Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Expedition, 09' FEH, 68' Mercury Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

MAN I AM GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD! It answered all or most of my questions. Taking my BD SAS Bronco to Schnebly Hill for its first dirt this Friday!!! I'm totally new to Off-Roading and the community, aside from doing the OFF-ROADEO in Nevada.

Glad to hear it's open all the way through, I want to start at the top from the 17 and work my way down into Sedona. Is there a good place/site to check the status of it on the day of? Taking my wife and 2 daughters.

Was wondering about airing down. If I didn't find an answer I was planning on airing down to 29-30psi. Based on some of the info here I might just stay there unless the rocks look a lot more jagged or the ride is too harsh.

I saw some people mention air compressors. I bought this on amazon and I'm going to test it out for this trip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08637KCWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought this to air down
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0L7JS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really wanted to buy more expensive brand names, like the ARB portable compressor, but being that I am brand new, I figured I can get my feet wet with these items and replace them when and if they break.

I'll let you guys know how these 2 items worked and if OP doesn't mind I can share some of my experience when I get back. SO FREAKING EXCITED!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These are 2 trails I look forward to doing, probably next year as I'm still waiting. How is camping on Schnebly? I plan to get there early evening/ late afternoon and hit a camping spot close to the start then next morning run both trails. Any time of year to avoid?
Thanks.
I know there are spots on the trail to camp but I believe you need a permit. This trail worked perfect for us since we are coming from Houston Mesa Campground heading to Mather Campground for the Grand Canyon.

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

MAN I AM GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD! It answered all or most of my questions. Taking my BD SAS Bronco to Schnebly Hill for its first dirt this Friday!!! I'm totally new to Off-Roading and the community, aside from doing the OFF-ROADEO in Nevada.

Glad to hear it's open all the way through, I want to start at the top from the 17 and work my way down into Sedona. Is there a good place/site to check the status of it on the day of? Taking my wife and 2 daughters.

Was wondering about airing down. If I didn't find an answer I was planning on airing down to 29-30psi. Based on some of the info here I might just stay there unless the rocks look a lot more jagged or the ride is too harsh.

I saw some people mention air compressors. I bought this on amazon and I'm going to test it out for this trip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08637KCWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought this to air down
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0L7JS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really wanted to buy more expensive brand names, like the ARB portable compressor, but being that I am brand new, I figured I can get my feet wet with these items and replace them when and if they break.

I'll let you guys know how these 2 items worked and if OP doesn't mind I can share some of my experience when I get back. SO FREAKING EXCITED!
Thanks for the post! I’m totally looking forward to it. The air down kit you bought is the exact same one I got. I get it tomorrow so I’ll test it out of course first. I haven’t decided just yet on a air compressor. I’m with you though I didn’t want to spend a ridiculous amount starting off on a compressor.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ya ended up deleting that post because I found the answer to that question. Thanks tho!!

Also, thanks for all the responses sorry about All the new off-roading questions. Just wanted To make sure airing down to 20 or 25 wouldn’t cause any issues.

At least I’m not keeping it on pavement!
If it helps, when I was at the Off-Rodero they had aired down their tires to 23-25 if that helps.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it helps, when I was at the Off-Rodero they had aired down their tires to 23-25 if that helps.
They're conservative on airing down for the Off-Roadeo. They would rather have ride be a bit harsher than have to deal with reseating tire beads from inexperienced drivers who are a little too overzealous with the throttle.

I usually air down to somewhere between 13-15. Gives the tire a significantly larger contact patch, and is even more forgiving on washboards/bumps/babyheads.

For air compressors, I've use an ARB single cylinder for over a decade. Gets slow in the heat and by the 4th tire.

I recently got the NAPA branded version that exists in about 8 other branded labels. It fills all 4 35s from 15 to 40psi in about 4 minutes. I've only used it twice so far, but it is FAST. CAUTION: It does not have a pressure-sensor cutoff, so do NOT run it where it will over-pressurize, or goodbye pump.

