First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t get on here as often as I would like to, so if there is any delay in responding, please accept my apologies. I’ll try and keep up through email notifications.

As this could affect a lot of us here, I wanted to make you all aware:

Some of you may be aware of the recent AirTag situation where people are using them to track others.

After leaving an industry gala Thursday evening, I was driving. While driving, I don’t answer my phone unless an alert goes through Apple CarPlay, but I have my phone on Do Not Disturb from 9pm to 8am, so all alerts were silent.
May be worth mentioning, at the event, we parked in the hotel’s parking garage.
I got home, went into the kitchen and placed my handbag and phone on the counter when I noticed an alert (you’ll see photos on this post, the alert I received was from the Find My iPhone app stating “Unknown Accessory Detected Near You.”)
When I clicked on the alert, it showed that a portion of our route home was tracked, the red circles in the other photo indicating where my location update was seen. The alerts stopped at the entrance to our neighborhood.
We checked our clothes, my bag, shoes, and everywhere outside and inside of the Bronco that we could.

As the app suggested, we called our local PD, and two officers came by and started a case and also helped us search the Bronco. One of the officers also worked for Verizon, our provider, and instructed that we go to Verizon or contact Apple.

We downloaded an app called BLE Scanner 4.0 to see if any devices near the Bronco was trying to emit a Bluetooth signal.
My husband even went to the last location on the tracking map to see if he could find an AirTag but could not (it’s a busy area so we assume it was run over and destroyed, or ricocheted somewhere).

Do note that the owner of the AirTag can be retrieved through Apple by request of police (this is why it’s important to have a case number with the police and either Apple or your cell phone provider if you’re not an Apple owner) if you found it and have it in your possession.

I don’t have Android so I can’t speak on specifics of the steps needed to locate or report an AirTag with Apple if you have one.

These devices have been used to track people and vehicles, and I assume my Bronco was targeted as a two door hard top isn’t common at the moment, they don’t want my old ass.

I’ve been in contact with a local reporter that is calling me on Wednesday for one of her investigative reports.

Here is what Apple sent to me if you get a notification that an AirTag is found near you and what to give to police:

What to do if you find an AirTag or get an alert that an AirTag is with you https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212227
The law enforcement information they need to work with Apple is located at: https://www.apple.com/legal/transparency/government-information.html

I’ve included photos of both the alert I received from Find My IPhone, the map that tracked me, and links to recent TikToks that I received and saw recently about this.

Stay safe folks. Apple needs to get this under control. While I was talking to the first rep, during our call, the reports and comments on their site about this went from 34 to 98. It’s clearly an issue.

I’m a bit shaken up by this, obviously.

Also, you’ll see an option to disable it, but you cannot do this unless you have it.

4852838A-B460-4593-B58F-51EB5984A065.jpeg

68DDBD5B-6E78-43E6-B945-9A3FE3D6EBCC.jpeg
Sponsored

CjDuncan

Badlands
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow!! That is scary. Thanks for sharing and alerting us all to be aware of things lie this. Stay safe everyone.

OP
OP
_brand13_

_brand13_

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No someone put an Apple AirTag on the outside of my Bronco (they’re used to put on keys, purses,etc to track them so you don’t lose them). They’re about the size of a quarter, white, with the Apple logo. The app, Find My iPhone, detected one near me that had been following and tracking me.

OP
OP
_brand13_

_brand13_

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just another reason why my wife carries a gun.
They’re using them to track the vehicle, and as a friend with the government and the police shared with me, they’ll follow it, and when you’ve left it, they’ll steal the vehicle.

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You were right to file a police report. So you were not able to identify the AirTag in question that ended up following you?

This warning Apple included to warn users if an unknown item is “tracking them” (read: following their location, approximately, but not associated with their Apple ID) is showing its usefulness here.

Appreciate the heads up man.

PaulBrownSr

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borrowing lol
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you never actually found the device? Stay safe! So sorry this happened to you.

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So did you find the AirTag?

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Crazy! I live in Houston as well near JV. Was the tracker put on the Bronco in town or out in Katy? Any idea what they look like?

OP
OP
_brand13_

_brand13_

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You were right to file a police report. So you were not able to identify the AirTag in question that ended up following you?

This warning Apple included to warn users if an unknown item is “tracking them” (read: following their location, approximately, but not associated with their Apple ID) is showing its usefulness here.

Appreciate the heads up man.
We were not able to find it, it stopped tracking us and showing up on the map near a major intersection. My husband went out there to see if he could find it the next day but was unable to. It was probably destroyed as it hasn’t tracked again since 11pm Thursday. It fell off the vehicle at that point we are assuming.

Sponsored
OP
OP
_brand13_

_brand13_

Badlands
First Name
Brandie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Crazy! I live in Houston as well near JV. Was the tracker put on the Bronco in town or out in Katy? Any idea what they look like?
we were at an event in the Galleria area. It started tracking me while I was on I-10 near IKEA and then pinged me again by the Beltway, then fell off the vehicle before I got to my neighborhood.