Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was planning a similar route with my family next year (Lake City to Silverton via Engineer Pass and Animas Fork) in our 2 door non-sas BD. Will be bone stock at that time. Did you run into any clearance issues? Any thoughts on the stock BD making it through there?
Thats my backyard.
I've seen FWD sedans make it as far as Burrows Park from Lake City.
Lake City-Silverton-Animas Forks can all be done in a stock 4x4.
The Syracuse Mine Switchback is the only real 'obstacle' on the Alpine Loop, and it's
really just a shelf switchback.

You'll be good.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@ChrisCozart How crowded were the trails? I have this on my bucket list, but recently heard a complaint that some of the trails are overrun with ATVs, UTVs, and SxSs.
This trip was the weekend after Labor day, which is when everything there starts to slow down, so the trails were the most empty I've seen them. I have been up there in high season when the trails were a bit crowded, but if you don't mind a few more stops along the trail for passing, it's still a great place to visit. Also, I did notice a big influx in side by sides....more than I've seen in the past and the numbers of SxSs were about equal to jeeps.

OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was planning a similar route with my family next year (Lake City to Silverton via Engineer Pass and Animas Fork) in our 2 door non-sas BD. Will be bone stock at that time. Did you run into any clearance issues? Any thoughts on the stock BD making it through there?
I think stock will have no big issues but may get your money's worth from the skid plates if you pick some bad lines in a few places along the trail. I personally didn't have any clearance issues but I did put on a 2" lift and upgraded to 285/70 KO2s, which gave me a few more inches over stock. I hope you get to go. The family will love it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice!! That setup is amazing and looks great!

I put my stock bd to the test before mods. Blew my mind what she could handle! I mean minus heavy crawling it was good everywhere else.

I since upgraded to 285s and recently swapped the hitachi cos with a badlands non-sas so have a similar stance now. Couldn't be happier for what I get into. Just need to add a winch now.
Your rig sounds awesome. I passed on the winch since I didn't want to carry the weight around for the life of the truck where I'd probably only use it a few times a decade. Instead, I got a hitch with a tow shackle and a recovery rope and will be 100% reliant on a nice stranger to pull me out in the event I ever put myself in a situation to get stuck.

Sponsored

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have been planning this trip since I took delivery of my Bronco 2-door Black Diamon back in January. In preparation for a long weekend camping trip to flex "The Stomper" around the Alpine loop, I installed a few essential to make the trip more enjoyable: 2" Zone Off-Road lift/level kit, 285/75 KO2, IAG rock rail step, underbody rock lights, Smittybilt gen. 2 roof top tent, leveling blocks, Curt hitch and receiver with recover shackle, rear gate table, my first GoPro with a DIY dash mount, and a few other camping odds and ends.

With the rear seats folded down, I loaded the cargo area with all my gear and double-checked to ensure the rooftop tent was securely attached to the factory roof rack, then headed out for what would be a 1665-mile round trip where my 2.7 averaged 16.4 MPG (for those that are interested). Lake City, CO is in the Southwest part of Colorado near the Rio Grande National Forrest and is also the starting point for the North side of the Alpine Loop.

On the day of our arrival, we quickly staked out a prime "first come first serve" campsite along the trail, then the wife and I head up an almost hidden road to the Carson Ghost town. After eating a late lunch with the ghosts in Carson, next to a small stream that seemed to start from nowhere and end somewhere, we explored for a bit before heading back to camp. With the Bronco on leveling blocks and the rooftop tent setup, we started a campfire, and relaxed as the pink/blue mountain sky was replaced by a dark purple/black abyss filled only with twinkling stars and a late-rising full moon.

The second full day of bucking the Bronco along the Alpine loop was dedicated to circling the entire Northern part of the loop, which climbed rocky roads up to and over Engineer Pass. Stunning views while going up the trail and breaking through the tree line to the mars-like landscape up at the 12,800 ft. peak. The trip down on the narrow shelf roads was fun but certainly not for anyone with vertigo. And there were a couple of spots where my short wheelbase two-door lifted the rear end off the ground more than I liked while diving nose first down a rock face that could not be avoided. We did venture off the trail for just a bit to some less traveled side trials that lead to mostly nowhere, but with help of my cartographer-like wife reading the pocket-size trail guide, we found an opening to an abandoned mine that wasn’t well visited but did have one Jeep parked down at the bottom of the trail that leads to it. But rather than park, I pushed some buttons and pulled some levers (GOAT rock crawl mode), pointed it at the steep trail, and let the Bronco chauffer us past the nervous jeep driver and up the trail to the mine opening. After a bit of exploring the mine, we headed back down the trail towards the exit side of the North loop but did have to take a necessary detour to (what should be the World Famous) American Basin within the Alpine Loop. Just a quick splash through a small stream and past some Subaru owners who parked their Outback up the road a bit so it would not get wet. My inner child wanted to splash them, but I know what it is like to hike in wet clothes, and I didn’t want them to have to get their Subaru seats wet.

From American Basin, I took some more “Bronco in its natural habitat” pictures before heading back to camp for the evening and early bedtime, so we could wake at sunrise, pack up camp and start the 13-hour drive back to North Texas.

All-in-all, my wife and I had a blast. I found that my non-Sas Black Diamond is WAY more capable than I was expecting! I have done that loop in other off-road vehicles, but the Bronco has off-road capabilities in spades that made this a high-altitude, bumpy, scenic, 4-wheeling cakewalk!

