Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ve been thinking about cooled seats, they really are a great feature. I’m thinking about going Big Bend and getting Katzkin leather and Degreez for heat/cooling. The Degreez add-on is apparently only $500 or so. Has anyone ever added cooling to seats?
Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve been thinking about cooled seats, they really are a great feature. I’m thinking about going Big Bend and getting Katzkin leather and Degreez for heat/cooling. The Degreez add-on is apparently only $500 or so. Has anyone ever added cooling to seats?
Dude that Degreez option looks awesome.

r0skor0cker

Big Bend
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

r0skor0cker

Big Bend
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it ends up only being ~$500 I will be checking out that option as well

OP
OP
BroncoChicken

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Oh I see now, the blowers look just like the OEM ones. How about cooling the air though?
No idea, but they claim it isn’t just ventilation, it cools too. I haven’t had a chance to dig deep into how they work. I just know the Katzkin leather seems to have good reviews and for an additional $500, cooled seats are a no brainer.

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh I see now, the blowers look just like the OEM ones. How about cooling the air though? I might be missing it but how does it cool?
Sit on ice cubes, works for me?

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No idea, but they claim it isn’t just ventilation, it cools too. I haven’t had a chance to dig deep into how they work. I just know the Katzkin leather seems to have good reviews and for an additional $500, cooled seats are a no brainer.
Even if u got the cloth seats and wanted to upgrade to leather, katzkin is probably a lot cheaper than factory upgrade plus you can add the cooling feature

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh I see now, the blowers look just like the OEM ones. How about cooling the air though? I might be missing it but how does it cool?
Just like your house, takes the cool air out of warm air...

Do not know the science behind it, seems like voodoo to me but it works.. :cool:

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have not done the cooling but I do like that option...

When we upgrade cloth to leather in the shop we use Katzkins they are nice, fit great and look like factory leather seats...

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We have not done the cooling but I do like that option...

When we upgrade cloth to leather in the shop we use Katzkins they are nice, fit great and look like factory leather seats...
couldnt find pricing on ur website! is $500 about right? per seat?

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just like your house, takes the cool air out of warm air...

Do not know the science behind it, seems like voodoo to me but it works.. :cool:
Refrigeration/Air conditioning (the normal version): Compressor takes a low pressure, low(ish) temperature gas (R-134, R-12, R-236, propane, ammonia, several work--some are dangerous), makes it a high pressure, high temperature gas (by putting in work). High pressure gas goes to condenser, cools (a bit) to a high pressure liquid. High pressure liquid goes to an evaporator that expands it to a low pressure gas. This process drops the temperature dramatically. The evaporator is in your airbox, and the blower is forcing air over it, so it cools the air. The low pressure gas returns to the compressor. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can do something similar with thermoelectric chillers--you have a finned heat sink attached to a T/E cooler, and blow air across the fins. Running current through the T/E device pulls heat from the finned sink to the other side of the T/E plate, which is another heat sink, outside your "conditioned" volume.

In both of these, you generally put about 10-20W of power in for every 1W of heat you pull out of the air, which is why your refrigerator has warm air coming from the vents on the bottom.

Cooling 1 cubic foot per second of outside air from, say 90F to 70F is about 380W. That is probably close to the peak flow rate of an auto a/c blower, so about 1/2 Hp of cooling, 5-10 Hp pulled by the compressor...

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Refrigeration/Air conditioning (the normal version): Compressor takes a low pressure, low(ish) temperature gas (R-134, R-12, R-236, propane, ammonia, several work--some are dangerous), makes it a high pressure, high temperature gas (by putting in work). High pressure gas goes to condenser, cools (a bit) to a high pressure liquid. High pressure liquid goes to an evaporator that expands it to a low pressure gas. This process drops the temperature dramatically. The evaporator is in your airbox, and the blower is forcing air over it, so it cools the air. The low pressure gas returns to the compressor. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can do something similar with thermoelectric chillers--you have a finned heat sink attached to a T/E cooler, and blow air across the fins. Running current through the T/E device pulls heat from the finned sink to the other side of the T/E plate, which is another heat sink, outside your "conditioned" volume.

In both of these, you generally put about 10-20W of power in for every 1W of heat you pull out of the air, which is why your refrigerator has warm air coming from the vents on the bottom.

Cooling 1 cubic foot per second of outside air from, say 90F to 70F is about 380W. That is probably close to the peak flow rate of an auto a/c blower, so about 1/2 Hp of cooling, 5-10 Hp pulled by the compressor...
Just what I said VooDoo... :LOL: :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Sponsored