Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You wouldn’t disconnect it hauling ass period. It has a Baja mode that’s all no other designs.
No matter how many times this is said it won't sink in to peoples heads that ordered a WT. The WT is cool, it has neat graphics and blackout paint.....but that is it. It was NOT designed to be a "desert runner". It is a BB with the ability to get High and Lux with Sas, no better and no worse than any other Bronco that has Sas. Even the Base Sas is on par with the WT. Ford just loaded it up and let peoples imaginations take hold with a higher price.
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so for all you experienced offroaders: does it make sense to have a disco bar without having front lockers?
You could make up an off-camber descent scenario where it may help with stability. But in general, it would make no sense. You also need the badlands or sasquatch Bilstein shocks to see the full benefit of disconnect, because the bump stops inside the base shocks limit the articulation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caiden16

Caiden16

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
so for all you experienced offroaders: does it make sense to have a disco bar without having front lockers?
You can get by with a rear locker but with all Broncos you get front and rear with the sas package. The badlands has both without it.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can get by with a rear locker but with all Broncos you get front and rear with the sas package. The badlands has both without it.
You could make up an off-camber descent scenario where it may help with stability. But in general, it would make no sense. You also need the badlands or sasquatch Bilstein shocks to see the full benefit of disconnect, because the bump stops inside the base shocks limit the articulation.
I will have rear lockers only. Staying with stock 32's. Thanks for clarifying.

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The WT has an option of the hoss 3.0 package. The badlands has a 2.0?, if even? Is there an inherent weakness to not having stronger parts (steering effects)? I wish I could order the hoss 3.0 with a badlands.

Oh, the swaybar disconnect separates the BL from all the other models. If you get SAS, bigger engine, Lux...is it the way to go over a WT?

Sponsored

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I will have rear lockers only. Staying with stock 32's. Thanks for clarifying.
That is the way I went with my order. I had a triple locker 4runner and was actually able to talk with my wife how many times we needed the front locker. Twice, and we got stuck 3 times with it anyway. So I would put a winch as being more important than a front locker.

Shawnj73

Wildtrak
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am not sure what the big deal is on factory sway/stay bar disconnects,. Does it look cool when your Bronco is all flexed out and you disconnect the sway/stay bar, and then see it settle while under load? The answer is yes, it looks cool. However, I have to ask the question, if you are wheeling to the point where you need to disconnect the sway /stay bar, then why is your stay/sway bar connected in the first place?

Here is the real break down. A standard 2.3 or 2.7 Badlands non-Sasquatch has 4.16 gears. if you get a Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch you get 4.7 gears. Mechanically this is the same as the Wildtrak. They both have the Haas 2.O standard suspension, and believe you could have upgraded to the Haas 3.0 on both vehicles. Other than that they are the same. Model options and pricing are the real difference.

Now to the Sway/Stay Bar disconnect, it is a marketing thing. If you are going to actually take your new 55+k Bronco wheeling, I hope your are already aware that you will always be airing down your tires before hitting the trails and back up before heading home. If you are going to air down every time you wheel, you can quickly disconnect the sway/stay bar by buying a quick disconnect kit. These kits range from 200 to 300 bucks. I personally have never been out wheeling where I waned to disconnect and reconnect the Sway/Stay Bar while on the trail. Once you have the Quick Disconnects installed, it literally takes less than a minute to disconnect while airing down, and about the same to reconnect when you are airing up to head home. If you are not taking the vehicle wheeling, I can not see any use for this option, other than the fact you can say you have the option.

As for adding the Rock G.O.A.T mode to the Wildtrak. It can be added for less than 60 bucks. All kinds of youtube videos out there that shows you how this is done. I have done this hack to my Wildtrak, and have used it. The Rock GOAT mode sets everything up, but cannot automatically disengage the sway/stay bar and nor can it re-engage the sway/stay bar at 25 miles per hour, because the hardware physically does not exist. However all other functions of the Rock GOAT mode work, Including features like shifting into 4 low, automatically, disengaging or engaging traction control, locking differentials, throttle adjustment, tranny adjustment to hold gears longer all for less wheel slippage all work. Keep in mind that you can do almost everything that the GOAT mode does manually if you do not feel comfortable flashing your vehicle.

