Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Over my years of owning a ton of cars, I've done everything from using oem air filters, to K&N "oiled" air filters, to the newer performance Dry/Reusable air filters.

Not really looking for a debate on performance, as I've said, I've used them all, and even had built my own CFM test to compare.

HOWEVER, it was always for street use. I've never focused on what type of Air filter is best for off road, with all the extra dirt, mud, water, and dust elements.

I really like the idea of reusable filters, but I really am concerned about the filtration effectiveness while driving in a dust cloud off road

What route/types of Air Filter do you guys use and any long term facts or Black Labs results to back up your selection?
Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two stage dry filter box mounted on a flat plane so heavy particles can drop out when you shut it off. Built a system like this for the military to use in the deserts. Don’t have any test data since I only did the prototype of it, but the configuration was what the smart people wanted. I was only tasked with designing the pieces, building it and making it an easy retrofit in the field.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I only ever use OEM filters. Most modern intakes are designed so well that most aftermarket intakes and filters are a downgrade. You won't see any performance upgrade from a filter, so why sacrifice longevity?

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was wondering if there would be a benefit for having a different one based on driving situation. But probably not possible if you upgrade to a cool air intake like Roush... maybe see if there are pics from the Baja 1000 Bronco...

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OEM for sure. People swear by K&N, I drank that koolaid for a while. Hold a K&N up to the sunlight and you will see how they filter, badly. If you can see through a filter it is not much of a filter. My intake and MAFS stay clean ever since ditching K&N, that is my only real world test results.

Just carry a spare OEM if your on an off road journey.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OEM with more frequent inspections based on conditions.
This! The air filtration system of a purpose build off road vehicle was designed for off road conditions, so use common sense and if running dirt roads a lot (especially behind other rigs) inspect and replace as needed.

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm and old dirt bike guy...foam filters ( UNI) with heavy grease at inlet and sticky oil in the foam...
auto/truck always had good luck with WIX ( they have a listing for 4cyl Ranger, WA10909...I'm sure Bronco will follow https://www.wixfilters.com/Products.aspx?ct=plaf )...UNI ( https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/accessories/) sells sheets of their foam in different "grits/openings"...you would have to engineer some kind of two stage filter catching the big stuff first ( coarse foam) and then a final dry/paper filter IMO...a trip down to the dealer to look at Rangers ( if they have any in stock!)....hth

Santos

Badlands
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977F100:1970 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is the Bronco intake filter area is a"baffled" design to divert water out of the system, so wouldnt that divert heavy particulates out also? I agree with most that have stated stay OEM.

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have an AEM dry/resuable filter in my car which I really like but if oem/cotton/paper ones are better for filtration off road. I'll stick with those.

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150,mustang gt conv, e250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OEM for sure. People swear by K&N, I drank that koolaid for a while. Hold a K&N up to the sunlight and you will see how they filter, badly. If you can see through a filter it is not much of a filter. My intake and MAFS stay clean ever since ditching K&N, that is my only real world test results.

Just carry a spare OEM if your on an off road journey.
I think you were in error here sir being able to see through an air filter is exactly what you should be able to do as a Master Mechanic who has been servicing off road equipment for 40 years I will tell you that it is more harmful to over service an air cleaner as they all operate with a bit of a restriction and a new filter is intended to plug up a little bit so it's provide a modicum of restriction and if after cleaning your air filter tapping it out lightly not using compressed air but tapping out lately you cannot see daylight it is ready to replace

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you were in error here sir being able to see through an air filter is exactly what you should be able to do as a Master Mechanic who has been servicing off road equipment for 40 years I will tell you that it is more harmful to over service an air cleaner as they all operate with a bit of a restriction and a new filter is intended to plug up a little bit so it's provide a modicum of restriction and if after cleaning your air filter tapping it out lightly not using compressed air but tapping out lately you cannot see daylight it is ready to replace
I guess my point is if you can see through an air filter how is it trapping fine dirt particulates? I maybe could clarify I am taking about actual tiny open gaps, not just light and dark.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess my point is if you can see through an air filter how is it trapping fine dirt particulates? I maybe could clarify I am taking about actual tiny open gaps, not just light and dark.
Your point is correct. K&N states that their filters work better once they get a little dirty, instead of admitting that they let through a lot of dirt when they are new. 🤦‍♂️

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I run wix OEM replacements and I live on gravel.

Engines with turbos can pull more air and dirt thru a filter, reusable filters have "dusted" many a turbo diesel.
Sponsored