Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Expedition, 09' FEH, 68' Mercury Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Moved to Cape Cod 18 months ago for a new career. It’s a nice place with an ocean, but I do miss the mountains. Also I miss living somewhere where things don’t rust and people didn’t hate guns. My old job required 45+ weeks per year of travel, my new job has me home every night, so it’s a different quality of life for my wife and I. There are still cool things to do here.

CB33CD57-1476-493B-B425-DA1BD17CA6BA.jpeg

D5B346BD-2A0A-4A9B-9E51-3D01DC102B26.jpeg
Got it! Congrats on the new career and chapter in your life. Seems like a good change. I'm sure your Bronco will enjoy playing in and around Cape Cod!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Guys, I'm glad to report that I can check off Schnebly Hill Road from my list. I will definitely be going back.

The trail was open all the way through so I decided to take it from the 17 down into Sedona. I got on the trail at 8:30ish, but I stopped as soon as I got on it to air down. So I technically started around 8:45am. After reading all of the different comments and opinions I decided to air down to 28psi.

First 1/4 of the trail is not too bumpy, but after that it is definitely rocky. Bumpy is not an understatement. We finished the trail at around 11:50am. I'm sure people can do it in less time, but I had my daughters and wife in the Bronco as well, so we stopped lots of times for pictures. Pink Jeeps and other drivers go pretty fast over the rocks, faster than I thought, I wasn't willing to risk it so I took my time. However, as I went along the trail I got more and more comfortable with my Bronco and gained confidence that picking up the pace I wouldn't really cause harm to it.

Everyone on the road was super friendly. The Pink Jeep guys and a few others would stop to ask how I liked the Bronco. I didnt see any other Broncos on the trail.

I'll definitely be going back and once I build up my skills and confidence maybe I can hit Schnebly Hill Road and Broken Arrow in one day.

Now to review some the items I bought to air down and air up. The All Top compressor worked great. I had read reviews that the power cord was pretty short compared to others, but I didn't find it to be an issue. The air hose is more than long enough. It didn't take long to air up, but remember, I went up from 28psi to 40psi. I'm sure it would have taken longer if I was around 20psi. Interesting thing I noticed was that the compressor itself was not really hot, but the hose was pretty damn hot when I was done. Especially closer to the compressor. Glad I had gloves to disconnect it. Maybe I did something wrong, but I thought that was something to note.

As for airing down, I have the Boulder Tools Tire Deflator Kit. I was pretty sure I set them to air down to 28psi, but when they stopped the tires were actually at 32psi. It wasn't a big deal to take care of the additional 4psi manually, but I was a little disappointed. I'll keep practicing because chances are the tools work, I'm just new and I might not be doing it correctly. Time will tell. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps someone who is in the same shoes I was a couple of days ago. I'll post pics right after, this was already long enough.
Looks like y’all had a fantastic time. I can’t wait for my trip this Friday. We are going to schnebly hill on Saturday. It took y’all 3 hours to do the whole trail? I thought it was closer to 2.

I’m going to have to test out before hand the boulder deflator kit I bought with the compressor since I’ve never used either before. Any tips on the deflator since first time using it?

I’ll have to post some pics when I get back next week.

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like y’all had a fantastic time. I can’t wait for my trip this Friday. We are going to schnebly hill on Saturday. It took y’all 3 hours to do the whole trail? I thought it was closer to 2.

I’m going to have to test out before hand the boulder deflator kit I bought with the compressor since I’ve never used either before. Any tips on the deflator since first time using it?

I’ll have to post some pics when I get back next week.
It took us more than 2 hours because we stopped several times to take pics and explore the surrounding area. Didn't feel like 3 hours though.

I would say practice much as you can with the deflators. I only practiced once before my trip and that's when I set them at 28psi (or at least I thought I did). Also, if you're dropping in from the 17 be sure to air down in an area that isn't near anyone camping. I was on the trail early and it was somewhat loud when deflating.

I could have probably gone down the trail a little faster, but being that it was my first time, I wanted to take my time and take in the whole adventure. Plus, I timed it right and got into Sedona at lunch time. Stopped at Oak Creek Brewery for some well deserved beers and had a picnic with my girls at a nearby park.

My wife got out a few times on the trail to recod the Bronco in action with our gopro. She's hooked, she wants to do more filming and get better shots. LoL!

You'll have a blast. Excited to hear about your trip on Schnebly Hill. Happy Easter!

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It took us more than 2 hours because we stopped several times to take pics and explore the surrounding area. Didn't feel like 3 hours though.
Yeah, if it's your first time, you'll definitely want to take your time. There's a great little hike around Carousel Rock about midway down, and you could spend more than a couple hours when you stop for photos and to take in the scenery.
I would say practice much as you can with the deflators. I only practiced once before my trip and that's when I set them at 28psi (or at least I thought I did). Also, if you're dropping in from the 17 be sure to air down in an area that isn't near anyone camping. I was on the trail early and it was somewhat loud when deflating.
TIP: If you're deflators are adjustable, use them on bicycle tires to get them dialed in - way faster to keep re-inflating a bike tire.

