Sponsored

Aftermarket Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect?

62chad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Getting a wild trak. Do you think there will eventually be a aftermarket electronic sway bar disconnect available?
Checking the jeep forums there seems to be manual versions but no electronic.
Won't "sway" my decision...just curious
Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In looking at the end links, I would say a definite yes for the manual disconnect. I wouldn‘t bet on an aftermarket electric/hydraulic version.

EDIT:
There is nothing wrong with a manual setup. You just disconnect before wheeling. I did it for years on my Jeep.

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was curious as well.
The Black Diamond comes with the G.O.A.T. Rock Crawl mode, which electronically disconnects sway bar. But the BD doesn't come with SBD, so how will this work? Can SBD be added and programmed aftermarket??

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was curious as well.
The Black Diamond comes with the G.O.A.T. Rock Crawl mode, which electronically disconnects sway bar. But the BD doesn't come with SBD, so how will this work? Can SBD be added and programmed aftermarket??
Likely, like all of the GOAT modes, they effect throttle response and transfer case settings. For the Crawl mode, throttle is likely limited and the vehicle is automatically placed into 4L.

You can do all of these things yourself with driver skill and manually placing the truck into 4., but this makes it easier so you just focus on driving.

An aftermarket sway bar disconnect is for sure in the works and is more of a nice to have rather than wheeling requirement.

Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was curious as well.
The sway bar disconnect is only available on the Badlands and is hydraulic not electric. The hydraulic system allows for the disconnect under load. The biggest benefit is convenience IMHO. A surely developed aftermarket manual design will allow you to disconnect before you start wheeling.

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was wondering the same thing and I am guessing the switch for it is just a blank on the Hero panel still so already have a spot for it then, maybe??

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very doubtful. What you can hope for is a good convenient manual disconnect. However, it’s not a given that they will be made and available...They exist for Jeeps, but not so much for IFS off road vehicles, which makes it a pain. Try finding one for FJs, 4Runner, Tacos, Rangers and you’ll see the problem.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I somewhat doubt it. The potential cost vs the advantages over a manual disconnect dont make a lot of sense for an aftermarket component. Disconnecting manually is a minor inconvenience and I cant think of too many trails off the top of my head where you would "need" to reconnect.

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was wondering the same thing and I am guessing the switch for it is just a blank on the Hero panel still so already have a spot for it then, maybe??
If it isn’t installed in the vehicle I don’t think there’s a hero switch for it based on a lot of pictures floating around the badlands and FE models are the only two trims with a full set of hero switches the others just have 3 to 4 and then its open.

EDIT: Look at build and price it shows different hero switches for each model none of them have a blank hero switch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JMO, and I know everyone has a different situation, but just from purely a numbers perspective I can't imagine being able to justify retro fitting an auto-disconnect later on and getting even a similar outcome to the factory offering. Maybe there's a fun factor that some DIY'ers get out of rolling their own, you can't quantify that for anyone else nor should you feel like you have to. I genuinely mean this, I hope you do have fun with that.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In a few years they will be available from your local junkyard, as you "should" be able to get all of the required hardware items from a wrecked Bronco. Then you'll have to get someone with Fordscan (I think that's the software) to either unlock the feature or add the software to control it to your Bronco.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure some sort of aftermarket disconnect will eventually be available, but I highly doubt it will be comparable to the factory disconnect.

Electronically controlled, hydraulic disconnect that can engage and disengage under load. Not to mention the ability to have it do so automatically based on vehicle speed.

You'd be extremely lucky to get two of those features aftermarket.

Zackmd1

Outer Banks
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Ford Bronco 2dr Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Realistically there shouldn't be much stopping you from swapping the OEM disconnect into the vehicle. The question is going to be how far Ford buried the system in the rest of the vehicle. What I mean by that is if it is hydraulic, there likely is some type of control valve of module that the button sends a command to operate/disconnect. If that module has 2 power leads and 2 CAN BUS leads then it should be extremely simple to install and have function just like OEM with the OEM switch. If however this module is interconnected with other modules like the PCM, BCM, etc... then it gets progressively harder install.
Sponsored