Sponsored

Alternatives to mud flaps for body protection?

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've never owned a (real) truck and am interested in some alternatives to mud flaps. I'm planning on at maximum 32-33" A/Ts and doing mostly regular road driving. Off-roading would be mostly dirt and sand (beach).

Perhaps there's something I don't know about and y'all can enlighten me, like some sort of adhesive body colored material like 3M makes for hoods so people don't get rock chips, etc.

I'll get mud flaps if that's all that really works but I don't think they look great.

I searched for related topics but didn't see anything.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not sure about the current market, but when I worked for an autoparts warehouse there was not something like that. Googling it (mud flap alternative) is your best bet. You probably won't even really need mudflaps unless you're really worried about it. Because it will happen either way. I'll look and see what i can find for you as well.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What are you trying to accomplish? Protect your own paint? Paint protection film. PPF. It's thick clear vinyl wrap

Stop rocks from flying everywhere (and also help protect your paint)? Mud flaps.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why? Mud flaps just get torn off and can even cause damage in the process. Go without.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Splashguards used on non commercial vehicles. Mud flaps are used on the larger trucks, mostly commercial.

From what I've seen, they've all been attached by screws ( drilling ), but I could be wrong. You really don't want something hanging low on your vehicle with off-roading, as they'll most likely get ripped off.

Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look at rally armor or rokblok. Both are technically mud flaps but look better. I've had them on a few cars and I know both make products for the raptor

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Why? Mud flaps just get torn off and can even cause damage in the process. Go without.
He's not gonna tear mud flaps off on dirt roads and beaches. Even if that was a concern, rokblokz makes quick detach flaps for the Jeep and there's no reason to think they won't do the same for the Bronco. And rokblokz makes a great product, one I've used on many different vehicles with no issues. Including my RZR which has seen far more serious offroading than the vast majority of peoples Broncos could even dream of seeing.

As far as I'm concerned, all trucks and suvs should be legally required to have flaps when they leave the factory.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
What are you trying to accomplish? Protect your own paint? Paint protection film. PPF
Yes, I'm trying to protect my own paint and also not hurt other people behind me on the highway.

I don't plan on doing all that much to get rocks and mud on my tires but like I said I haven't any experience with a real truck tire on the highway / civilian at least.

Thank you everyone for the replies!

It sounds from everyone's responses that I don't need them. That's good because I didn't really want them but I also don't want to be that jerk who hurts windshields behind him!

If that's the case and I don't need them, I'll look to get that paint protection film just for the long term.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have owned a wrangler for 7yrs with both 33s and 35s MT tires while having a 3” lift and open/exposed aftermarket fenders, have a truck on 35s MT tires w/ 6” lift, have a grand cherokee running larger AT tires...all go offroad and never even considered mud flaps.

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Explorer, 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mud flaps may not give the aggressive look that some want but they sure keep the side of the vehicle cleaner and free from rock, mud and other scratches/dings. Look smart to me but not everybody's cup of tea. Gives the Bronco a classis look. while protecting your vehicle and everyone on the road from unexpected dings and scratches. I'm in on these from Ford.

PS. A lot of overlander's run these for overall protection.

Gcsmith69

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak Bronco, Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Bronco is 1 week old and I would also like to find an alternative to mud flaps. I have a Wildtrak and it's been raining so I can see the potential for damage to the paint. I do not like the looks of mud flaps and I'm not really to excited about putting a film on the side doors and quarter panels.

I'm only concerned about the rocks from the front tires. It seems there should be an aftermarket alternative to address this.
Sponsored