First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks...and....not to bust your bubble but the BD does have heated seats with the mid-package....just not a heated steering wheel, which only comes with the LUX package...and that is only available in the upper models. Did you mean to say heated steering wheel?
You can’t get the mid package on a BD if you have the manual transmission 😀

and a stick shift was non-negotiable for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can’t get the mid package on a BD if you have the manual transmission 😀

and a stick shift was non-negotiable for me.
Sorry, I understand now. I too would have loved the manual transmission but wanted the mid-package as well as the 2.7. Some odd-ball forced combinations we have to navigate when building out these things. I hope your BL is bringing you the same joy as the BD would have.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry, I understand now. I too would have loved the manual transmission but wanted the mid-package as well as the 2.7. Some odd-ball forced combinations we have to navigate when building out these things. I hope your BL is bringing you the same joy as the BD would have.
i do love my Bronco very much, but still would have preferred a BD over the BL just from a monetary standpoint.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thats my backyard.
I've seen FWD sedans make it as far as Burrows Park from Lake City.
Lake City-Silverton-Animas Forks can all be done in a stock 4x4.
The Syracuse Mine Switchback is the only real 'obstacle' on the Alpine Loop, and it's
really just a shelf switchback.

You'll be good.

I thought Engineer was much harder this year on the Ouray side past Animas. It's a lot more trail on that side.

OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I thought Engineer was much harder this year on the Ouray side past Animas. It's a lot more trail on that side.
The switchbacks and some obstacles coming down from Engineer pass to Animas and from Animas back up to Cinnamon pass did seem to be more weathered and taller than I remembered, but I was fortunate to be coming at them going down rather than climbing them. Next year I'm planning to base somewhere near Silverton so I can spend all my time on the South side of the loop.

Sponsored

ColoradoKid26

Badlands
First Name
Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The switchbacks and some obstacles coming down from Engineer pass to Animas and from Animas back up to Cinnamon pass did seem to be more weathered and taller than I remembered, but I was fortunate to be coming at them going down rather than climbing them. Next year I'm planning to base somewhere near Silverton so I can spend all my time on the South side of the loop.
Yeah, the Syracuse Mine switchback south of Engineer was noticeably more torn-up for sure. It appeared more people were using the inside line to get around the mini shelf. The 'T' in the road at Animas was more rocky and loose than I can remember this year.

I haven't been through California to Hurricane Pass yet this year, but I'm thinking of going over to Lake Como and down Poughkeepsie in a week or so. I'll post an AAR with pics when I go.

I'd base North of Howardsville or Eureka to avoid some of the campground madness down lower.
Minnie Gulch waterfall would be an awesome basecamp.

Traveling.Gaijin

Badlands
First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep XJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This trip was the weekend after Labor day, which is when everything there starts to slow down, so the trails were the most empty I've seen them. I have been up there in high season when the trails were a bit crowded, but if you don't mind a few more stops along the trail for passing, it's still a great place to visit. Also, I did notice a big influx in side by sides....more than I've seen in the past and the numbers of SxSs were about equal to jeeps.
Was in the area this past week too and the amount of SxS's was insane. Whole pack of them sitting at the center of Odom point eating lunch like assholes while everyone is trying to get pictures. My distain for SxS's grows every time i am out

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My back yard. That's the trim I will go for when I order, 2dr Black Diamond with the mid-package, 2.3 auto. Seems to be the best overall value for the money. Mine will be a daily driver that takes an occasional run exactly where you went. I have a built Jeep for the harder trails.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sunday we went over Cinnamon and Engineers in a clockwise direction from Lake City. Black Diamond sasquatch could do more than my skill level. Going up Engineer from Animas Forks we were forced in a couple places to crawl rocks due to the number of buggys coming down. With front locker and good tires we looked like pros. Only really felt the ole pucker power a couple times which was enough.

E2314A9C-F599-4D0C-B7D8-01108BDBB41C.jpeg

7F467AF9-8701-4CBD-9E7F-BC63E94C4BD2.jpeg

0120E9B2-0944-477E-B032-5C7D1E959CA9.jpeg

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
joining in, good day you all
I live in Durango an can't wait to do the loop, so looking for one or two fellow puckers

I have a stock BD with 33' tires, so only rear locker - any thoughts whether this can master the challenge?

if any of you want to ride, give a shout!

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was in the area this past week too and the amount of SxS's was insane. Whole pack of them sitting at the center of Odom point eating lunch like assholes while everyone is trying to get pictures. My distain for SxS's grows every time i am out
I agree that there were more SxS's than trucks on the trail when I was there. I don't think the nature of SxS drivers is to be intentionally irreverent, but I do think that during the "peak seasons" most of the SxS drivers are only visiting the area and renting them for daily use, so their lack of trail etiquette is really lack of experience....but there is the possibility that some are just oblivious. ;-)

OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
joining in, good day you all
I live in Durango an can't wait to do the loop, so looking for one or two fellow puckers

I have a stock BD with 33' tires, so only rear locker - any thoughts whether this can master the challenge?

if any of you want to ride, give a shout!
I'd join you every weekend if I were local....if there is ever a warm season meet-up with you and a local club, give me a shout...it may be worth a 13-hour drive for a long weekend of trail riding.

My BD is stock with a 2" lift and 33" KO2s...most of the flatter parts of the trail I did in 4H with no locker, and some of the trails were in 4L with no lockers, but when I got to the most difficult parts, I did have to engage the rear locker, and with just the rear locker I was able to easily climb over any and everything. I know a front locker has a purpose, but not sure anything along the Alpine loop would require one.

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The BD trim was what I originally ordered but because Ford product marketing are a bunch of donkeys, they got me for another $5K+ because I upgraded to the BL to get the heated seats.

I did think the stabar disconnect was a gimmick until I went to the off-roadeo. It makes a big diff on sloppy roads, but I would have gladly stayed with the BD and given up that and the front lockers if I could have had the heated seats.

As much as I love my Bronco, it still irritates me that Ford didn't offer a "cold weather" package that could be added to any trim level. They used to do that (that is what we added to an Explorer we had back in the day), but some Ivy League donkey decided to hose their customers.

Looks like you had a great trip! The photos were great. Did you look at any other rooftop tents other than what you went with?
Thanks...and....not to bust your bubble but the BD does have heated seats with the mid-package....just not a heated steering wheel, which only comes with the LUX package...and that is only available in the upper models. Did you mean to say heated steering wheel?
I added the mid package to my BD that is being built in October.

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This makes sense now. He is correct.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My skill would never allow me to use a stick on the rough in 4low. I would not know when to shift and then you have to let go of the wheel. you guys have my respect!!!
Sponsored