John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know that not everyone is an Alexa fan, but I've been waiting to get the Alexa update mainly for home automation reasons. I had it in my last truck. I just showed up in my MY21 Bronco.

The kids also got used to "Song Quiz" which is one of the Alexa games that can be accessed. Good for killing time on longer drives.

After working initially, when I now access "Song Quiz" the prompt says I need a Ford data package for that application. Really? WTH. Is Ford really insisting or do I have a setting wrong, e.g. interaction issue with Apple Car Play??
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Alexa uses the vehicle’s connectivity for data. It was announced as a free trial period, which I thought was 3 months. But yes you will need to pay for data to use it. Mine is still working fine, but I don’t think I will pay when my trial runs out. I’ll go back to hitting the garage door button lol.

Lanshark

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought that Alexa was 3 years. ATT is 3 months for hotspot. I could still be on the trial, but I my Alexa doesn't work until Android Auto connects. I'm on 3.5.4 and 8.6xxx. Which sorta sucks while I'm waiting to connect AA to close the garage door by voice (over Meross app/skill). There's a first world problem for ya. I haven't done the garage door button yet because thats how thieves here access the house if you leave your car outside. Feels weird that the Alexa is more secure somehow lol.

OP
OP
JohnnyX

JohnnyX

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alexa uses the vehicle’s connectivity for data. It was announced as a free trial period, which I thought was 3 months. But yes you will need to pay for data to use it. Mine is still working fine, but I don’t think I will pay when my trial runs out. I’ll go back to hitting the garage door button lol.
Boy... Ford really struggles with this stuff. I could understand for Alexa functions that leverage or require vehicular specific data, but Song Quiz? Really? It's actually not a big deal for me but very telling in terms of Ford's understanding of its customers and how to commercialize vehicle connectivity.

Oddly, I am still able to turn on/off lights with Alexa as it is tied to my Samsung Smartthing hubs... no data required for this app yet. Through IFTTT app, can also close my garage door with Alexa. Hopefully no one at Ford sees this and decides to disable the function for those of us would will puke on a redundant and unnecessary data plan. In fact, I suspect it's only a matter of time before Ford asks me to use my cellular connection to make OTA updates (saving Ford the cellular charge).

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I thought that Alexa was 3 years. ATT is 3 months for hotspot. I could still be on the trial, but I my Alexa doesn't work until Android Auto connects. I'm on 3.5.4 and 8.6xxx. Which sorta sucks while I'm waiting to connect AA to close the garage door by voice (over Meross app/skill). There's a first world problem for ya. I haven't done the garage door button yet because thats how thieves here access the house if you leave your car outside. Feels weird that the Alexa is more secure somehow lol.
Your correct, its 3 years for Alexa, but 30 days for "streaming media", which sounds like what OP is missing with his song game.

Ford Bronco Alexa and Ford's Latest Power Up Update 1675272684827

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Boy... Ford really struggles with this stuff. I could understand for Alexa functions that leverage or require vehicular specific data, but Song Quiz? Really? It's actually not a big deal for me but very telling in terms of Ford's understanding of its customers and how to commercialize vehicle connectivity.

Oddly, I am still able to turn on/off lights with Alexa as it is tied to my Samsung Smartthing hubs... no data required for this app yet. Through IFTTT app, can also close my garage door with Alexa. Hopefully no one at Ford sees this and decides to disable the function for those of us would will puke on a redundant and unnecessary data plan. In fact, I suspect it's only a matter of time before Ford asks me to use my cellular connection to make OTA updates (saving Ford the cellular charge).
Alexa being a built in function of Sync, it requires the data from the built in connectivity. It can't access data on your phone through a bluetooth connection. I posted above, Alexa will work for 3 years free, but the "streaming media" part is a 30 day trial. Ford and At&t have an agreement for Fordpass functionality to be free, which includes the OTA updates. In the future they may lock the OTA updates to wifi, but it wont be your cell data plan. It can't function that way.

Lanshark

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh.. whoosh. missed the 'song' part, yeah, I also didn't keep the streaming part. Terrible messaging/marketing on their connectivity.

Speaking of smartthings, ya know the smartthings can be accessed through Android Auto right? I have some shortcuts for lighting and the garage door on AA when Alexa doesn't respond.

edit: just noticed OP is referring to Carplay, not AA, guess I'm wondering off topic here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnnyX

JohnnyX

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alexa being a built in function of Sync, it requires the data from the built in connectivity. It can't access data on your phone through a bluetooth connection. I posted above, Alexa will work for 3 years free, but the "streaming media" part is a 30 day trial. Ford and At&t have an agreement for Fordpass functionality to be free, which includes the OTA updates. In the future they may lock the OTA updates to wifi, but it wont be your cell data plan. It can't function that way.
I didn't realize that Alexa, just added over the recent OTA update, will expire in 3 years. Not sure what point the point would be unless Ford is paying Amazon. But why would they? People aren't buying Broncos because of Alexa (it might actually be the opposite based on threads in Bronco6G).

I assume that I can activate home controls through Alexa in my car because Alexa is tied to my personal account which is linked to SmartThings. In this case, there really isn't any streaming through phone to car. But still, if I am effectively using Sync to host Alexa and speak to local instance of Alexa via in car microphone, why couldn't I trigger a streaming app as is currently done with Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

If Ford offered OTA updates that required me to allow them to use my cellular or wifi connection, I would not have an issue with it. Especially if the update offered meaningful items and was free. I guess this would require a more robust FordPass app in terms of function and security.

The sooner the car companies realize that they cannot be a cellular network reseller and that the data on the vehicle belongs to the owner, the better.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I didn't realize that Alexa, just added over the recent OTA update, will expire in 3 years. Not sure what point the point would be unless Ford is paying Amazon. But why would they? People aren't buying Broncos because of Alexa (it might actually be the opposite based on threads in Bronco6G).

I assume that I can activate home controls through Alexa in my car because Alexa is tied to my personal account which is linked to SmartThings. In this case, there really isn't any streaming through phone to car. But still, if I am effectively using Sync to host Alexa and speak to local instance of Alexa via in car microphone, why couldn't I trigger a streaming app as is currently done with Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

If Ford offered OTA updates that required me to allow them to use my cellular or wifi connection, I would not have an issue with it. Especially if the update offered meaningful items and was free. I guess this would require a more robust FordPass app in terms of function and security.

The sooner the car companies realize that they cannot be a cellular network reseller and that the data on the vehicle belongs to the owner, the better.
Just like you said, CarPlay and AA are simple faceplate apps. Your phone is doing all the work and accessing all the data. There is Bluetooth app control, but not any “raw data access” over Bluetooth, if that makes sense. Alexa was built as a sync integration, and not a simple app control. Effectively you can use Alexa without your phone paired or in the vehicle. It does not require your phone at all. Why they chose to integrate Alexa in this way, as we always have our phones right, I have no idea. The rabbit hole of additional revenue streams for Ford, Amazon, and ATT are probably on target.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford Bronco Alexa and Ford's Latest Power Up Update 1675278294607