It's usually out of stock, but on sale you can get it for under $100. Other branded versions of the exact same thing exist for more (and some include the cutoff switch).

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTWM10215C

After my two uses, I highly recommend it for the speed. As for reliability, that has yet to be seen.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the tires you've got, you're not going to notice too much of a difference between 45 psi on the road and 29psi on the trail. Bumps will still bump, you're going downhill where gravity is your friend, and there's no serious obstacle where you need any amount of extra of traction.

Make sure you try out the One Pedal Driving on your descent - it's pretty awesome.

If you're going to run Broken Arrow as well (which I'd highly recommend), I'd suggest at least low 20s for a bit more traction/comfort. Since it's a short jaunt through town to get to Broken Arrow, you don't need to air up - besides, I'd recommend dropping the top and go the speed limit (or slower) as you go through town taking in the red rocks.

The thing that causes a tire to unseat a bead is excessive wheel spin w/VERY low tire pressures - you'd have to drive like Mario Andretti on fentanyl to unseat a bead at 20psi.

If you can find the NAPA MaxiTrack in stock, I'd recommend returning your single pump (which looks like it's made by the same mfg with a few different parts) and get the dual pump. NAPA sells it for $128, and it's twice as fast:

Yes, please post pics and your impressions!

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Expedition, 09' FEH, 68' Mercury Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the tires you've got, you're not going to notice too much of a difference between 45 psi on the road and 29psi on the trail. Bumps will still bump, you're going downhill where gravity is your friend, and there's no serious obstacle where you need any amount of extra of traction.

Make sure you try out the One Pedal Driving on your descent - it's pretty awesome.

If you're going to run Broken Arrow as well (which I'd highly recommend), I'd suggest at least low 20s for a bit more traction/comfort. Since it's a short jaunt through town to get to Broken Arrow, you don't need to air up - besides, I'd recommend dropping the top and go the speed limit (or slower) as you go through town taking in the red rocks.

The thing that causes a tire to unseat a bead is excessive wheel spin w/VERY low tire pressures - you'd have to drive like Mario Andretti on fentanyl to unseat a bead at 20psi.

If you can find the NAPA MaxiTrack in stock, I'd recommend returning your single pump (which looks like it's made by the same mfg with a few different parts) and get the dual pump. NAPA sells it for $128, and it's twice as fast:

Yes, please post pics and your impressions!
Thanks man, great info! Really going to look into that double pump.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are 2 trails I look forward to doing, probably next year as I'm still waiting. How is camping on Schnebly? I plan to get there early evening/ late afternoon and hit a camping spot close to the start then next morning run both trails. Any time of year to avoid?
Thanks.
There are some great camping spots up in the pines the first couple miles before you start your descent.

Schnebly Hill Rd is closed in the winter - usually opens in April/May.

Try to avoid the weekends, especially for Broken Arrow. Mornings are less busy on the arrow as well.

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd recommend starting at the top of Schnebly Hill Rd (near Flagstaff) and descending into Sedona - you get waaaay better views.

If you start in the morning, you'll get into Sedona around lunch time, and could go to Broken Arrow in the afternoon - your Black Diamond should have no issues running it, and you get more amazing views.

I'm planning a Schnebly/Broken Arrow run for either April 24th or May 1st if anyone is interested.
Dont think ill have mine by then, but may have it for Memorial Day weekend when im heading up there? I did hit the local area trails, Rio Trail Apha, Bulldog canyon, Butcher Jones, ect.... in my Jeep and Power Wagon.... looking forward to testing out the bronco.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cordless pumps reviewed
You're gonna get one, maybe two 35" tires re-inflated with a battery-powered pump.

I have an alternate-branded version of that tiny Chinese Harbor Freight/Pittsburg pump that I use for bicycle tires and soccer balls. I used it on 30" tires and that thing gets HOOOOOT. Burned my hand on it.