The only other option that the Badlands has that the Wildtrak does not have, is those factory rock sliders. If you need to have OEM Ford rock sliders on your Wildtrak, there are plenty of used ones available on eBay. In my opinion, there are a lot of after market Rock Sliders out there that function and look much better than the factory ones, hence the reason you can find used ones on eBay.😂.

So to sum it all up. If you must have everything from Ford, buy a first edition. If bought a bad Badlands, added the 2.7, and the Sasquatch package. Then flash controller to add Baja GOAT Mode you
basically have a first edition, if you bought a WildTrak you can add the factory sway/stay bar Disconect and 6 switch dash module for about $3200 bucks, however just a warning they are very hard to come by. I have been told that the wiring harness that are installed on the First Editions, Badlands, and Wildtraks are exactly the same. This should make the upgrade a labor intensive plug and play. You will still need to flash your Bronco to add Rock GOAT mode, and.add factory rock sliders and then you basically have a First Edition.

For Wildtrak owners another option is for 300 dollars buy a manual sway/stay bar quick disconnects, get a custom set of rock sliders, and a lastly flash your Bronco to add Rock GOAT mode. This will allow you to basically equip you factory Wildtrak minus the factory sway/stay bar disconnect on the dash to a better looking First Edition equivalent,. 😀

For Ford it is all marketing. I get it, First Edition owners, Badlands owners and Wildtrak owners all want to think they got something special, but at the end of the day they are the same. How you equip them with the options, the costs of the options, and options that and there availability on the different trim levels is the only true differences.

I hope this helps. I looked into adding the sway/stay bar OEM disco to my Wildtrak Bronco when I first got it. I searched high and low for information about doing this upgrade. I reached out to local techs, ford, and the online community to get information about doing this mod. After all the research, I concluded that the money would be better spent upgrading the suspension or adding things like a wench, lights, exhaust, intake, etc, This is just my opinion. I hope the above Information is helpful.

NWGS

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Viper 20 Gladiator 05 SQ5 85 bmw 535I 13 Wrangl
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am not sure what the big deal is on factory sway/stay bar disconnects,. Does it look cool when your Bronco is all flexed out and you disconnect the sway/stay bar, and then see it settle while under load? The answer is yes, it looks cool. However, I have to ask the question, if you are wheeling to the point where you need to disconnect the sway /stay bar, then why is your stay/sway bar connected in the first place?

Here is the real break down. A standard 2.3 or 2.7 Badlands non-Sasquatch has 4.16 gears. if you get a Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch you get 4.7 gears. Mechanically this is the same as the Wildtrak. They both have the Haas 2.O standard suspension, and believe you could have upgraded to the Haas 3.0 on both vehicles. Other than that they are the same. Model options and pricing are the real difference.

Now to the Sway/Stay Bar disconnect, it is a marketing thing. If you are going to actually take your new 55+k Bronco wheeling, I hope your are already aware that you will always be airing down your tires before hitting the trails and back up before heading home. If you are going to air down every time you wheel, you can quickly disconnect the sway/stay bar by buying a quick disconnect kit. These kits range from 200 to 300 bucks. I personally have never been out wheeling where I waned to disconnect and reconnect the Sway/Stay Bar while on the trail. Once you have the Quick Disconnects installed, it literally takes less than a minute to disconnect while airing down, and about the same to reconnect when you are airing up to head home. If you are not taking the vehicle wheeling, I can not see any use for this option, other than the fact you can say you have the option.

