First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for sharing! I am getting ready to install the 4wp 2 inch lift today on our OBX, this review makes me pumped to get it done!
Let us know how it goes. I just ordered my wheels for my Bronco which is not in production until August. They will be here on Monday. Gonna order the 4wp lift soon too. I am going with 35x11.50s instead of 35x12.50s. I don't want them too fat...
Sponsored

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

20210716_115850.jpg

The other day, I had a unique opportunity to take an extended test drive (about 3 hours) of this 4-dr OBX in Carbonized Gray with 2.7L Lux Roast Leather Soft Top. It has been upfitted with the Stage 1 package that 4WP is offering which includes a 2" lift, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires on 17" Method wheels, and spare tire relocation bracket. As you can see, the tires/wheels/lift changes the presence of the OBX Bronco over the stock configuration.

As many of you know, I have professed my love for the 2-dr Bronco. I'm still on Team Two Door, but I would be lying if I wasn't...
1f3b5.png
Tempted by the fruit of another.
1f3b5.png

A few quick observations about the 4-dr and this build in general:
  • The 4-dr needs the Sasquatch package or a similar upfitting that can accommodate upgraded wheels/tires. It changes the proportion and appearance. 32" and smaller tires and the Bronco looks mundane.
  • While the Sasquatch package is a tremendous value, there are other options to achieve the improved height/stance that will suit most people's use. Not everyone will be driving off road in difficult conditions. For those who just want the appearance while maintaining the stock capability, there are options that will accommodate those driver's needs.
  • Going with the Stage 1 package retains the standard painted flares and the tires/wheels exhibit a little poke.
20210716_111949.jpg

• The Carbonized Gray in the Florida sun really shined to what looked like Iconic Silver, but in the shade, it reverted to it's expected color. The carbonized gray while it may be viewed as a boring color really surprised me with the dynamic metal flake. Also, it tied together the shiny black grill and the other black components (modular bumper, wheels, B-pillar).
  • The Roast Leather was a surprise. It has always seemed to have an orange tone in the pictures and the dash (IP) having a metallic bronze tone. The brown leather was much darker and gave a rich look/feel to the interior.
20210716_111449.jpg

• This had the Lux with B&O sound system and I felt it sounded great with the top down the entire time. I'm not an audiophile, but to me the B&O is a much improved upgrade from the standard system.
  • Also, there was no noticeable hum from the tires on the road surface with the top down - not sure if that is attributed to the additional sound deadening included in the Lux.
  • If you are intending to go big, plan on a way to mitigate the step in/out. I've been critical of the factory steps that are included on the OBX. I don't like the appearance of them. I'm 6' and I'm glad this rig had them. On 35's with the lift, it would have been a pain in the ass to get in/out without the steps.
20210716_112006.jpg

For the test drive, I didn't want to just take it on a straight road at a higher speed. I chose the Ravine Gardens State Park for the road course. It is a unique geological feature where elevation is a struggle to find in Florida. There is a steep ravine that is surrounded by single lane one-way road course that consists of steep declines with sharply curved turns and switchbacks. I first drove the loop to locate pedestrians (popular with local residents for exercise) and any rangers/staff that would be working the trails. The coast was clear. I was in sport mode the entire time and proceeded to run the course like a slalom skier. It was exhilarating with it's handling. I ran the same loop a few times stopping off here/there to take photos of the natural surroundings.

20210716_113652.jpg

Knowing that I wasn't going to take it off road during the test drive, I still wanted to experience how it handled uneven surfaces at higher speeds. Palatka is an old city with many brick paved roads. They are expensive roads to maintain and being historical in nature, the city can't just pave over the bricks. And they can't justify the cost to maintain them as they should be so often the answer is to divert traffic off them and these historical streets often fall further in disrepair as they don't receive the use to justify the maintenance. There is such a road called Madison Ave. in Palatka that runs parallel with the main through-fare (Reid St.), but there are no stop signs in the one direction of travel. It begins down by Palatka Historical Society and the Bronson-Mulholland House.

20210716_121601.jpg

Madison Ave is brick paved the entire distance and is in terrible shape with dips and holes. It has a lower speed limit but that is usually determined by the fact that a vehicle can't travel over the road surface except at a slow speed to avoid damage. After seeing the KoH and Moab ride-alongs, I knew the Bronco could handle the road. It was more a matter if I could. I kept it in sport mode and tore down road and the entire time, the Bronco just absorbed every dip, bump, hole and it felt like I was floating on a cloud.

Update:

One other note that I failed to mention. People don't like the nannies, but I'm glad the Bronco had BLIS sensors. The Backup camera is not completely accurate especially on the periphery. If you backup straight, then it is fine. But if backing up while turning, the distance on objects on the periphery of the radius seemed to be farther away than actual. The BLIS sensors did their job with alerting me and not trusting the camera by itself. You can see in the picture below that the small stream was almost backed into for it's photo op.

20210716_112022-jpg.jpg

More photos:

Looking good at the boat launch on the St. Johns river.

