First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My skill would never allow me to use a stick on the rough in 4low. I would not know when to shift and then you have to let go of the wheel. you guys have my respect!!!
You should give it a try. People were wheeling in stick vehicles long before automatics became available. Everyone is a novice until they practice.
Sponsored

midwesterpioneer

Base
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F150, 2006 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are those factory roof racks? I have the same RTT but have been hesitant to use it on my 2dr. Maybe less so now if you haven't had any issues.

OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Are those factory roof racks? I have the same RTT but have been hesitant to use it on my 2dr. Maybe less so now if you haven't had any issues.
Yes, I'm using the factory roof rack. In order for the SmittyBilt gen. 2 tent to span across the roof rack cross members, I did have to move the front cross member back. And to do that I screwed the front of the cross member into the backmost hole for the front cross member, then drilled and mounted a new M6-1.0 Jack Nut (identical to factory size), and mounted the back of the front cross member to that new jack nut. Essentially just moving the front cross member back the length of the cross member. I hope the image helps to show the new mounting spot located behind the original rear spot to allow the cross member to be set back "one lenght" of the member. And this link for the jack nuts - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0O9UBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - is the bag of M6-1.0 jack nuts I ordered. I'm sure you can get just 2 of them from NAPA but I wanted more for future projects where I may want to use the same M6-1.0 "Bronco Bolts" for other things. I did go to ACE hardware to get 2 bolt covers to cover the front two mounting nuts so they aren't exposed. A couple of bucks, some time, and the willpower to drill/mount new jack nuts saved me from having to buy a roof rack for my roof rack. I hope this helps. Forgot to add...no issues with how sturdy the mounting is and no issues with the dynamic/static weights on the factor rack.
Ford Bronco Alpine Loop, CO - Finally Flexing my Black Diamond non-Sas. IMG_E3478.JPG

Last edited:

midwesterpioneer

Base
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, I'm using the factory roof rack. In order for the SmittyBilt gen. 2 tent to span across the roof rack cross members, I did have to move the front cross member back. And to do that I screwed the front of the cross member into the backmost hole for the front cross member, then drilled and mounted a new M6-1.0 Jack Nut (identical to factory size), and mounted the back of the front cross member to that new jack nut. Essentially just moving the front cross member back the length of the cross member. I hope the image helps to show the new mounting spot located behind the original rear spot to allow the cross member to be set back "one lenght" of the member. And this link for the jack nuts - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0O9UBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - is the bag of M6-1.0 jack nuts I ordered. I'm sure you can get just 2 of them from NAPA but I wanted more for future projects where I may want to use the same M6-1.0 "Bronco Bolts" for other things. I did go to ACE hardware to get 2 bolt covers to cover the front two mounting nuts so they aren't exposed. A couple of bucks, some time, and the willpower to drill/mount new jack nuts saved me from having to buy a roof rack for my roof rack. I hope this helps. Forgot to add...no issues with how sturdy the mounting is and no issues with the dynamic/static weights on the factor rack.
Ford Bronco Alpine Loop, CO - Finally Flexing my Black Diamond non-Sas. IMG_E3478.JPG
Super helpful, thank you! Saving this post for when I put my hardtop and racks back on this fall.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You should give it a try. People were wheeling in stick vehicles long before automatics became available. Everyone is a novice until they practice.
Not to mention, the Crawler gear is like cheating. Makes it easy if you're going slow or uphill. You just drive normally (but slowly) in situations you would have thought would be tough on a clutch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Super helpful, thank you! Saving this post for when I put my hardtop and racks back on this fall.
very welcome. And if that is your rig in your profile pic....love it. Is that an aftermarket or factorty soft top? And any issues with taking it off and putting the hard top back on? I was concerned that adding all of the extra weather stripping and hardware for the software top would make it difficult to put the factor MIC top back on....and then going back to the software top in spring; would you have to re-install all new weather stripping assuming it was removed for hard top re-install? Thanks,

midwesterpioneer

Base
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

very welcome. And if that is your rig in your profile pic....love it. Is that an aftermarket or factorty soft top? And any issues with taking it off and putting the hard top back on? I was concerned that adding all of the extra weather stripping and hardware for the software top would make it difficult to put the factor MIC top back on....and then going back to the software top in spring; would you have to re-install all new weather stripping assuming it was removed for hard top re-install? Thanks,
That's mine! I'll have to get back with you on ease of switching back to the hardtop. From what I've read it's not too difficult. Most if not all the mounting hardware will have to come off but I should be able to keep the weather stripping in place. It's an aftermarket top, Bestop Trektop with black twill material.

midwesterpioneer

Base
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's mine! I'll have to get back with you on ease of switching back to the hardtop. From what I've read it's not too difficult. Most if not all the mounting hardware will have to come off but I should be able to keep the weather stripping in place. It's an aftermarket top, Bestop Trektop with black twill material.
Swapped out soft to hard top this week. Whole process took maybe 90 minutes. Left on all the weather stripping that was adhered to the truck with no issue. Seems to help seal up around the base of the hardtop and reduce wind noise!
Sponsored