would need the 4 pin for my side by side trailer. Thank you for the response

OP
OP

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like a pain in the a$$ to do

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This may be a dumb question but if I drop my tow package option, I have already scene third party tow hitches, what about the wiring? Is it included in those, is it in the Broncos no matter what just doesn’t have a hitch? If it’s not, how hard is it to wire up? Or am I complicating this and all you do it just bolt up the aftermarket receiver and good to go?
short version: if you need trailer lights then just keep the factory tow package

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

short version: if you need trailer lights then just keep the factory tow package
Meh, receiver and 4pin can be done DIY style for like 250 vs 595 for the ford package. With only 3500 lbs tow rating and most states not requiring trailer brakes until 3000lbs, there's an incredibly small subset of people who need the 7 pin.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It looks like a pain in the a$$ to do
It’s not, honestly. Contact @flip and he can set you up with a hitch and the converter box needed to make for an easy install. Even a caveman can do it! 😜

OP
OP

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appreciate the responses

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Personally, i wouldnt drop the tow package, and I didnt. It didn't slow my build, the MIC did. There are many adds that the factory puts into the tow package, especially the wiring and fusing, that IMO its not worth the perceived commodity delay or speed up it might cause. I've never regretted a factory tow package, but i have regretted the imperfection of an aftermarket tow package, especially the wiring harness. And even if you don't think you'll use it, you, or someone, one day, unexpectedly will need it. Just my experience.

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here are the hitch assembly and the wiring kit (4 pin) from Ford. I ordered a base so this was my only option. Decided to stick with Ford parts, although I know there are several other hitch options. Will probably have the dealer install when (if ever) I take delivery.
Ford Bronco Aftermarket alternatives to Factory Tow Package -- what about wiring? IMG_4971
Ford Bronco Aftermarket alternatives to Factory Tow Package -- what about wiring? IMG_4977

Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After installing my receiver and then looking into wiring for it. I would recommend paying up and having it installed by Factory. I opted out thinking it could delay my build. I don’t plan on towing and I never towed anything with any of my Jeep’s. Just racks. I do like a good tow package on my trucks. Anyway, $104 and change shipped is not a bad option. Just going to wait for a better plug in wiring for this. Curt 13493

0CACCA5F-18BD-47D4-B892-7AEF08264442.jpeg

7AC9DB84-0C35-45A6-826B-0DCCB2C4705B.jpeg

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re interested Curt has released both a hitch and wiring harness that is supposedly much easier to install than the factory kit…I’m thinking about this option for myself…

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re interested Curt has released both a hitch and wiring harness that is supposedly much easier to install than the factory kit…I’m thinking about this option for myself…
Any more info or link to this? Possibly interested since Ford is saying the tow package is a constraint again

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model