Sponsored

Aftermarket expanded fuel tank on the 2 door?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With one of the Aftermarket Exhaust that eliminates the stock muffler and opens up that area, a custom fuel cell could be added in that area that the original muffler was. Now with this location aft of the rear axle, there is a safety concern, as we don't want any Pinto issues....

....and if there is a tank designed for this area, previsions to still be able to mount the Raptor Tow Hitch Braces would be preferred.
With the lateral cross-member of the frame located at the rear where the tow hitch mounts, a fuel cell could be safely mounted where the stock muffler is.

People often refer to the Pinto, but you only need to look to the recent past of the Jeep Liberty that had a rear mounted fuel tank. With it being unibody construction, there was no protection in rear end collisions. Their decision at the time to address the safety issue was to add a tow hitch as part of a recall to add "armor" in the event of a rear end collision. But in reality, the tow hitch just makes a cleaner puncture in the fuel tank.

Another update. There is hope. 🙏🏻
1F4B79B2-CA3C-4337-827A-9977E484F710.jpeg
I'm curious if they are looking at the void adjacent to the drive shaft? When I crawled under a few weeks ago, I made note of a void located directly below where the driver's side rear passenger seat would be. There is nothing there and should be able to accommodate a reserve tank.

It won't alleviate the need to refill so frequently, but it could provide a 5 gallon reserve tank.
Sponsored

We_Love_Tacos

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition 2Dr Lightning Blue
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Latest update is that LRA changed their mind again and have no plans for the bronco. If you want them to make a tank for the bronco, blow up their emails and social media. It has to be a community outreach to them to get this done. I have bugged them so much I am shocked they haven't blocked me.

EBG

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71EB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There's room at the front of the stock tank, next to the transfer case, that would allow a few more gallons, if the tank was shaped to fit into that space. Lots of room under the floor, on the driver's side of the driveshaft for an aux. tank, if the exhaust pipe didn't take up so much room.

If the factory exhaust pipe was routed more efficiently (either down the center, next to and parallel with the driveshaft, or snugged up closer to the driver's side frame rail) there would be room for long, thin tank that could hold quite a bit - not as much as the stock tank, but close.
Sponsored