Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is so alarming to me that even though it is part of another thread I think it should have its own:

Excerpts:

Did my first oil change at about 1600 miles today. Installed the Ronin plug. - I got 6.5 quartz of oil out of the engine. I had the vehicle tilted towards the passenger side.
Replaced the oil with Full Synthetic NOT the Blend.

buzpro said:
Did my first oil change at about 1600 miles today. Installed the Ronin plug. - I got 6.5 quartz of oil out of the engine. I had the vehicle tilted towards the passenger side.
Replaced the oil with Full Synthetic NOT the Blend.
How much oil did you get back in it? 6 or 7 quarts?

VelocityBronco said:
How much oil did you get back in it? 6 or 7 quarts?
i got 6.5 qtz out so i put 6.5 qtz in .... ran the engine, checked the dip stick and it looks at a hair under max.
the only thing was the little o-ring that goes on the oil filter stem .... it seems like it's a little thinner in the o-ring wall and it had a little play in it and .... was a little looser than the factory o-ring .... I dont know if i stretched it too much when i put it on

CORRECTION to my last post and ALARMING

I guesstimated my initial oil withdrawn from the engine so this morning I decided to measure it the best I could ... I poured all of the oil i had extracted into an extraction pump i use for different things around my home.

look at these pictures and tell me if you're not fkng shocked.

img-8020-jpg.jpg

img-8021-jpg.jpg

there is more than 7.5 Liters of oil in there .... about 7.93 Quarts !!!!!

this means that either the Dealership or the Factory overfilled the OIL and I have been driving around for 1600 plus miles with ECXCESS ENGINE OIL !!!!

WTF!!!!
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Step 1 before purchasing a new vehicle: Check fluid levels and give the entire vehicle a once-over.

Ford builds thousands of vehicles a day, vehicles are complicated, stuff can get missed here and there. That "ops" factor a big reason why the warranty exists... but yeah... still a good idea to give it a once-over yourself before you drive away.

My dealer actually has their techs give all new vehicles a look before they're sold. Smart... and it's amazing what they've found. On my last vehicle purchase they found a loose coolant hose.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kind of a no blood, no foul situation. You're less than a quart over on a 7qt fill, that probably wasn't even enough to get any foaming in the pan tbh. I wouldn't worry too much, and call it a lesson learned.

EcoBco

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This whole oil change debate confuses me. I did my initial oil change and got roughly 7.4qts out. How long did you let the oil drain for? Did you remove the filter housing before removing the drain plug?

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This whole oil change debate confuses me. I did my initial oil change and got roughly 7.4qts out. How long did you let the oil drain for? Did you remove the filter housing before removing the drain plug?
Whats confusing to you? That I received a vehicle from Ford brand new that was overfilled and WAY over the MAX mark on the dipstick?
I have no idea how much I got out bc I messed up and overfilled my catch pan, but the confusing part for me is, filling it with 6 quarts and seeing the dipstick at Full after sitting overnight.
I talked to my dealer, the techs say this is for sure a 7 quart system, and we need to wait "27 minutes" after running the engine to check oil level. 10 or 15 minutes is not long enough. Well I waited 9 HOURS, and it says FULL with 6 quarts...

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's an oil change, not micro machining. There will be some variance.
1 quart variance seems like a lot, even for mass production tolerances.

EcoBco

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whats confusing to you? That I received a vehicle from Ford brand new that was overfilled and WAY over the MAX mark on the dipstick?
I have no idea how much I got out bc I messed up and overfilled my catch pan, but the confusing part for me is, filling it with 6 quarts and seeing the dipstick at Full after sitting overnight.
I talked to my dealer, the techs say this is for sure a 7 quart system, and we need to wait "27 minutes" after running the engine to check oil level. 10 or 15 minutes is not long enough. Well I waited 9 HOURS, and it says FULL with 6 quarts...
It's confusing because everyone seems to have a different quantity removed. Also your truck wasn't overfilled from the factory. They purposely put in 7.5qts on the initial fill. Also they say that the engine oil consumption will reach normal level after 5,000km

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Step 1 before purchasing a new vehicle: Check fluid levels and give the entire vehicle a once-over.

Ford builds thousands of vehicles a day, vehicles are complicated, stuff can get missed here and there. That "ops" factor a big reason why the warranty exists... but yeah... still a good idea to give it a once-over yourself before you drive away.

My dealer actually has their techs give all new vehicles a look before they're sold. Smart... and it's amazing what they've found. On my last vehicle purchase they found a loose coolant hose.
Its part of the dealer prep to check all fluids prior to delivery to the customer .... they either skipped the oil or misread it and added extra

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

you see now? there it is again .... according to Ford the engine takes 7 quarts, but you got 7.4 quarts out of it!!
Oil started draining then i loosened the filter and after five minutes removed it to put the new filter o-rings on .... i kept it draining for a more than 20 minutes

Sponsored

EcoBco

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you see now? there it is again .... according to Ford the engine takes 7 quarts, but you got 7.4 quarts out of it!!
Oil started draining then i loosened the filter and after five minutes removed it to put the new filter o-rings on .... i kept it draining for a more than 20 minutes
According to the shop manual they say to remove the filter housing first before draining the oil. Also I noticed in your original post you stated that you tilted the vehicle to the passenger side. I would refrain from tilting the vehicle and do oil changes on level ground. I pulled my filter housing and let the oil drain while I cut my grass, approximately 30 minutes.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's confusing because everyone seems to have a different quantity removed. Also your truck wasn't overfilled from the factory. They purposely put in 7.5qts on the initial fill. Also they say that the engine oil consumption will reach normal level after 5,000km
Yes, and some seem to get 7 in and see it full and some get 6 in and see it full.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

According to the shop manual they say to remove the filter housing first before draining the oil. Also I noticed in your original post you stated that you tilted the vehicle to the passenger side. I would refrain from tilting the vehicle and do oil changes on level ground. I pulled my filter housing and let the oil drain while I cut my grass, approximately 30 minutes.
2nd on the leveling your vehicle. I had mine jacked up on the drivers side to remove the skid plates and take the plug out initially. I let it drain for a few and dropped it back to level and more oil came out.
Sponsored