First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First off - I promise this isn’t a complaint thread.

I have a badlands on order (going on 2+ years now) and I’m sick of waiting.

I’ve already dropped the LUX and SAS from my order but I figured there was no way I was dropping the MIC.

But…I suppose I can always buy an aftermarket hard top (I know - not cheap). And at least this’ll net me $2500 on top of my PP (plus maybe I’ll finally get my bronco so my wife can stop hearing me complain about it).

so my question for soft top owners (especially in places with actual winter climates) - how do you like it? Do you regret not getting the MIC top?

I live in Colorado and spend a lot of time in the mountains. So for summer off-roading the easy conversion to “topless” is pretty appealing. But I’m mainly concerned about winter conditions (heat loss/blowing snow) plus noise concerns.

Just trying to gauge the quality of the soft top as well as get a sense of whether or not this is something I would really regret.

I appreciate any info or thoughts anyone wants to share.
Sponsored

Hedrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr EG Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Heat loss wasn’t an issue for me in <10 degree weather.

talked to someone on IG who had gone through the blowing snow on I-80 in Wyoming and said they’d had no problems. I’ll find out with the crosswinds up there in March 😁

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve already dropped the LUX and SAS from my order but I figured there was no way I was dropping the MIC.

But…I suppose I can always buy an aftermarket hard top (I know - not cheap). And at least this’ll net me $2500 on top of my PP (plus maybe I’ll finally get my bronco so my wife can stop hearing me complain about it).

so my question for soft top owners (especially in places with actual winter climates) - how do you like it? Do you regret not getting the MIC top?

I live in Colorado and spend a lot of time in the mountains. So for summer off-roading the easy conversion to “topless” is pretty appealing. But I’m mainly concerned about winter conditions (heat loss/blowing snow) plus noise concerns.

Just trying to gauge the quality of the soft top as well as get a sense of whether or not this is something I would really regret.

Ford Bronco Alright Ford you broke me - question for soft top owners IMG_0597

This is mine in December. No issues with the snow on it, and that's about a foot or so just overnight.

It holds in the heat really well (I've been in -10 C or colder), and the road noise is definitely there, but nothing I wasn't expecting. It's a bit harder to talk on the phone via Bluetooth but it's do-able. Overall the soft top is much better than I expected. That being said, I did pre-order an ADV hardtop as I'd prefer one and don't actually take the top off as often as I thought. At least this way I can still remove a couple panels if I want to.

If I'm looking for a downside to the soft top, it does pour water into the vehicle when you open the door. The water really has no gutter to drain, and I believe is a common issue on most soft top vehicles. I also think the hardtop look looks better vs. the wavy windows and soggy top when it rains. But those are just minor.

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In Minnesota, I love it!! Heat is not an issue and no snow in the inside.

childishtrandino

Badlands
First Name
Trandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also in Colorado and have had my Bronco with a soft top for over a year. Overall, it's fine. It got me my Bronco way sooner and I do love easily flipping the top back when the weather is nice. It doesn't leak and I've never noticed any heat loss with it. Noise is another thing, the wind noise is noticeable at higher speeds but my brain tends to block it out after a few minutes and its really not so loud that you can't have a conversation with someone. I would say it's reasonable. I do have some squeaks/rattles that seem to get worse with the cold. I do kind of wish I would have waited for the hard top because I think it looks better, I would like the option to easily install a roof rack and having a back window that has defrost/wiper and can be flipped up is way better than what you get with the soft top.

Sponsored

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

this is literally me... with a WT. I feel so seen....

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It. Is. So. Much. Fun!!!
I never knew you could have this much fun with a vehicle. And I've never had one that I had this much fun with. The only downside is indeed running with the side windows and back window out on the interstate in the rain. It is extraordinarily noisy and wearying. That's the only downside.

I will add this: installing the side and rear windows is Way Beyond a b****. So I tend to only do it once in the spring to pull them out and once in the fall to put them back.

Last edited:

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also live in Colorado and found one at MSRP in Minnesota with the soft top.

So far I don't regret it. Road noise is...OK, heat is NOT an issue.

I did just buy the Dirty Dog headliner and will install it this weekend to help with noise. It has good reviews.

I also partially took the top off last weekend we had near 60 degree weather and it was awesome!

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've only had my Bronco for a couple of weeks but I live in snowy Colorado. Zero leaks or heat loss for me, even in big snow storms with lots of wind. And it's not that loud. Users on this forum made it seem like you had to scream to talk to someone in the passenger seat at highway speeds, but that is not even close to true.

One tip I would give is to look into the DIrtyDog 4x4 headliner for the wintertime. It really improves the insulation and reduces the road noise that you hear.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No issues here and don’t have to worry about the hard top complaints.

Sponsored

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Alright Ford you broke me - question for soft top owners IMG_0597

This is mine in December. No issues with the snow on it, and that's about a foot or so just overnight.

It holds in the heat really well (I've been in -10 C or colder), and the road noise is definitely there, but nothing I wasn't expecting. It's a bit harder to talk on the phone via Bluetooth but it's do-able. Overall the soft top is much better than I expected. That being said, I did pre-order an ADV hardtop as I'd prefer one and don't actually take the top off as often as I thought. At least this way I can still remove a couple panels if I want to.

If I'm looking for a downside to the soft top, it does pour water into the vehicle when you open the door. The water really has no gutter to drain, and I believe is a common issue on most soft top vehicles. I also think the hardtop look looks better vs. the wavy windows and soggy top when it rains. But those are just minor.
The hard top doesn't drain water well either. It drips right inside the door if the window is down.

h8paleo

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm in Utah and I've been happy with my soft top. It's definitely no louder inside at hwy speeds than my 96 EB (I still have it for now so, yes I have done a side x side comparison). I used my Ford points to get the mesh top. We keep it on under the soft top. I got a moving blanked from Harbor Freight that was the perfect size to place on top of the mesh top. It does a good job insulating me from the cold and heat that the soft top gives off. Provides a little sound deadening as well. Let me know if you want to see pics. We wanted a hard top, but I'm actually really pleased with the soft top.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t own a soft top, but most of the people I know with Broncos do (including my next door neighbor)… and I’ve spent several hours in one.

Honestly, it’s solid. The wavy rear windows don’t look great, but that’s the only real downside from my experience. The noise level really isn’t any worse than my hard top Bronco, and being able to fold it back on a whim is fricken amazingly awesome. Sure you can pop out the roof panels on the hard top on a whim, but only the first two panels and you can’t go full-convertible mode.

The only downside, and the only reason why I ordered the MIC hard top, is that the soft top doesn’t work with roof racks, and I needed a roof rack. (But there are some aftermarket vendors working on that problem.)

@carrellslake already mention this, and it is so true. Hard top also lets water pour inside when you open the door. I have the wash-out floor so it isn’t a huge deal, but if it was carpet it would be extremely frustrating.

ChipM

Outer Banks
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 4 Door SD, 00 4 Door SD, 65 Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So Virginia here...temp issue isn't an issue. Noise was what I expected but dirty dog headliner helped.

I was originally an OBX for the hardtop but switched to soft for this reason. Got mine months ago and could not be happier. "Dropping" the top is so easy and fun that I find I am driving it more than planned. Taking the hard top off would have limited my use during summer months for sure. Heck we hit a sunny 58 yesterday and I picked kids up top down and they were stoked.
Sponsored