20210716_120814-jpg.jpg

20210716_121227-jpg.jpg

Just 1 of many murals in this town.
20210716_120546-jpg.jpg
I can tell you enjoy photography...love how you used the scenery and natural charm of the neighborhood to showcase the truck. Wheels, tires and lift combo makes this OB a must have! and the carb gray looking good in that Florida sun. How did you feel choosing your lines when driving? Looking over the hood with that much lift, did it create any challenges?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That lift and tires ALMOST make me forget those lousy looking body colored wheel flares are still there.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't even convey to the group that I had to take a shower as soon as I got home as I felt like I was being unfaithful to Team Two Door. Oh wait... I guess I just did.
Dangit Kan, dont you go fallin in love with no 4dr now. Me and you are tighter than two coats of paint on team 2dr.

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What is the spare tire relocation bracket? I'm assuming it's the 4WP CHMSL bracket to clear the larger tires not actually moving the spare tire?
Yes, it just allows clearance for the fatty on gate.

How’s the road noise with the tires? These are what I’m looking at for my bronco also.
I had the top open the entire time as I didn't want to be seen in the wrinkled mess with the top up. I'm not sure if the reduction in road noise was due to the Lux and additional sound deadening, but I didn't notice any hum from the treads. On the cobblestone straight away that I tore up (I was over 45mph), there might have been more but that is more attributed to the whoops and dips and the bricks.

I can tell you enjoy photography...love how you used the scenery and natural charm of the neighborhood to showcase the truck. Wheels, tires and lift combo makes this OB a must have! and the carb gray looking good in that Florida sun. How did you feel choosing your lines when driving? Looking over the hood with that much lift, did it create any challenges?
The only challenge that I found was that I prefer riding taller. I'm 6' and I still rose my seat. I probably would have been hitting my head on the top if it was closed. With that in mind, the length of the hood wasn't a challenge. I actually like the trail sights to give a point of reference. I felt driving around town in the residential areas that making a right seemed to require a wider turn to avoid the insider rear tire rubbing against the curb. The 4-dr is a long boi. With regards to the slalom road course, it helped knowing that is was one-way and I scouted ahead of my fast laps. I was able to take the inside corner line tight and weave to the next turn all while maintaining my increased speed on the steep gradient. There is only one turn on that road that is a switchback (>120 degree turn) that required me to slow down.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you look closely you can see Beach_Bum in the headlight, true to character in flip flops. :ROFLMAO:
I didn't notice that when I posted. Yeah, I'm in flips all the time except when I'm at the gym. And true to my handle, I was at the beach today. I figure no one wants to see me so I never included any photos that did. Apparently, there are a few that are looking so I'll make it easy just this once.
Ford Bronco Almost Seduced By The 4-Door Siren's Song -- 4WP Stage 1 Bronco on 2" lift, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires & 17" Method wheels 20210716_112719

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I didn't notice that when I posted. Yeah, I'm in flips all the time except when I'm at the gym. And true to my handle, I was at the beach today. I figure no one wants to see me so I never included any photos that did. Apparently, there are a few that are looking so I'll make it easy just this once.
Not some weird stalker / Just noticed it when I zoomed in to check out the Bronco. The flips made me laugh: of course!

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Liking the look of and OBX with aftermarket lift, wheels, and tires. So much so that I had to look a B&P to get an idea of what it would cost.

jimwalston

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition 2017 STI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
What is the offset of the wheels?
I couldn't find the stage one package on 4WP webiste.

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice. Thanks for sharing.
What is the offset of the wheels?
I couldn't find the stage one package on 4WP webiste.
I didn't find out the offset. But with the 35's, there is only a little poke outside of the stock painted flares.
Ford Bronco Almost Seduced By The 4-Door Siren's Song -- 4WP Stage 1 Bronco on 2" lift, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires & 17" Method wheels 20210716_123101

Keep in mind the DSI is just an intermediary between 4WP and dealers. I presume DSI negotiates a better deal than what you and I would pay. When DSI sells the packages, it allows for some meat on the bone for dealers to markup. I was not privy to the costs of the stage 1 kit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Liking the look of and OBX with aftermarket lift, wheels, and tires. So much so that I had to look a B&P to get an idea of what it would cost.
I know some hate the painted bits of the OBX, but I prefer them down in Florida. The sun can be brutal on plastics here in Florida. And we have all seen the Chevy Avalanche with it's mountains of faded gray plastic accents. I would find a bridge abutment to drive into if the Bronco ended up looking like that.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not some weird stalker / Just noticed it when I zoomed in to check out the Bronco. The flips made me laugh: of course!
Heck in Hawaii he gets credit for having even flip flops (aka. slippahs) ... most people who go beach go barefoot

OP
OP
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Heck in Hawaii he gets credit for having even flip flops (aka. slippahs) ... most people who go beach go barefoot
I'm not a monster. I don't wear the flips on the beach, but damn the dry sand can be a scorcher after noon.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I knew you would come around to the dark side of things...
#teammoardoors
Now I want that as my vanity plate: MOARDORZ :)(8 character limit here).