As for adding the Rock G.O.A.T mode to the Wildtrak. It can be added for less than 60 bucks. All kinds of youtube videos out there that shows you how this is done. I have done this hack to my Wildtrak, and have used it. The Rock GOAT mode sets everything up, but cannot automatically disengage the sway/stay bar and nor can it re-engage the sway/stay bar at 25 miles per hour, because the hardware physically does not exist. However all other functions of the Rock GOAT mode work, Including features like shifting into 4 low, automatically, disengaging or engaging traction control, locking differentials, throttle adjustment, tranny adjustment to hold gears longer all for less wheel slippage all work. Keep in mind that you can do almost everything that the GOAT mode does manually if you do not feel comfortable flashing your vehicle.

The only other option that the Badlands has that the Wildtrak does not have, is those factory rock sliders. If you need to have OEM Ford rock sliders on your Wildtrak, there are plenty of used ones available on eBay. In my opinion, there are a lot of after market Rock Sliders out there that function and look much better than the factory ones, hence the reason you can find used ones on eBay.😂.

So to sum it all up. If you must have everything from Ford, buy a first edition. If bought a bad Badlands, added the 2.7, and the Sasquatch package. Then flash controller to add Baja GOAT Mode you
basically have a first edition, if you bought a WildTrak you can add the factory sway/stay bar Disconect and 6 switch dash module for about $3200 bucks, however just a warning they are very hard to come by. I have been told that the wiring harness that are installed on the First Editions, Badlands, and Wildtraks are exactly the same. This should make the upgrade a labor intensive plug and play. You will still need to flash your Bronco to add Rock GOAT mode, and.add factory rock sliders and then you basically have a First Edition.

For Wildtrak owners another option is for 300 dollars buy a manual sway/stay bar quick disconnects, get a custom set of rock sliders, and a lastly flash your Bronco to add Rock GOAT mode. This will allow you to basically equip you factory Wildtrak minus the factory sway/stay bar disconnect on the dash to a better looking First Edition equivalent,. 😀

For Ford it is all marketing. I get it, First Edition owners, Badlands owners and Wildtrak owners all want to think they got something special, but at the end of the day they are the same. How you equip them with the options, the costs of the options, and options that and there availability on the different trim levels is the only true differences.

I hope this helps. I looked into adding the sway/stay bar OEM disco to my Wildtrak Bronco when I first got it. I searched high and low for information about doing this upgrade. I reached out to local techs, ford, and the online community to get information about doing this mod. After all the research, I concluded that the money would be better spent upgrading the suspension or adding things like a wench, lights, exhaust, intake, etc, This is just my opinion. I hope the above Information is helpful.
I bought a wildtrak without properly researching it. Like an idiot I assumed it would have it. I have a artificial hip from a combat injury. So climbing under is not a option. If you did all the research could you please give me the part numbers for the disconnect and switch panel. Thanks!

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

or, just keep this to a few words and say get a Badlands and add the HOSS 3.0 at the dealership and go. sport mode is not necessary for most but the rock climbing is certainly a fun one to have.

Xjeepowner

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 16 JKU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only goat mode I use is sport when I’m driving on the street. Makes it a lot of fun.
Most experienced drivers don’t use goat modes off road they know what to do. I think the goat modes are great for nubbies, but I doubt I’ll ever use them off road. I’ve never seen a badlands be able to conquer an obstacle that any other Sas Bronco couldn’t. I had sway bar disconnect on my Jeep and rarely used it.

StinkBug

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It absolutely makes sense. If you don't have lockers as soon as a tire lifts all the power goes to the tire flailing in mid air. You want to keep the tires on the ground as much as possible. Having the sway bar disconnected means the tires stay on the ground more, which means more traction. It's really that simple.

I originally ordered a badlands specifically because it was the only way to get the electronic disconnect. Ford took 19 months to build it, and before that they threatened not to build it if I didn't drop options that I found mandatory, so I went shopping and ended up with a wildtrak. It had all the options I had to have, but like someone else said, as far as off-road capability goes, it's a sticker package. I had to shake my head at the plastic bumpers and lack of metal skid plates.

Most of the things the wildtrak is lacking can be added aftermarket, but the sway bar was a biggie for me. I spent some time researching and bought the assembly from a dealer on ebay and recently got it installed. I just posted a video showing how to do the same. Total cost was about $1600

Sponsored