Pics: Bridge to the campsite, Carson Ghost town, Engineer Pass, Engineer Pass 2, Bronco in the wild 1, Bronco in the wild 2, Bronco in the wild 3, Roof Top Tent at night with under-body rock lights, Bronco on Mars, American Basin. I have GoPro videos but they are too large to post. I may find a way to load them on Youtube and post a link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiAOt9IHwblk2U8PombOaw

Ford Bronco Alpine Loop, CO - Finally Flexing my Black Diamond non-Sas. 20220817_105812

Ford Bronco Alpine Loop, CO - Finally Flexing my Black Diamond non-Sas. 20220817_105812

OMG......GORGEOUS PICS........But damn....you made that rooftop ten look like a damn hotel bed in that pic.....Hahahahahahha!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!

TheRealCobraBurnout

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice Bronco and that looks and sounds like a great trip.

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just out that way myself last month, took day trip out of Durango. Stock Big Bend, no problem.
Was loving this thread but seeing your '21 RR stock BB do it made it much closer to home for me.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did not.

Stock was 31” and new size is 33” so not a huge difference. Changed my Speedo 2mph but no noticeable difference otherwise. Glad for the extra rubber, though.
2 door BD codes with 31” stock?!? 4 door non-SAD BD comes with 32”.

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is awesome...want to look forward to doing such trails when my BD arrives but now may have to think twice or thrice given the 2.7L fuel pump issues...is yours a 2.7L?

Sponsored

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry...ignore my question..just read your signature

Evans67bro

Black Diamond
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 67Bronco,2022 BD,2023 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very cool. I love the black diamond we have. Bucket list to go out west and use it some day!

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gorgeous pics! Silly semi-serious question: with a RTT and all your gear in your vehicle, how did you stake out your prime camping spot while you were out exploring? That's always been one of the drawbacks to me of a RTT vs. a trailer or even a ground tent, so I'm curious as to what you did.

wally

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I like your setup very much!!! Nicely though-out camping!!!

BlakeD69

Badlands
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been planning this trip since I took delivery of my Bronco 2-door Black Diamon back in January. In preparation for a long weekend camping trip to flex "The Stomper" around the Alpine loop, I installed a few essential to make the trip more enjoyable: 2" Zone Off-Road lift/level kit, 285/75 KO2, IAG rock rail step, underbody rock lights, Smittybilt gen. 2 roof top tent, leveling blocks, Curt hitch and receiver with recover shackle, rear gate table, my first GoPro with a DIY dash mount, and a few other camping odds and ends.

With the rear seats folded down, I loaded the cargo area with all my gear and double-checked to ensure the rooftop tent was securely attached to the factory roof rack, then headed out for what would be a 1665-mile round trip where my 2.7 averaged 16.4 MPG (for those that are interested). Lake City, CO is in the Southwest part of Colorado near the Rio Grande National Forrest and is also the starting point for the North side of the Alpine Loop.

On the day of our arrival, we quickly staked out a prime "first come first serve" campsite along the trail, then the wife and I head up an almost hidden road to the Carson Ghost town. After eating a late lunch with the ghosts in Carson, next to a small stream that seemed to start from nowhere and end somewhere, we explored for a bit before heading back to camp. With the Bronco on leveling blocks and the rooftop tent setup, we started a campfire, and relaxed as the pink/blue mountain sky was replaced by a dark purple/black abyss filled only with twinkling stars and a late-rising full moon.

The second full day of bucking the Bronco along the Alpine loop was dedicated to circling the entire Northern part of the loop, which climbed rocky roads up to and over Engineer Pass. Stunning views while going up the trail and breaking through the tree line to the mars-like landscape up at the 12,800 ft. peak. The trip down on the narrow shelf roads was fun but certainly not for anyone with vertigo. And there were a couple of spots where my short wheelbase two-door lifted the rear end off the ground more than I liked while diving nose first down a rock face that could not be avoided. We did venture off the trail for just a bit to some less traveled side trials that lead to mostly nowhere, but with help of my cartographer-like wife reading the pocket-size trail guide, we found an opening to an abandoned mine that wasn’t well visited but did have one Jeep parked down at the bottom of the trail that leads to it. But rather than park, I pushed some buttons and pulled some levers (GOAT rock crawl mode), pointed it at the steep trail, and let the Bronco chauffer us past the nervous jeep driver and up the trail to the mine opening. After a bit of exploring the mine, we headed back down the trail towards the exit side of the North loop but did have to take a necessary detour to (what should be the World Famous) American Basin within the Alpine Loop. Just a quick splash through a small stream and past some Subaru owners who parked their Outback up the road a bit so it would not get wet. My inner child wanted to splash them, but I know what it is like to hike in wet clothes, and I didn’t want them to have to get their Subaru seats wet.

From American Basin, I took some more “Bronco in its natural habitat” pictures before heading back to camp for the evening and early bedtime, so we could wake at sunrise, pack up camp and start the 13-hour drive back to North Texas.

All-in-all, my wife and I had a blast. I found that my non-Sas Black Diamond is WAY more capable than I was expecting! I have done that loop in other off-road vehicles, but the Bronco has off-road capabilities in spades that made this a high-altitude, bumpy, scenic, 4-wheeling cakewalk! ...

Very nice build and great pics of CO mountain time.
Sponsored