Sponsored

Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles)

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Drove my Badlands 2.7 mid package tonight. Got a warning that my charging system needed service and I wasn’t getting a charge. The alternator came back on. Then stopped again - same thing happened and it came back on. Third drive, the alternator never started working. Curious if anyone has had a similar issue or knows of some Ford alternator quirk. Really upset because I need the Bronco to drive to NY and then Pittsburg for Thanksgiving.
Hello! Send us a private message with your Bronco’s VIN and current mileage. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!
Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello! Send us a private message with your Bronco’s VIN and current mileage. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!
OP - please be sure to document everything that this Ford team actually does for you.

when my 2016 mustang (in the year 2017) was failing in every possible way, the Ford customer service team did not accomplish anything.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hope they can get it done before Christmas. Warranty work seems to be 2-4 weeks out to get completed.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Should be easy to get a alternator

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Truck was towed to the dealer this morning using Ford Roadside Assistance. Dealer scheduled it for service tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. Hoping this is not a major issue and can be addressed same day. I appreciate Ford reaching out via this forum to offer assistance. I did have a minor issue early on with a paint chip. Ford was good about following up. Will let you know how it goes but expecting positive results (expecting negative results just makes for a bad day).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update. The alternator has failed. The dealer has ordered a new one. Ford Customer Service did call. Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do.

The bigger concern and it is a HUGE concern - the alternator can’t get wet. It is mounted low in the engine (below the 33.5 water fording depth). This is a major issue. I bought the truck to replace my Defender 110. Now I cannot go water or mud that may touch the bottom of the chassis.

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The alternator is located on the bottom of the engine. My understanding is that Jeep and the Land Rovers have them on top of the engine. Apparently if the alternator gets wet, it will fail. Ford advertised a 33.5” Water Fording ability but the alternator sits below 33.5”. This is a major problem for those that bought a Bronco with the thought of taking it off-road. The Bronco is a very good trail vehicle but any mud, puddles, water that reaches the bottom of the chassis should not be attempted. This is very frustrating. I sold my Defender 110 and purchased a Badlands to be my new daily driver/trail vehicle. I don’t even know if there is a way to fix this as it is not likely to have a new mounting location for the alternator. I presume we will see the water fording numbers to significantly decrease.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The alternator is located on the bottom of the engine. My understanding is that Jeep and the Land Rovers have them on top of the engine. Apparently if the alternator gets wet, it will fail. Ford advertised a 33.5” Water Fording ability but the alternator sits below 33.5”. This is a major problem for those that bought a Bronco with the thought of taking it off-road. The Bronco is a very good trail vehicle but any mud, puddles, water that reaches the bottom of the chassis should not be attempted. This is very frustrating. I sold my Defender 110 and purchased a Badlands to be my new daily driver/trail vehicle. I don’t even know if there is a way to fix this as it is not likely to have a new mounting location for the alternator. I presume we will see the water fording numbers to significantly decrease.
I don't see a bunch of issues, honestly. Most problems with water are due to intrusion in connectors. That would put the front diff locker connector, abs sensors, starter, front sensing system, shutters, winch, fog lights in harms way too. Submerged for long periods vs. submerged during water crossings are different situations. Send it!

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SBA - Don't park it in ponds. Check ✔

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't see a bunch of issues, honestly. Most problems with water are due to intrusion in connectors. That would put the front diff locker connector, abs sensors, starter, front sensing system, shutters, winch, fog lights in harms way too. Submerged for long periods vs. submerged during water crossings are different situations. Send it!
Unfortunately, I did go through muddy water. Alternator failed within a week. Was not submerged and vehicle was never stopped in water. Up to this point, I was absolutely loving the Bronco. Now I am really concerned about its potential limitations (and pissed that I am stranded for our family Thanksgiving trip).

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Correlation does not necessarily mean causation. Since this is the first reported alternator/muddy water failure I am thinking there’s more to the root cause of the failure than what you claim.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 or 2.3? I noticed the Alternator was lower on the F-150 2.7 than the Ranger 2.3 back when I made my order. Alternator location was one of my contributing factors on my decision back at order time.

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correlation does not necessarily mean causation. Since this is the first reported alternator/muddy water failure I am thinking there’s more to the root cause of the failure than what you claim.
“What I claim”?? I am relaying with the dealer told me. Internal failure of the alternator (not the connectors).

On the positive side, Ford reached out to me via private messenger on this site. Called me within 24 hours. Called the dealer to get an update. Tried to get me a loaner from the dealer (they didn’t have any) and called Enterprise to see about a loaner. I appreciate the effort but still have an underlying concern.
Sponsored