First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Buddy went off roading with me in his Badlands. Got himself into way too deep of a puddle.. turns out it was like a 30” deep mud hole. Got stuck, and I had to winch him out.

he was in there for maybe 5 minutes.

totally fried the alternator. Truck had to be towed to a dealer.

I know, I know mud is bad. But if this vehicle supposedly can Ford 33.5 inches of water, then why did this destroy the alternator?

F2963EC5-7C7B-4744-B5F9-F8EE0E04EFB6.jpeg
Sponsored

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like your estimated 30 inches of water could’ve easily been deeper than that. I know it sucks, but taking any vehicle through water sort of becomes the owners fault and not the vehicle manufacturer.

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like your estimated 30 inches of water could’ve easily been deeper than that. I know it sucks, but taking any vehicle through water sort of becomes the owners fault and not the vehicle manufacturer.
Looks closer to 24” deep from the pic.
Ford put the alternators in a stupid location for a vehicle that’s meant to go off road.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is it a 2.7 or 2.3? The alternator location on the 2.7 is horrible for water/mud and why the Everglades only comes with the 2.3.
I've tried to look at pics to compare the two and it seems like the alternators are approximately the same height.

It will be great as the someone would measure from ground to alternator on the 2.7 versus the 2.3

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've tried to look at pics to compare the two and it seems like the alternators are approximately the same height.

It will be great as the someone would measure from ground to alternator on the 2.7 versus the 2.3

Not the best picture but the location on the 2.7 is lower and on the passenger.

Screenshot_20220704-094802_Gmail.jpg

Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New low, people hating on mud and water for a vehicle made to play....I guess ya'll have super clean engine bays and shiny tires and rims. I'm afraid to wash my engine bay, it might remove my protective coating.

Ford Bronco Alternator 100% destroyed from mudding IMG_3924

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not the best picture but the location on the 2.7 is lower and on the passenger.

Screenshot_20220704-094802_Gmail.jpg
Yeah the pics are rough but from the looks (sort of basing as related to the crank pully) the 2.3 only looks slighty higher... Not enough that it seems like it would really make a difference.

Bit it is hard to tell. A couple lunches, not going to help, 8 in then that could make a big difference.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah the pics are rough but from the looks (sort of basing as related to the crank pully) the 2.3 only looks slighty higher... Not enough that it seems like it would really make a difference.

Bit it is hard to tell. A couple lunches, not going to help, 8 in then that could make a big difference.
Agreed, it’s not obvious from these images that the placement of the alternator in the 2.3 is any or much better in this scenario.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's something else going on I took many of my 70's fords through worse than that including shallow ponds never a problem. Maybe something other than location.
Sponsored