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, if it's your first time, you'll definitely want to take your time. There's a great little hike around Carousel Rock about midway down, and you could spend more than a couple hours when you stop for photos and to take in the scenery.

TIP: If you're deflators are adjustable, use them on bicycle tires to get them dialed in - way faster to keep re-inflating a bike tire.
That tip is genius!!!!

Sponsored

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing a ton of info. I'm a rookie and hoping you won't mind sharing some additional info. I have the OB non SAS, in your opinion what can't I do that SAS can. How low can I take my tires on the standard OB wheels without much risk as I gain some experience.
You could easily air down to 18/20 psi without worrying, especially if you don't lead-foot it to get wheel spin.
What trails would you recommend that a novice would enjoy and gain some valuable experience? I've taken it down Camp Creek a couple times with out-of-towners which was fun but I know this was little kid stuff.
I'd recommend getting the Charles Wells' book - it's a great resource with trail ratings, turn by turn directions with mileage markers, and more.
Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 3rd Edition

I live up right near Cave Creek, so if you're ever heading up there let me know - I'd be happy to share tips/pointers and spot you through some obstacles that would impress you with what you and your Bronco can do.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting thing I noticed was that the compressor itself was not really hot, but the hose was pretty damn hot when I was done. Especially closer to the compressor. Glad I had gloves to disconnect it. Maybe I did something wrong, but I thought that was something to note.
You didn't do anythying wrong - all pumps generate heat - especially where the air exits the pump. My ARB single cylinder gets so hot I have to use gloves to disconnect the air hose or suffer burns. That's also why the ARB can air up the first tire in 3 minutes, but the 4th tire takes 7-8 due to the pump's heat.

I recommend wearing gloves whenever your using tools outside the vehicle, especially in AZ with all the prickly fauna that can decide to stick to hoses, tires, and straps.

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You didn't do anythying wrong - all pumps generate heat - especially where the air exits the pump. My ARB single cylinder gets so hot I have to use gloves to disconnect the air hose or suffer burns. That's also why the ARB can air up the first tire in 3 minutes, but the 4th tire takes 7-8 due to the pump's heat.

I recommend wearing gloves whenever your using tools outside the vehicle, especially in AZ with all the prickly fauna that can decide to stick to hoses, tires, and straps.
Yeah, definitely glad I carry gloves. Also, thanks for the tip to try out one pedal drive. Made it so much nicer to enjoy the trail.

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You could easily air down to 18/20 psi without worrying, especially if you don't lead-foot it to get wheel spin.

I'd recommend getting the Charles Wells' book - it's a great resource with trail ratings, turn by turn directions with mileage markers, and more.

I live up right near Cave Creek, so if you're ever heading up there let me know - I'd be happy to share tips/pointers and spot you through some obstacles that would impress you with what you and your Bronco can do.
Man...sign me up for that too, I'd like to see if we can meet up one day. After my first taste I want more, I think it might be a little addictive. Kinda like when you get your first tattoo and you want more right away. LoL!

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man...sign me up for that too, I'd like to see if we can meet up one day. After my first taste I want more, I think it might be a little addictive. Kinda like when you get your first tattoo and you want more right away. LoL!
I was thinking about Schnebly Hill & Broken Arrow Sunday May 1st, but still working out the schedule for that one.

Otherwise my Saturday's free up on May so maybe a Camp Creek Wash run exiting out on a powerline trail...

Sponsored

chill57

Outer Banks
First Name
Clesson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Really appreciate the info and book recommendation. I look forward to the opportunity to be taught a few skills. Really enjoyed Vegas Off-Roadeo and was definitely impressed with the SAS Bronco.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really appreciate the info and book recommendation. I look forward to the opportunity to be taught a few skills. Really enjoyed Vegas Off-Roadeo and was definitely impressed with the SAS Bronco.
I'd like to get out at least a couple more times before the summer heat is upon us. I'll try to get something on the books. Not sure where the best place to post the trail run info would be though.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

2nd on the Wells book. I should get the 3rd addition as my 1st edition is mostly a pile of loose pages at this point.

I'm in Carefree, so near you. Been meaning to hit camp creek/powerline trail. I used to live in Rio Verde foothills and would take the back way to needle rock all the time.
Tacoma = fun in sand
F-350 = No fun in sand - hop, hop, hop untill your fillings are all out
Bronco = What sand?

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2nd on the Wells book. I should get the 3rd addition as my 1st edition is mostly a pile of loose pages at this point.

I'm in Carefree, so near you. Been meaning to hit camp creek/powerline trail. I used to live in Rio Verde foothills and would take the back way to needle rock all the time.
Tacoma = fun in sand
F-350 = No fun in sand - hop, hop, hop untill your fillings are all out
Bronco = What sand?
Seeing as we have *similar* avatars, it makes me wonder if Ford actually takes a picture of each different vehicle when it exits the assembly line or if they just use the same photos for people with the same color/trim... :unsure::ROFLMAO:

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In our cases, there are different Broncos in the background, so if it's the same photo, at least they've put a little effort into PhotoShop :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored